Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Effectiveness Remove Knowledge Work

LearnTrends: Microlearning

Experiencing eLearning

Microlearning – the learning that results from “micro” content published in short form and limited by the software and devices used to view it – offers alternatives to traditional development methods for workers who deal with web-based information as part of their job. Let’s discuss how microlearning might address the realities of learning in a digital age. Specifically focusing on OTJ skills & knowledge. Basic goal: make learning more effective through new media.

Taking Stock and Making Choices: Working from home and other such stuff

ID Reflections

I have come back to blogging after a hiatus of almost 5 months. Mostly, business as usual at work and crisis situations at home took my time and attention. Because I love what I do (and I am hugely fortunate in that sense), it’s very easy to let my work consume me and my time. Much has been written about priorities and work life balance — especially for women. We just need to bring back the human spirit into all of the interactions we keep getting involved with.

Stock 116

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

50 suggestions for implementing 70-20-10

Jay Cross

Sharing 50 suggestions on putting 70-20-10 to work has consumed five posts spread over two months. Effective managers make stretch. Knowledge work has evolved into keeping up and taking advantage of connections. Conversations are the stem cells of learning.

Shifting sands

Learning with e's

Although it is very difficult to predict the future, we are aware of the trends and can use these to detect where we may be heading, and that may take us in one or more directions, hence the plurality of ''futures''. The old modes of teaching are outmoded.

Deeper eLearning Design: Part 6 – Putting It All Together

Learnnovators

This is the sixth and final post in a series of six that covers Deeper eLearning. The goal of this series is to build upon good implementations of instructional design, and go deeper into the nuances of what makes learning really work. It is particularly focused on eLearning, but much of what has been mentioned also applies to face-to-face or virtual instruction. We’ve covered objectives, practice, concepts, examples, and the emotional component.

Informal Learning 2.0

Jay Cross

Effectiveness – Jay Cross. In the world of business, the era of networks is crowding out the Industrial Age. In sum, networks are ushering in new ways of doing business. Such an approach fails in the face of rampant change.

Thriving in the Net-Work Era

Jay Cross

That led me to an article Harold and I had written on the demise of the training department. The Future of the Training Department. The latter 20th Century was the golden era of the training department. Now the training department may be at the end of its life cycle.

Old Skills and New Know-How

Web Tools for Learners

After reading Michele Martin’s post, Knowledge Workers as Craft Workers , I began to think of other crafts and skills that have been changed by technology. My grandmother grew her own vegetables, collected eggs from her chickens, and knew how to produce and preserve much of the food she prepared for her family. My Mom grew some of her vegetables, collected recipes, canned some fruits, and cooked on an electric stove with an oven where she could set the temperature.

Not Your Father’s ROI

Jay Cross

The July issue of Chief Learning Officer is now available online. It features an article in which Jon Husband and I delve into how to measure the impact of learning in the network era. The industrial age has run out of steam. It shows the logic of how results will be achieved.

ROI 73

Decisions, decisions. Business decisions.

Jay Cross

Jay Cross examines decision making on learning at work, and gives the lie to some myths about the use of business metrics. To “earn a seat at the table” where the business managers sit, you must: Speak the language of business. Behave like an officer of the corporation.