Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Effectiveness Remove Knowledge Work
article thumbnail

Taking Stock and Making Choices: Working from home and other such stuff

ID Reflections

This taught me a few things about work, technology and myself. Work —complex knowledge work requires solitude as well as collaboration. Ever since I started working primarily from home, I realized (even more so than before) the importance of online communities—within my organization and without.

Stock 124
article thumbnail

Shifting sands

Learning with e's

However, society moved on, the world of work changed, and the industrialised processes were replaced by knowledge working. Someone once remarked that the lecture is the most effective way to transfer a lecturer''s notes into a student''s notes without having to pass through two minds first.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

50 suggestions for implementing 70-20-10

Jay Cross

Effective managers make stretch. Knowledge work has evolved into keeping up and taking advantage of connections. These posts offer guidance to managers who want to make learning from experience and conversation more effective. Members of CoPs develop and share knowledge, values, recommendations and standards.

article thumbnail

Deeper eLearning Design: Part 6 – Putting It All Together

Learnnovators

And helping SMEs focus on decisions and skills, not knowledge, working with them in a partnership rather than them as a fount of knowledge is helpful. This shouldn’t be (just) how much they like it (though that is not a bad thing to evaluate), but how effective the outcome is. Having end user stakeholders (e.g.

Design 133
article thumbnail

Informal Learning 2.0

Jay Cross

Effectiveness – Jay Cross. In a networked corporation, there is scant difference between knowledge work and learning. Business success depends on them working together rather than as individuals. Published in Chief Learning Officer, August 2009. Informal Learning 2.0. Put innovation on everyone’s to-do list.

article thumbnail

Agile instructional design

Jay Cross's Informal Learning

Sometimes it’s more effective to imbed the knowledge in the work than to plant it in the head of the worker. Old-style training enraged many managers because it was separate from work. Why isn’t Sally at work today? It needn’t be this way, particularly since knowledge work and learning are nearly indistinguishable.

article thumbnail

Thriving in the Net-Work Era

Jay Cross

Mayo discovered the Hawthorne Effect, opening the study of motivation. Understanding what type of environment we are working in (Simple, Complicated, Complex or Chaotic) lets us frame our actions. Effective organizations are starting to look more like inverted pyramids. GE started its corporate schools. ASTD is born.