Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Conference Remove Effectiveness

The differences between social professional networks and communities of practice

Matrix

The meaning ofcommunity’ has changed drastically with the spread of the internet and the rise of all the social networks. No longer confined by geography, people who share the same interests can connect, share and grow as a community online.

Social Learning Experiences: Making Better Connections

Talented Learning

Maybe the answer lies in the beauty of a simple human truth: “Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don’t.” And each of those people has the potential to teach us something new. In a sense, we’re all part of a grand social learning experiment.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Games Build Community & Associations: ASAE Technology Conference Session

Web Courseworks

I will be speaking at one of the last Idea Labs at the ASAE Technology Conference next Friday, February 12 th at 3:30PM. I like to think that I was placed in this “closing” position because conference organizers felt that the topic of “Using eLearning Games to Recruit, Engage, and Educate Members” would keep attendees energized until the very end of the conference.

At Healthcare Educators’ Conference, “A Culture of Performance Improvement in Practice”

Web Courseworks

CME and other forms of continuing education in the health professions have been influenced by the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”), and with expected changes to that legislation, educational practitioners naturally wonder about the effects on their field.

Conferences can be better, a whole lot better

Jay Cross

The conference business is booming yet every participant has some major gripe about the way conferences are run. In the beginning of the year, I looked into the future of conferences. Would they go the way of record stores and newspapers? Community First!

5 Time-saving Tips from the E-learning Community

Rapid eLearning

A few days ago I came across this thread in the user community. In it, Dave Newgass was asking how to build an interaction of a person going in and out of a cubicle. He got a couple of responses and a demo PowerPoint file to review. There’s lots of free stuff.

I Believe in the Importance of a Personal Learning Network

Tom Spiglanin

I simply found myself tweeting at a learning and development conference using its hashtag and others began connecting with me. After the conference, I discovered Twitter chats and began participating in them regularly. Much of what I found I now consider useless or completely wrong.

Coherent Implications

Clark Quinn

One of the things to do with models is use them as the basis to explain and predict. There are three layers: work teams composed of members from different communities of practice, that are connected outward to broader social networks.

Measurement & ROI for Social & Network Learning

Experiencing eLearning

These are my notes from the Learn Trends: Networked and Social Learning online mini-conference. This isn’t my usual comprehensive live blogging, just snippets of things that caught my interest. I wanted to actually participate in the chat and watch Twitter too, and I couldn’t juggle all of it at the same time. This is post 2 of 3. In chat, vivien disagreed: “I don’t agree that social learning is always downstream of training intervention&#.

Learning About the Future of Learning

Web Courseworks

This week I am excited to mention yet another conference that I have high hopes for and am eager to participate in. As you may or may not already know, I like to refer to associations as our real “communities of practice.”

Assumed Contraints and Elephant Thinking

Learning Cafe

Since leaving my last role with a large bank, I’ve continued to advocate and champion the need for social tools and interaction to support learning and to work more effectively. At the time I of course challenged back and asked “Why?”

The principles of learning

Jay Cross

Yesterday I came upon a 13-year old cassette recording of Peter Henschel, executive director of the Institute for Research on Learning , speaking to a breakout session at Elliott Masie’s TechLearn conference. This talk had a profound effect on my thinking.

LearnTrends: Microlearning

Experiencing eLearning

Microlearning – the learning that results from “micro” content published in short form and limited by the software and devices used to view it – offers alternatives to traditional development methods for workers who deal with web-based information as part of their job. Let’s discuss how microlearning might address the realities of learning in a digital age. Basic goal: make learning more effective through new media. To know if it’s effective.

Best Practices for Blended Learning Design

Web Courseworks

This is the story of a university extension certificate program that is doing both. My wife recently enrolled in an eight-month program called Professional Life Coaching Certificate (PLCC) Program offered by the Continuing Studies branch of the University of Wisconsin–Madison.

Friday Finds: The Best of Learning, Design & Technology | June 7, 2019

Mike Taylor

Build Communities—Invite Those on the Edges. Andew Watson ( @andrewwatsonttb ) highlights that one possible reason for the persistence of the debunked idea of learning styles is still around is possibly because professional schools teach it. (Or, The 7 Illusions of Knowing.

Breaking Up with “Yeah, but…”

Learning Rebels

We have become the gate keepers of negativity. It’s quite easy to think of reasons why a “thing” cannot work. It’s easy to bury our heads and ignore the future, for the sake of the past. There are many iterations of the wheel.

Is it time for a BYOL (Bring Your Own Learning) strategy in your organization? #BYOL

Jane Hart

My previous blog post that revealed that around 70% of respondents in my recent survey found training (including e-learning) “unimportant” or only “somewhat important” has generated quite a bit of interest. Narrating their learning is an integral part of narrating their work – i e.

Key social learning resources: Part 4

Jane Hart

This is the fourth and final instalment of my weekly articles curating key social learning resources for TrainingZone’s social learning month. Clark Quinn in his latest blog post talks about the importance of Reflecting socially. Creating a representation of your understanding is valuable in and of itself, to make your thinking concrete, but sharing and getting feedback is even more powerful.” Jay points out the importance of this for organisations too.

eLearning for Travel Agents

TalentLMS

In fact, travel agents are beacons of knowledge on almost any wanderlust routes. Travel agents of today will show you the shortcut to a serene spot. Owing to the dynamic and evolving state of data in the tourism industry, the training and instant upgrade can be a challenge.

What is social learning and how can you use it to foster collaborative learning

Learning Wire

As learning professionals, most of us are familiar with the 70:20:10 Model for Learning and Development that describes how learning happens. According to this, most of us pick: 70 percent of our knowledge from our on-the job experiences. I will also share some best practices.

DevLearn 2016: Must see sessions to spark your creativity

Sponge UK

This year the tagline for the show is Sparking Creativity, and the keynote sessions back that up with a variety of speakers who will inspire and excite. The Magic of Storytelling and Learning. Karen co-hosts the responsive web design podcast with Ethan Marcote, a pioneer of the concept.

Best Practices for Blended Learning Design

Web Courseworks

A Case Study of the UW Professional Life Coaching Certificate Program. This is the story of a university extension certificate program that is doing both. I witnessed second hand what I believe to be an example of best practice for blended learning design.

50 Ways to Lever Learning

The Performance Improvement Blog

In a learning culture , formal training is just one of many methods used to facilitate employee learning. This is a list of 50 of those methods. Mobile learning – a form of elearning that is accessed by a mobile device such as smart phone or tablet; can be anywhere, anytime.

EI Design

As learning professionals, most of us are familiar with the 70:20:10 Model for Learning and Development that describes how learning happens. According to this, most of us pick: 70 percent of our knowledge from our on-the job experiences. I will also share some best practices.

Adobe Captivate

As learning professionals, most of us are familiar with the 70:20:10 Model for Learning and Development that describes how learning happens. According to this, most of us pick: 70 percent of our knowledge from our on-the job experiences. It is no surprise that today more and more companies are using some form of social learning solutions in their learning strategies that enables employees to learn from each other. I will also share some best practices.

Beyond Best Practices

CLO Magazine

Pardon my French, but best practices are a bunch of B.S. That probably sounds strange coming from the editor of a magazine dedicated to finding, analyzing and sharing successful examples of corporate learning. Their work exemplifies best practice.

Why You Should Adopt Social Learning

EI Design

It is exciting to be part of the new era in corporate learning that leverages on social and collaborative learning. In this article, I will outline why you should adopt social learning ; I will also outline some best practices and ideas on where you can use social learning meaningfully.

Adopt 75

Free L&D webinars for April 2020

Limestone Learning

Many of us are getting a crash course in remote work as we quickly get up to speed on teleconferencing, videoconferencing and the vast array of tools and hacks for virtual teams. The coronavirus may have robbed us of face-to-face interaction, but it can’t rob us of learning.

Free 55

How to Build a Learning and Innovation Performance Lab

CLO Magazine

Few industries can keep theory and practice as proximate and immediate as learning, and treating everyday needs as an opportunity to experiment can lead to better results and innovation. Keep a running list of ideas to try out. Be wary of standards and long-term commitments.

Jay Cross – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

Jay is the Johnny Appleseed of informal learning. Jay has challenged conventional wisdom about how adults learn since designing the first business degree program offered by the University of Phoenix. A champion of informal learning and systems thinking, Jay’s calling is to create happier, more productive workplaces. Jay works from the Internet Time Lab in Berkeley, high in the hills a dozen miles east of the Golden Gate Bridge and a mile and a half from the University.

Digital Assets Creates New Role for L&D Pros: The Content Curator

ATD Learning Technologies

The volume of information being created is increasing faster than we can make sense of it. Think: blogs, email, wikis, communities of practice. On his website Content Curation World , he advises curators to forego quantity in favor of high quality and consistency.

Roles 70

Training Method Trends

Clark Quinn

All of the data comes from surveys to the eLearningGuild membership (which is more than 30,000) and typically they have 2,000 - 3,000 respondents on surveys which is large enough to get pretty good indications. It's a bit complicated, but it effectively judges the trend - not necessarily the amount. So here's the graph showing all of the trending information. LMS - Learning Management Systems - are growing at one of the fastest rates of any of the established methods.

3 Simple Ways to Find the Resources You Need to Build E-Learning Courses

Rapid eLearning

Rapid elearning design is made up of three core functions: rapid authoring, rapid assets, and rapid instructional design. For example, a large part of the course’s construction involves the visual design of the course. Take Advantage of the Free Stuff.

Shifting sands

Learning with e's

Although it is very difficult to predict the future, we are aware of the trends and can use these to detect where we may be heading, and that may take us in one or more directions, hence the plurality of ''futures''. The old modes of teaching are outmoded.

Informal Learning – the other 80%

Jay Cross

I’ll be leading a series of master classes on informal learning and working smarter in Europe. It’s all a matter of learning, but it’s not the sort of learning that is the province of training departments, workshops, and classrooms. Innovating in the face of change.

e-Clippings (Learning As Art): Reflections from Adaptive Paths UX Week 2007

Mark Oehlert

e-Clippings (Learning As Art) Home Archives Subscribe About My Social Networks « A foot in both worlds.working on a MacBook | Main | Facebook on iPhone (Inside Facebook) » August 25, 2007 Reflections from Adaptive Paths UX Week 2007 I had a little time now to digest all that I heard at the user experience/design conference named UX Week 2007 and put on by Adaptive Path. As we look for ways to improve conferences , this is a point we should ponder on.

Before, after, and beyond: why in 2014 we need to ‘design the complete experience’

Saffron Interactive

Recently I’ve been rereading The Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning , first published in 2006. Pleasingly iconoclastic, the book challenges some of the bad habits and received wisdom which limit the scope of our ambitions. They each deserve some serious attention and in a series of blog posts, I want to share my thoughts on how they apply to us in 2014. So what do we mean by ‘the complete experience’ in terms of programme design?