Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Discussion Remove Forum

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

One highlight of a learning management system is its collaboration within course participants. Extend this to the Subject Matter Experts and popular spokes-person through a defined communication framework and you have a community of practice in action! Ever heard of the phrase “listen to the market”? Engage all learners in a transparent, open-to-all discussion board directly under the course. As they are, the two pieces of data are meaningless.

KM 64

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

One highlight of a learning management system is its collaboration within course participants. Extend this to the Subject Matter Experts and popular spokes-person through a defined communication framework and you have a community of practice in action! Ever heard of the phrase “listen to the market”? Engage all learners in a transparent, open-to-all discussion board directly under the course. As they are, the two pieces of data are meaningless.

KM 41
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

<div class=”page-chapo”>Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise.</div> </div> The theory around communities of practice was developed by Etienne Wenger and Jean Lave in the early 1990s. How do communities of practice work?

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise. The theory around communities of practice was developed by Etienne Wenger and Jean Lave in the early 1990s. Social networking tools like discussion forums, newsgroups and wikis were now being used to drive business performance.

Using an eWorkshop to initiate or enrich a community

The eLearning Nomad

One of our new clients, a small NGO with a wide network of local partners in Africa and Latin America is building an e-learning program from scratch. The Moodle site is up and running and now we’re brainstorming on how best to structure the platform to support the needs of the organisation and its partners. We will use the eWorkshop method to kick-start and nurture the communities of practice.

Using an eWorkshop to initiate or enrich a community

The eLearning Nomad

One of our new clients, a small NGO with a wide network of local partners in Africa and Latin America is building an e-learning program from scratch. The Moodle site is up and running and now we’re brainstorming on how best to structure the platform to support the needs of the organisation and its partners. We will use the eWorkshop method to kick-start and nurture the communities of practice.

MOOCs in Workplace Learning – Part 5: Skills Learners Need Today

Learnnovators

While the title of the post specifies MOOCs, the skills and mindsets I have explored in the post are, IMHO, required by all to survive and thrive in the digital and connected world. And participating in MOOCs could well be one of the ways to inculcate and hone the skills. I have been writing about MOOCs in the context of workplace learning from different perspectives for some time now. A MOOC is an intrinsically participative, collaborative mode of learning.

MOOCS IN WORKPLACE LEARNING – PART 5: SKILLS LEARNERS NEED TODAY

Learnnovators

While the title of the post specifies MOOCs, the skills and mindsets I have explored in the post are, IMHO, required by all to survive and thrive in the digital and connected world. And participating in MOOCs could well be one of the ways to inculcate and hone the skills. I have been writing about MOOCs in the context of workplace learning from different perspectives for some time now. A MOOC is an intrinsically participative, collaborative mode of learning.

Success Formula for Discussion Forums in Financial Services

Tony Karrer

I received a question this week related to Discussion Forums for Knowledge Sharing at Capital City Bank : I successfully launched a discussion forum for a small group of lending assistants within my bank. That forum is still up and running. Since that time, I have attempted to introduce the discussion forum tool to two other work groups within the bank but I have not been very successful. I found a lot of great stuff.

Forum 110

Are your community's lurkers healthy lurkers?

Joitske Hulsebosch eLearning

I've blogged about lurking before , investigating whether lurking in online forums is a sort of legitimate peripheral participation that leads to people learning about the practices of a community of practice. This time we tried to analyze whether lurking in online forums is a problem or a bliss for companies. The definition of lurking is as people who NEVER post, hence they don't share their questions, ideas or suggestions online.

Observations from Supporting Performance with Learning – Learning Cafe Workplace Trends Forum

Learning Cafe

28 Learning professionals from a wide cross section of industries participated in the online Workplace Trends Forum on Supporting Performance with Learning. Peter Davis moderated the session with a expert panel comprising of. Belinda Liu – Global Head of Talent and Learning Operations, Standard Chartered Bank. Learning needs to step out of the normal role of training issues, into the workplace and address larger issues that impact performance problems.

Forum 46

Lurking or Legitimate Peripheral Participation

Experiencing eLearning

During the July 7 early #lrnchat about social media and social learning, there was a lot of discussion about lurking. I replied : I do a fair amount of lurking (ie “legitimate peripheral participation&# ). I have lots of online communities where I sit on the periphery and lurk, long past the initial phase of learning how the community works. A few examples: YouTube : Most of the time on YouTube, I’m just watching. Communities Web 2.0

L&D's New Hatrack

ID Reflections

The future of work is going to be radically different from what we have experienced so far. An increasingly global and uber connected workforce, globally distributed organizations, dispersed expertise, ubiquitous connectivity powered by the affordances of social, local and mobile (SoLoMo) and the economy of individuals are giving rise to completely different working and learning behaviors. The table below summarizes some of the ways that users can contribute.

PKM 109

Context + Control + Community = Learning

Breakthrough eLearning

A couple of weeks ago I noted that I was beginning to learn Mandarin Chinese via ChinesePod. These are free of charge. On top of this, all learners are linked via an interactive online community and can share experiences, ask questions, and learn from each other as well as the experts at ChinesePod. After downloading a transcript of the dialogue, I will listen to the lesson, making notes on the dialogue script and sounding out words as I go.

Situated Cognition In eLearning: What eLearning Professionals Should Know

TalentLMS

Learners must be able to put their knowledge to use outside the virtual classroom, and simulating real world challenges is one of the best ways to achieve this. Cognitive Apprenticeships and communities of practice also go hand-in-hand with situated cognition. Below you’ll find 4 best practices and 5 tips that can help you integrate situated cognition into your eLearning strategy. 4 Situated Cognition Best Practices.

Reprise: How to Create a Learning Culture in Organizations

The Performance Improvement Blog

One of these posts appears in Jane Hart ’s blog, Learning in the Social Workplace. communities of practice). An integral part of everything that is done in the organization, supported by technology and social networks. Hart writes further that learning professionals should, therefore, take on a new role, that of “Enterprise Learning Community Managers.” Is there an app or social networking forum you can communicate through?

How to Create a Learning Culture in Organizations

The Performance Improvement Blog

One of these posts appears in Jane Hart’s blog, Learning in the Social Workplace. communities of practice). An integral part of everything that is done in the organization, supported by technology and social networks. Hart writes further that learning professionals should, therefore, take on a new role, that of “Enterprise Learning Community Managers.” Is there an app or social networking forum you can communicate through?

6 Steps To Creating Learning Ecosystems (And Why You Should Bother)

Learnnovators

70:20:10 has shone a spotlight on the limits of formal learning. In contrast, social and experiential learning continue to be veritable goldmines of productivity, placing learners at the centre of their story and demanding a major shift from Learning & Development professionals. More than a fixed environment, the word ‘ecosystem’ implies complex interactions and continued growth which might include: a range of people (managers, peers, mentors, coaches).

Best Practices for Blended Learning Design

Web Courseworks

This is the story of a university extension certificate program that is doing both. My wife recently enrolled in an eight-month program called Professional Life Coaching Certificate (PLCC) Program offered by the Continuing Studies branch of the University of Wisconsin–Madison. I witnessed second hand what I believe to be an example of best practice for blended learning design. Key Ingredients of Blended Learning Program Design.

Honored

Clark Quinn

At the recent DevLearn conference, David and Heidi (the two-cofounders of the eLearning Guild ) punk’d me. Under the pretense of having me assist the keynote speaker, they had me sit at the front of the stage with another purpose in mind. As background, the Guild is explicitly labeled and designed to reflect the original concept of an association of craftsmen in a particular trade.

7 big opportunities that MOOCs offer corporates

E-Learning Provocateur

Hot on the heels of my 5 benefits of open badges for corporates , I now present my 7 big opportunities that MOOCs offer corporates. Regular readers of my blog will know that I’m quite the MOOC fan. If you can think of any others, please let me know… 1. Quality content, for free, from some of the world’s most respected educational institutions? Participating in a MOOC forms connections with people outside of your organisation.

Roles 202

MOOCs: Building Personal Learning Networks

Your Training Edge

For the past year or so, massive open online courses (MOOCs) have been busy upending all kinds of assumptions about education: content is king, quality education is expensive, and instructor-led training is the gold standard, to name just a few. One major change that MOOCs have greatly contributed to is the gaining recognition of learning as a primarily social activity, where the networks created are just as important (if not more important) as the content learned.

The role technology plays in the knowledge creation process

Docebo

The following is part two of an excerpt from a knowledge brief by Aberdeen Group : the brief discusses the role that technology plays in the knowledge creation process and the ways in which Learning 3.0 concepts can help accelerate the “spiral” of knowledge creation in your organization. To read part one of this two-part post, please click here. The creation of new knowledge always begins with the individual.

Roles 151

The 2 sources of freebies

E-Learning Provocateur

We’ve all seen it with our own eyes: when a company hits hard times, its training budget is one of the first casualties. To counter-act that perception, the L&D team must do a better job of demonstrating its worth to the business in terms of performance and, ultimately, profit. We all nodded in agreement and a lively discussion ensued on how we should go about doing that. Of course the remedy is simple: spend less. • Communities of practice.

Wiki 106

MOOCs in Workplace Learning - Part 5: Skills Learners Need Today

ID Reflections

Skills 145

5 Vital Elements of Engaging Microcontent

Obsidian Learning

Learners not only expect but demand that microcontent be easy to search for, easy to access, and easy to run, see, and interact with on their device of choice. For a deeper dive, see 7 Essentials of a Successful Mobile Learning Strategy. ). Make it part of a larger program.

Photo 73

10 free social learning platforms

Ed App

Along with the rise of online social networking, the ability to transfer social learning into an online format has also become a more seamless process. These types of benefits can have new employers quickly adapt to a new working environment.

Scenario Based Learning for Healthcare Professionals

Origin Learning

Scenario based learning is a practical approach to learning where in students develop problem solving skills by being exposed to ‘problems’ or ‘cases’ that are replicas of actual scenarios that they may face at work. It is based on the principles of situated learning theory(Lave & Wenger, 1991) which postulates that learning happens best when it takes place in the context that it is going to be applied to. What is scenario based learning?

Role of L&D in the 21C Workplace

ID Reflections

The impact of technology, globalization, ubiquitous connectivity, remote work and distributed work teams, and economy of individuals to name a few drivers have changed the face of workplace learning and performance dramatically. Refer to Ross Dawson’s The Future of Work for a detailed overview. The more of the same task they performed, the more efficient they became. Economy of scale was achieved. But I will leave that discussion for another post.

Roles 145

The Future of the LMS

Bottom-Line Performance

We started the month talking about the features and functions of learning management systems. In this online community, learners can create their own “real&# with profiles and list their experience; by searching the profiles, learners can use the LMS to contact others for help and support in a specific subject area. Most respondents use all of the 12 major learning tools and technologies listed on the survey in their portals.

Wiki 110

2.0 is a philosophy, not a technology

Jay Cross's Informal Learning

Internet Time Alliance spent a couple of days last week putting the 2.0 Informal Discussion group/ forum. Informal Communities of practice. Informal Community e-news. into a tedious proposal for a large, forward-facing multinational corporation. Among our recommendations were: Informal Live webcasts. Informal Recorded webinars. Informal Video conferencing. Informal Workshops.

How to Improve Learning Outcomes With Performance Support

Dashe & Thomson

Given that the goal of instructional designers and training developers is to improve employee performance, it’s surprising that many continue to create blended learning programs with little or no reliance on performance support tools or systems. Dr. Allison Rossett describes the value of performance support in her article Ode to Performance Support. These repositories of user instructions are structured around business processes and job roles.

What is social learning and how can you use it to foster collaborative learning

Adobe Captivate

As learning professionals, most of us are familiar with the 70:20:10 Model for Learning and Development that describes how learning happens. According to this, most of us pick: 70 percent of our knowledge from our on-the job experiences. It is no surprise that today more and more companies are using some form of social learning solutions in their learning strategies that enables employees to learn from each other. I will also share some best practices.

Seven other advantages of an e-learning strategy

Connect Thinking

The intention of an e-learning strategy is generally to advance the efficiency and effectiveness of organisational learning. However, there are other less obvious advantages of an e-learning strategy that may not be thought about at first. If you keep these other advantages in mind, you can integrate your strategy more holistically and use them as a measurement of strategy success. Here are seven other advantages of an e-learning strategy that I’ve come across.

Seven other advantages of an e-learning strategy

Connect Thinking

The intention of an e-learning strategy is generally to advance the efficiency and effectiveness of organisational learning. However, there are other less obvious advantages of an e-learning strategy that may not be thought about at first. If you keep these other advantages in mind, you can integrate your strategy more holistically and use them as a measurement of strategy success. Here are seven other advantages of an e-learning strategy that I’ve come across.

Staying Relevant in E-Learning in 2014

E-learning Uncovered

We thought it would be helpful to have a list of them here, in one place. And we’re now offering free webinars, starting with a comparison of e-learning authoring tools on January 31 from 12pm to 1pm EST. The Articulate , Adobe , and Lectora websites are also good resources when looking for training on authoring tools. Forums: Online discussion forums are a great place to connect with counterparts from other organizations world-wide.

ASTD 69

Best Practices for Blended Learning Design

Web Courseworks

A Case Study of the UW Professional Life Coaching Certificate Program. This is the story of a university extension certificate program that is doing both. My wife recently enrolled in an eight-month program called Professional Life Coaching Certificate (PLCC) Program offered by the Continuing Studies branch of the University of Wisconsin–Madison. I witnessed second hand what I believe to be an example of best practice for blended learning design.

Time for a New Look at Learning: Or What I Learned from Reading “Informal Learning at Work”

Pract.us

A native of New Zealand, Paul Matthews has always applied the practical, no-nonsense approach he learned growing up on a farm to his work in the corporate world. He’s been the director for a major IT company, founder of People Alchemy , and leadership consultant to blue chip clients. Through his experience, he’s recognized the power of informal learning and has helped his clients take advantage of it. What are the different flavors of informal learning?

Proliferating Portals

Clark Quinn

Let’s say you are the Director of a company’s Education/Training department and you want to move more toward information learning. You want to provide a platform for this knowledge to be shared, discussed, and build upon. Your vision is that once the wiki site is up for awhile, your instructional designers can take some of the knowledge that’s posted and create a job aid, reference document, and so forth that could be distributed more formally.

Portal 117

What Does Social Learning Look Like? Pokémon GO

bozarthzone

There isn’t much user support, so understanding more about specifics of the product proves to be a collaborative proposition. The company hasn’t provided any collaboration tools, so the trainers across locations begin talking in places like Facebook groups, Google communities, and Reddit. The company keeps an eye on the activity and announces it will make adjustments to the product based on feedback gleaned from the community.

Forum 52