Remove ASTD Remove Community Remove Effectiveness Remove Rapid eLearning

5 Tips to Make Rapid E-Learning Interactive

Rapid eLearning

When building rapid elearning with PowerPoint it can be a challenge to get away from linear courses. The good thing is that PowerPoint isn’t limited to linear elearning. Building interactive elearning is just a matter of learning a few techniques. It’s easy enough to take any of these types of interactions and incorporate them into an interactive, decision-making elearning course that allows the learner to explore, pull in content, and make decisions.

5 Free Online Image Editors for Rapid E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

They also have a very active user community which is a plus and lots of tutorials. I like some of the pencil drawing effects and it can output to Flickr and Picasa. User community. My guess is the Polaroid frame would work well with some elearning screens. If you’re interested in learning more, you can add your name to this link and we’ll update you when more information is available. Louis (ASTD). Rapid E-Learning Workshop.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Why You Need PowerPoint 2010 for Rapid E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

Starting with PowerPoint 2007, there are many features that make the rapid elearning process much more efficient. I detailed some of those features in this post on why PowerPoint 2007 helps you build better elearning. I can’t cover everything in a single post, so I am going to share five of the features I use most when creating elearning content with PowerPoint 2010. PowerPoint lets me add all sorts of cool effects and shadows.

How to Be Successful at Rapid E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

Here’s what I find typical of people who do rapid elearning. The more courses they create, the more they realize they need to craft better learning experiences. I call this the rapid elearning story because it’s a story many people relate to. It’s also a great framework for learning to build courses. I shared more detail in the post on building a roadmap to better rapid elearning. Couple this with learning how to use the software.

7 Secrets to Getting the Graphics You Need for Rapid E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

It’s always so much fun getting to meet the blog readers and learning more about what people do in the real world. Two things always stand out during these trips: There is no one way to do elearning. Some people build courses, some create marketing material, and some use the rapid elearning software to create multimedia information. One of the sessions I did in Atlanta was on how to get the graphics you need for your rapid elearning courses.

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Kineos August Rapid e-Learning Newsletter

Learning Visions

Cammy Beans Learning Visions Musings on eLearning, instructional design and other training stuff. Thursday, August 23, 2007 Kineos August Rapid e-Learning Newsletter If youve been following my blog for awhile, then you already know how I feel about the folks at Kineo. They provide some fabulous (free) resources to the e-Learning community and have just been nominated the "Best New Kids on the Block" by the Brighton and Hove Business Awards.

MICHAEL ALLEN – CRYSTAL BALLING WITH LEARNNOVATORS

Learnnovators

Michael Allen, the CEO of Allen Interactions, is known for pioneering multimedia learning technologies, interactive instructional paradigms, and rapid-prototyping processes—bringing each forward into leading corporate enterprises. He was the founder and CEO of Authorware, a revolutionary eLearning authoring tool. ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW SERIES: ‘ Crystal Balling with Learnnovators ’ is a thought-provoking interview series that attempts to gaze into the future of e-learning.

Hey You Rapid e-Learning Peeps, Slooow Down and Take a Little Drive on the ISD Side of Town

eLearning Cyclops

When I read e-Learning Magazine's article by Bob Little, Rapid e-Learning Polarizes Opinion , I was very irked by it. While purists sneer that e-learning produced via rapid tools may lack quality in terms of adhering to instructional design principles and may just be brain dumps by subject matters experts, if such e-learning materials improve workers' performance, who can criticize their place in the learning and development armoury?"

ASTD 100

5 Time-saving Tips from the E-learning Community

Rapid eLearning

A few days ago I came across this thread in the user community. Dave’s question (and the feedback he got) really speak to the value of the user community and why you need to be part of it if you aren’t already. Some of my best ideas come from the questions I get from the community. So asking questions provides answers; but it also helps the experts broaden their skills, which in turn adds additional value to the community. Newspaper effect via Fodey.

Michael Allen – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

Michael Allen, the CEO of Allen Interactions, is known for pioneering multimedia learning technologies, interactive instructional paradigms, and rapid-prototyping processes—bringing each forward into leading corporate enterprises. He was the founder and CEO of Authorware, a revolutionary eLearning authoring tool. ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW SERIES: ‘ Crystal Balling with Learnnovators ’ is a thought-provoking interview series that attempts to gaze into the future of e-learning.

Are You Asking These Questions to Build Effective E-Learning?

Rapid eLearning

How we view effective elearning is somewhat subjective. For some it requires that all elearning center on performance. If it’s not, then how can it be effective? However, many elearning courses are less “learning” and more marketing. They’re about sharing information using elearning tools. For example, the human resources department is introducing a new bonus program and they want to have an “elearning course.” Louis (ASTD).

More Than 30 PowerPoint Tips from the PowerPoint Pros!

Rapid eLearning

A lot of rapid elearning hinges on PowerPoint. To help you learn more about PowerPoint I pulled together a solid list of PowerPoint resources. From The Rapid E-Learning Blog. Here are a few posts that cover some of the essentials tips and tricks required for successful PowerPoint-based rapid elearning. 5 PowerPoint tips essential for effective rapid elearning. Templates from the Rapid E-Learning Blog.

5 Free PowerPoint E-Learning Templates

Rapid eLearning

If you build rapid elearning courses, they can save time. And if you’re challenged for ideas or graphic design skills they also help bring a consistent and clean look to your rapid elearning courses so that you avoid the Frankencourse. With that said, the use of templates in elearning is a reality. Instead they offer a number of usable layouts that can be pulled from the template and used in other elearning courses. Got a favorite elearning tool?

How to Build an E-Learning Template in 30 Seconds

Rapid eLearning

This post on how to build an elearning template offers some good tips on where to look. I noted those areas that I could incorporate into an elearning course template. In the following image, you can see my mocked up screen and one way I could use it for an elearning course. It’s not a verbatim copy of the website, but as you look it over you’ll notice many similarities and how I worked elements of the web design into my rapid elearning template.

Are You Qualified to Build E-Learning Courses?

Rapid eLearning

In a recent post I made this comment about rapid elearning tools: Rapid elearning played a role in the evolution of elearning mostly because it took course creation out of the hands of a few programmers and placed it into the hands of anyone who wanted to create a course. We may say “elearning course” but it’s a term used loosely. The rapid elearning tools create all sorts of interactive multimedia that are not exclusively “elearning courses.”

ASTD 85

Does Your Client Need to Know You’re Using PowerPoint?

Rapid eLearning

But there’s a difference between elearning courses and slide presentations. However, it never fails that once someone knows you’re using PowerPoint to build the rapid elearning course, they apply the same rules to your elearning course that they’d apply to presentations. Despite all of the complaints about PowerPoint it’s a very diverse product that is used to create everything from vector illustrations to elearning courses. Rapid E-Learning Workshop.

The Guiding Principle for all Rapid E-Learners

Rapid eLearning

Typically elearning courses start from existing content. The guiding principle for rapid elearning design is to be intentional. Many elearning courses start as classroom content that needs to be converted and put online. Or subject matter experts hand you a bunch of PowerPoint slides that they want to turn into elearning courses. As I’ve mentioned in the past, elearning courses have three essential elements. July 18: Knoxville, TN ( Smoky Mountain ASTD ).

Guide 78

e-Learning Glossaries

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 12/05/2010 e-Learning Glossaries Think about e-Learning. e-Learning applications and processes are constantly changing and evolving, and the e-Learning community has members all over the world. Ecampus Ecampus glossary provides definitions of e-Learning.

3 Simple Ways to Find the Resources You Need to Build E-Learning Courses

Rapid eLearning

Rapid elearning design is made up of three core functions: rapid authoring, rapid assets, and rapid instructional design. One thing common to many rapid elearning developers is that while their organizations will fund the purchase of rapid authoring tools, they do little else to fund the development of the assets required to make the elearning course look good and be effective. Visit the E-Learning Junk Yard.

The Next Generation of E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

Rapid elearning played a role in the evolution of elearning mostly because it took course creation out of the hands of a few programmers and placed it into the hands of anyone who wanted to create a course. I see this as the democratization of elearning. In fact, the industry used to spend a lot of time talking about the programming part of elearning. But now we’re spending that time discussing instructional design and effectiveness of elearning.

ASTD 83

Here’s the First Step When Building Interactive E-Learning Courses

Rapid eLearning

On past projects, many of my customers would ask for interactive elearning courses. When I asked them how they defined interactive elearning courses they’d usually list things like fancy mouseovers, drag-and-drop interactions, and a host of other ways to interact with the screen. In fact, that type of interactivity is an important part of building effective and interactive elearning courses. Interactive E-Learning Courses: Create an Immersive Experience.

A Dozen Handpicked E-Learning Resources

Rapid eLearning

Odds are that during the summer months elearning wasn’t on the top of your list. So I decided to weed through some rapid elearning information and pull out a few posts that you may have missed. And of course, there are some free PowerPoint elearning templates, too. Handpicked E-Learning Tutorials. At the recent ASTD conference we demonstrated a bunch of elearning tips and tricks. Tips on building content for your elearning portfolio.

An Easy Way to Build Branched Scenarios for E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

Part of the discussion revolved around designing some simple scenario strategies to move the projects away from linear elearning and towards meaningful interactivity. These decision-making activities are used to reinforce what you want her to practice and learn so that your courses have real-world impact. As I’ve shared before, I like to use what I call the “3C model” to construct my scenarios or interactive elearning. Some elearning courses are more like marketing pieces.

ASTD 73

Free e-Learning books

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 11/14/2010 Free e-Learning books Since I am a great fun of open source software ( Open Source Authoring Tools for e-Learning , Free and Open Source Web Conferencing Tools for e-Learning ) and active member of online communities I created the following list with free e-Learning books. =>

Lectora User Conference Showcase: Jeremy Boles

Trivantis

Community Forum. e-Learning Authoring Software Made Easy. Web-based Collaborative e-Learning Authoring. Affordable Rapid e-Learning. Learning & Talent Management Systems. Fast, Flexible & Powerful Learning Management. Enterprise Learning Management System. Mobile Learning. Mobile eLearning Platform for All mLearning. -->. Affordable Rapid e-Learning. -->. Community Forum. Forum.

10 Tips to Help You Get Started

Rapid eLearning

I get lots of questions from those who are just getting started with rapid elearning. They want to know what they can do to build good elearning. The same goes for elearning. You won’t necessarily build world-class elearning the first time you build an elearning course. It’s just a matter of learning, which entails practicing your craft. Good books to get started: e-Learning By Design. e-Learning & the Science of Instruction.

Help 75

You Need to Know These Seven Tips If You Build Graphics for E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

If you’re building elearning courses, then you should expect to have a graphics editing program as part of your tool chest. There’s even a good discussion about graphics applications in the elearning community. Learn to create shapes and then embellish them with colors, shadows, and dimension. Once you learn to use the drawing tools in your image editor you can create all sorts of custom graphics, even if all you have is PowerPoint. Create a 3D room effect.

Here’s Some Background Information for Your Next E-Learning Course

Rapid eLearning

During the year I conduct dozens of elearning workshops. I dedicate a large part of the workshop to graphic design because based on what I see, it’s an area that challenges many elearning developers. Elearning courses are mostly a visual medium which means that graphic design is a key part of building effective elearning courses. In fact, it’s one of the three core considerations in the design of elearning courses: What will the course look like?

Here’s a Way to Make Your E-Learning Course Objectives Interesting

Rapid eLearning

In the past I’ve built similar elearning courses for organizations that taught their employees about having these disaster kits. While there’s nothing wrong with creating a list to state learning objectives, there’s probably a better way to engage the learner emotionally. When I first learned to build elearning courses the rule was that you HAD to have a page that stated the learning objectives. It also may not be the most effective way. Louis (ASTD).

ASTD 81

More Than 100 PowerPoint Tutorials & a Free Template

Rapid eLearning

With as many PowerPoint questions that I get, it’s a good thing that over the past year or so the elearning community has created about 300 PowerPoint tutorials. I also included a free PowerPoint elearning template to celebrate the holidays and a great 2010! If you want to learn more about using PowerPoint or building rapid elearning courses, this list is a good place to start. PowerPoint for Rapid E-Learning. Snapshot focus effect.

These Simple Tips Will Help You Build the Right E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

At that point he could have determined the most effective solution for meeting his goals. It’s really an issue with a lot of training and elearning programs. Recognize that elearning courses aren’t the objective. E-learning courses (and training programs for that matter) exist to meet objectives. It’s easy to be seduced by solutions because these seem tangible and active, especially with the simple and quick authoring of rapid elearning tools.

ASTD 79

Here’s How to Convert Click & Read to Interactive E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

In today’s post we’ll look at a few guiding principles that help in the transition from linear to interactive elearning. When it comes to creating interactive elearning, I focus on three key principles. If someone asks how to learn more of something, we’ll point them to a web site or give them three good book recommendations. And that’s what drives a lot of linear elearning. Obviously, information is important and critical to learning. Rapid E-Learning Workshop.

These 12 Tutorials Teach You How to Build an Interactive E-Learning Course

Rapid eLearning

It’s a fact that you CAN build effective elearning with rapid elearning tools. All it requires is that you craft a sound learning strategy and get the most out of your tools. To demonstrate this, I deconstructed an effective elearning course originally built in Flash and then built a mock up in PowerPoint. Hyperlinking in PowerPoint for rapid elearning with a follow up on transparent boxes. Create a lightbox effect.

How to Create an Interactive PowerPoint Elearning Module

Rapid eLearning

In a recent post we looked at ways to build interactive elearning even if using PowerPoint to build the courses. This lets us look at some essential production tips when using PowerPoint to build interactive elearning. Layer images for more effect. To make it more interesting, I pulled the woman out of the image and added a lighting effect in the corner. As you can see PowerPoint’s freeform environment makes it easy to create your own graphic effects.

9 Ways to Encourage the Adult E-Learners

Rapid eLearning

Recently I spent the day at the beach watching people learning to surf. One of the people learning to surf was a blind girl. It was very inspiring as she learned to balance on the board. Learning is a funny thing. Real learning isn’t a one-time event (like many elearning courses) where it’s just a matter of getting new information. E-learning courses are an intrusion to the natural learning process. Embrace the Learning Process.

Here’s a Free PowerPoint Template & Laptop Illustration

Rapid eLearning

My guess is that some of the most common screen elements in elearning courses are computer monitors. They’re nice to use because contextually they fit elearning. Plus, it’s a great way to learn more of PowerPoint’s illustration features. To create the light effect, use a shape filled with semi-transparent white. If you find it a challenge to create the light effect, just skip it. October 16-19: Las Vegas, NV (CUNA)— Experience Learning Live!

3 Reasons Why Linear E-Learning May Be the Best Solution

Rapid eLearning

But the reality is that not all elearning courses need to be that way. This isn’t a defense of bad elearning (that often is linear). Instead of injecting our personal views on what elearning should be, we need to focus on the type of course that is most appropriate for the organization’s goals. Learning is Bigger than E-Learning. A couple of the benefits of elearning are consistent delivery of content and compression of time to deliver it.