Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Develop Remove Emergent

Six Obstacles to Building Communities in Organizations

ID Reflections

Rachel Happe begins her latest post, 10 Trends for the Future of Communities , with a comprehensive description of the various intersecting and intermingling streams and characteristics that inform communities, and I am quoting her below: Communities sit at the intersection of a number of trends; social media, digital transformation, a generational shift to prioritize purposeful work, the future of work, change management, leadership and social learning.

MOOCs in Workplace Learning – Part 5: Skills Learners Need Today

Learnnovators

While the title of the post specifies MOOCs, the skills and mindsets I have explored in the post are, IMHO, required by all to survive and thrive in the digital and connected world. And participating in MOOCs could well be one of the ways to inculcate and hone the skills. I have been writing about MOOCs in the context of workplace learning from different perspectives for some time now. A MOOC is an intrinsically participative, collaborative mode of learning.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

MOOCS IN WORKPLACE LEARNING – PART 5: SKILLS LEARNERS NEED TODAY

Learnnovators

While the title of the post specifies MOOCs, the skills and mindsets I have explored in the post are, IMHO, required by all to survive and thrive in the digital and connected world. And participating in MOOCs could well be one of the ways to inculcate and hone the skills. I have been writing about MOOCs in the context of workplace learning from different perspectives for some time now. A MOOC is an intrinsically participative, collaborative mode of learning.

The most updated and informative e-Learning community on Twitter

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 11/28/2010 The most updated and informative e-Learning community on Twitter On Twitter exists a resourceful community of e-Learning professionals. During the last 2 years I was able to exchange ideas, share thoughts, and learn from this community of practice. Jeff Goldman e-Learning Designer and Developer.

Enterprise Community Management: “joining up” learning and working

Jane Hart

For some time now I’ve sensed a split in the learning profession in terms of recognising the value and importance of self-managed learning as it takes place in the flow of daily work. they have designed, delivered, tracked and managed the whole process), then it is of little relevance or consequence to the L&D department, and view self-organised team learning as a “work” activity, and hence the sole responsibility of line managers.

The dynamics of managing/nurturing networks of practice

Joitske Hulsebosch eLearning

Keeping the Wheels Turning: The Dynamics of Managing Networks of Practice. Journal of Management Studies, 47(1), 85-108 The authors make a distinction between NoPs and CoPs; networks of practice and communities of practice. Research has been done in a development organization founded in 1965 and headquartered in the Netherlands (Dutch people can easily guess :). Relational embeddedness- the presence of strong social ties.

PLN or CoP?

Learning with 'e's

That''s quite an apt result because Google and many of the other large, supposedly ''free'' social media tools are very much focused on making money to sustain their operations. Nor is it about the morality of social media companies. In the context of this post, PLN stands for Personal Learning Network , and CoP stands for Communities of Practice. A quick search reveals that not a lot has been written about the juxtaposition of the two.

Recommended Reading Summary: A Chapter of “Emerging Technologies for the Classroom”

Adobe Captivate

In October, I posted some recommended reading that complemented one of my classes on gamification. I’ve since started writing chapter summaries (here is the last article ) so people can “preview” some of the great books out there and hopefully end up reading them! Google Scholar features most of the chapter for free. Teaching and learning practices benefit from the collective knowledge that social technology provides.

Is all learning social?

Learning with 'e's

Just about every day I find myself embroiled in a discussions about fundamentals of learning, the nature of knowledge and the processes of education. It comes with the territory of working as an academic in a university, and I expect to do it much of the time. In the post I made the remark that today's learning needs to be personal, social and global, all of which can be mediated through technology. This is known as the zone of proximal development (ZPD).

Digital learning in organisations

Learning with 'e's

I have been busy writing a new book, and the last month has involved a lot of research and writing, completing, editing and polishing of my manuscript for final submission later this month. It's a book I was commissioned to write for Kogan Page, and will be aimed at the learning and development (L and D) sector. It was about time I tackled another sector of learning and I have become very familiar with leaning and development in organisations over the last decade.

Video:Bringing Mobile Phone Development to the classroom

Kapp Notes

Here is an interesting article about how to bring mobile phone development to the classroom. The ICT Center is recognized nationally as a leader for its expertise in developing and distributing comprehensive ICT content supporting business and industry’s efforts to educate and train their ICT workforce. The ICT Center is your key resource for developing and securing appropriately-skilled Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) technicians and technologists.

Nuts and Bolts: Narrating Our Work by Jane Bozarth

Learning Solutions Magazine

Here’s a true story about physical rehab turned learning turned hobby turned community of practice turned two successful businesses, all via informal, social means. Emerging Topics Professional Development Social MediaAnd all within six months.

Learning & Development Conferences for 2020

Limestone Learning

For many L&D/T&D professionals, a conference is an opportunity to delve into a community of practice where you can see how other professionals are incorporating new innovations and tools into their work.

Invest in Your Development with The eLearning Guild by Jennifer Neibert

Learning Solutions Magazine

As a community of practice, The eLearning Guild is based on the idea that members share with, and. events, real-world research reports chock-full of practical insights, and thought-provoking content. Emerging Topics Getting Started Professional Development learn. from, other members. And 2014 is shaping up to be another exciting year! With face-to-face and. virtual.

Back to ‘what’ Normal? #AulaCon

Technology Enhanced Learning Blog

This was a big thing for me, not least was how much effort it took to not only keep my diary free of meetings but also to keep the distractions and messages/calls/chat to a minimum so I could concentrate. had the rather huge title of ‘back to what normal?’ development?works.

Teach 62

The First Step in Leadership Development Training

Training Industry

First-time manager training is an important part of any leadership development program, with the need for quality training essential to build a solid foundation to start managerial careers. Understanding the dynamics and preferences of these aspiring leaders is critical to developing successful training programs. study on first-time manager training focused on a range of best practices, covering program design to preferred delivery methods.

L&D's New Hatrack

ID Reflections

The future of work is going to be radically different from what we have experienced so far. An increasingly global and uber connected workforce, globally distributed organizations, dispersed expertise, ubiquitous connectivity powered by the affordances of social, local and mobile (SoLoMo) and the economy of individuals are giving rise to completely different working and learning behaviors. The table below summarizes some of the ways that users can contribute.

PKM 109

10 Reasons to Join The eLearning Guild

Web Courseworks

I remember the days when Web Courseworks’ customers did not have online course instructional developers or designers and LMS administrators on staff. Fast forward to present day, companies and larger national associations now have managers and a staff of course developers, most of which have full bachelor’s degrees or at the very least, a 2-year advanced degree or a certificate in web course design. Professional Development.

Deep learning and expertise

Clark Quinn

Here, I’m suggesting that the goal of deep learning is expertise. We’ve automated enough of the component elements that we can use our conscious processes to make expert judgments in addressing performance requirements. Now, these responses can vary in their degree of transfer.

Where is L&D heading?

E-Learning Provocateur

The topic of the evening was Where is L&D Heading? and some questions were posted through by the attendees ahead of time, while others emerged through the discourse. Here is an overview of my answers, plus elaborations and suggestions for further reading, for each of the questions that was (and was not) asked. Is the race to the bottom on time and price for degrees affecting employers’ perceptions of universities? The moot point of MOOCs.

Social Learning: August Pick of the Posts

Jane Hart

The focus of my August Pick of the Posts is social learning, and these posts all include some great graphics too. Some product experts will emerge. Maybe it won’t be on the scale of Pokémon Go —few things ever will be—but this is what “ social learning ” is. Communities emerge. It’s not about forcing people to participate and trying to control every bit of conversation. You know you are in a real community of practice when it changes your practice.

27 Books for L&D Folks.

ID Reflections

I believe they are all very essential reads for today’s learning and development folks. There are many more that can be added to the list but I will keep that for another post…You can see some of them in the picture of my bookshelf above. Some of the might seem out of place in a list for L&D folks, but I think it is important to read around a subject to understand the context, and the emerging patterns.

Networked pedagogy

Learning with 'e's

New theories for the networked, digital age, emerging cultures of learning and a hyper-connected and networked society. Differentials between academic practices, and the variety of roles we adopt within communities of practice and learning. The impact of traditional education on contemporary pedagogical practices. Chaos and uncertainty versus knowing and order, and the educational impact of rhizomatic approaches to learning.

The Changing Face of Work and Workplace Learning

Learnnovators

Now that my disclaimers are in place, let me explain the premise of the post title and what I intend to discuss in this post. I am not doing (at least trying not to) today what I did five years back–not only in terms of professional and personal growth but with respect to the demands of the time. Technology has brought about unprecedented changes at a pace that is challenging all notions of flexibility and adaptability. But I see this as an emerging trend.

Expanding your company L&D strategy to CoPs

Matrix

We often say that people are the most important resource a company can have and that the success of any organization is directly connected to its people. One thing that should always be part of the mix to achieving this is a sound L&D company strategy. Today’s employees focus a lot on learning and development — both personal and professional — as they know that acquiring new knowledge and skills, and always improving these, is the way to a successful career.

The Changing Face of Work and Workplace Learning

ID Reflections

Now that my disclaimers are in place, let me explain the premise of the post title and what I intend to discuss in this post. I am not doing (at least trying not to) today what I did five years back--not only in terms of professional and personal growth but with respect to the demands of the time. Technology has brought about unprecedented changes at a pace that is challenging all notions of flexibility and adaptability. But I see this as an emerging trend.

Change 184

THE CHANGING FACE OF WORK AND WORKPLACE LEARNING

Learnnovators

Now that my disclaimers are in place, let me explain the premise of the post title and what I intend to discuss in this post. I am not doing (at least trying not to) today what I did five years back–not only in terms of professional and personal growth but with respect to the demands of the time. Technology has brought about unprecedented changes at a pace that is challenging all notions of flexibility and adaptability. But I see this as an emerging trend.

IBM 100

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Brent Schlenker: Marketers and Game Developers Know More About Learning Than We Do!

Learning Visions

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 Brent Schlenker: Marketers and Game Developers Know More About Learning Than We Do! Live session with Brent Schlenker: Marketers and Game Developers Know More About Learning Than We Do! hosted by Training Magazine Network. ** Disclaimers: “I am not a marketer or a game developer.&# (Although he plays a LOT of games). When he listens to game developers talk, feels like they’re in the learning prof. Or a game developer.

LearnTrends: Microlearning

Experiencing eLearning

The need and pressure to learn continually, coupled with limited time available to learn, make new digital media viable for professional development. Microlearning – the learning that results from “micro” content published in short form and limited by the software and devices used to view it – offers alternatives to traditional development methods for workers who deal with web-based information as part of their job. It is the sharing of resurces.

Personal Learning Networks: For Ongoing Learning in a Connected World

ID Reflections

I have recently joined the open section of #MSLOC 430 - a graduate course in the Master''s Program in Learning and Organizational Change at Northwestern University. The four topics we are planning to deep dive into in the first two weeks are: a) Networked learning, b) Personal Learning Networks, c) MOOCs, and d) Communities of Inquiry. These are all areas of interest for me, and my hope and plan is to find (make) sufficient time to explore each of these in depth.

ASAE TECH Preview- December 15 and 16th

Web Courseworks

The association of association executives, ASAE, (American Society of Association Executives) holds a technology conference each year in December. I have attended about half of the total conferences held and I am excited that this year is its 10th anniversary. Full disclaimer, the company I run, Web Courseworks, sells CourseStage, an educational platform designed to enhance and support association professional development. The Business of IT.

Key Social Learning Resources: Part 2

Jane Hart

not only about learning from others, but about continuously learning from others at the time of need to get the job done.”. “This mentality is very different from the mindset that many of us are used to – officially “learning&# or gaining knowledge during a teaching session, but then immediately storing that knowledge away afterwards in order to “get back to work.&#. But too often there is talk of the need for “community management&#.

Initial reflections on Slow Learning #change11

Clark Quinn

A couple of themes have emerged that partly I want to elaborate on, and partly want to reflect upon. One of the themes that emerged is the rejection of the GPS idea, and extolling a preference for getting lost (I did explicitly mention that GPS’s do not help you learn the terrain, but I’ll add that they could). One of the issues is, for me, where you want to learn, and where you don’t.

Workplace Learning in a World “Beyond Automation”

Learnnovators

With automation, AI and robots looming over the job scene, there seems to be a constant fear of humans losing out to computers and technology. It’s akin to one of our childhood sci-fi movies finally becoming a reality – the machines are taking over. The digital disruptors in the shape of Robots, Big Data and Sensors are here. However, this HBR article takes a different view of automation and digitization of work, going beyond the gloom and doom mindset.

How L&D can stay ahead of the technology curve

Sponge UK

An interview with David Kelly of The Elearning Guild As an L&D professional, staying ahead in a changing world is a major challenge. New technologies may hold promise but evaluating them for use within your own organisation is practically a full time job in itself. It is the oldest community of practice for the elearning industry. Why should L&D teams stay across emerging and new technologies?

Jay Cross – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

Jay is the Johnny Appleseed of informal learning. Jay has challenged conventional wisdom about how adults learn since designing the first business degree program offered by the University of Phoenix. A champion of informal learning and systems thinking, Jay’s calling is to create happier, more productive workplaces. Jay works from the Internet Time Lab in Berkeley, high in the hills a dozen miles east of the Golden Gate Bridge and a mile and a half from the University.

With Gratitude…

MakingBetter

2015 gave MakingBetter an amazing journey that was full of surprises. Our projects ranged from designing and developing custom reporting for software products, training providers and large enterprises. We launched an online journal, the xAPI Quarterly , kickstarting the publishing arm of our business, Connections Forum , and we ran our first events, xAPI Camps that each were co-created with our participants. We spent a lot of time with our families and friends.

xapi 126

Clark Quinn – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

He integrates creativity, cognitive science, and technology to lead development of strategic solutions including award-winning online content, educational computer games, and websites, as well as adaptive, mobile, and performance support systems. ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW SERIES: ‘ Crystal Balling with Learnnovators ’ is a thought-provoking interview series that attempts to gaze into the future of e-learning. We need to practice this in organizations, and model this for others.

MOOCs in Workplace Learning - Part 5: Skills Learners Need Today

ID Reflections

Skills 145

JAY CROSS – CRYSTAL BALLING WITH LEARNNOVATORS

Learnnovators

Jay is the Johnny Appleseed of informal learning. Jay has challenged conventional wisdom about how adults learn since designing the first business degree program offered by the University of Phoenix. A champion of informal learning and systems thinking, Jay’s calling is to create happier, more productive workplaces. Jay works from the Internet Time Lab in Berkeley, high in the hills a dozen miles east of the Golden Gate Bridge and a mile and a half from the University.