Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Effectiveness Remove Knowledge Worker

Lurking is Not a Static State

ID Reflections

Lurking and its role in communities has been on the forefront of my mind for the past few days. It has received a lot of attention in the past from the thought leaders in the realm of learning and the role of communities in personal as well as organizational learning.

KM 219

I Believe in the Importance of a Personal Learning Network

Tom Spiglanin

I hadn’t yet recognized the value of connectedness , but knew immediately that I was learning from each of these encounters. Much of what I found I now consider useless or completely wrong. Community I Believe Informal Learning Social Learning

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

LearnTrends: Microlearning

Experiencing eLearning

Microlearning – the learning that results from “micro” content published in short form and limited by the software and devices used to view it – offers alternatives to traditional development methods for workers who deal with web-based information as part of their job. Let’s discuss how microlearning might address the realities of learning in a digital age. Specifically focusing on OTJ skills & knowledge. Basic goal: make learning more effective through new media.

Re-imagining Work & Learning in a Networked World

ID Reflections

"The nature of work is changing. The changes to society will be vast" by @gapingvoid We are on the eve of 2015! Most of us do a retrospection of the year gone by, and a future-spection of the year to come. Social is NOT a set of tools.

Taking Stock and Making Choices: Working from home and other such stuff

ID Reflections

I have come back to blogging after a hiatus of almost 5 months. I didn’t realise how deeply this constant tussle and tug of war have been affecting me at a sub-conscious level till I had to sit down and weigh some of the choices. To be connected to colleagues and co-workers, be in office as much as possible. We just need to bring back the human spirit into all of the interactions we keep getting involved with. Are you a knowledge worker working from home?

Stock 116

4 Ways L&D Can Maximize Learning Technology for Hyper-Connected Learners

Instilled

The modern workforce is connected through an ecosystem comprised of business tools and learning technologies — like learning experience systems — and even personal devices. This blog post explores ways that L&D professionals can take advantage of having hyper-connected learners across the enterprise. A constant state of connection has grown increasingly common, especially for knowledge workers. Deliver Learning in the Flow of Work.

Success Formula for Discussion Forums in Financial Services

Tony Karrer

I received a question this week related to Discussion Forums for Knowledge Sharing at Capital City Bank : I successfully launched a discussion forum for a small group of lending assistants within my bank. I’ve used examples from the lending assistants as well as other benefits of the tool to demonstrate how its use would benefit the bank and these work groups. One of the things that this group has identified as one of their “problems” is that they receive too many emails.

Forum 110

Jay Cross – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

Jay is the Johnny Appleseed of informal learning. Jay has challenged conventional wisdom about how adults learn since designing the first business degree program offered by the University of Phoenix. A champion of informal learning and systems thinking, Jay’s calling is to create happier, more productive workplaces. Jay works from the Internet Time Lab in Berkeley, high in the hills a dozen miles east of the Golden Gate Bridge and a mile and a half from the University.

The Working Smarter Fieldbook: A Glimpse and Some Thoughts

ID Reflections

Image via Wikipedia "Collaboration is a process through which people who see different aspects of a problem can constructively explore their differences and search for the solution that go beyond their own limited vision of what is possible." ~ Anecdote And informal learning is hinged on collaboration. The book is a synthesis of years of collective experience, know-how, knowledge and deep passion for improving and enabling human performance.

Network Skills

Tony Karrer

I personally believe that one of the areas where learning professionals need the most help is how communities and networks impact learning and building individual and facilitation skills around these: Knowing how to individually leverage Network Skills and Communities to help with work and learning tasks Community and Network Facilitation Skills to help others learn and work using networks and communities In my post Networks and Learning Communities , I looked a bit at this topic.

Informal Learning – the other 80%

Jay Cross

I’ll be leading a series of master classes on informal learning and working smarter in Europe. Workers who know more get more accomplished. It’s all a matter of learning, but it’s not the sort of learning that is the province of training departments, workshops, and classrooms.

JSB on the roots of informal learning

Jay Cross

Informal Learning begins with these words: “THIS IS A BOOK about knowledge workers, twenty-first-century business, and informal learning. formal learning of all kinds ? The workhorse of the knowledge economy has been, and continues to be, informal learning.

Reflections from May trip to Italy, UK, and Netherlands

Jay Cross

Two days of the trip were paid work: One day I keynoted the Learning Innovations and Quality Conference and participated in the launch of the International Council for Open Research and Education ( ICORE ) in Rome. Lack of conformity keeps you alert. COMMUNITIES OF PRACTICE.

Sun, Elite, and the future

Jay Cross

Awash in multiple distractions, most have the attention spans of gnats. Ye Gods, most of them don’t read email any more, much less books. They live in the fast lane, skittering across the top of important issues without ever getting to the heart of the matter.

Sun 46

Why Corporate Training is Broken And How to Fix It

Jay Cross

Workers are disgruntled 10. Training is out of sync with the times 11. What worked twenty years ago doesn’t work well in the social, always-on, networked world of business we now inhabit. Person-to-person instruction is no longer cost-effective. Number of Responses.

Top 10 eLearning Predictions 2011 #LCBQ

Tony Karrer

Lots of discussion and debate around interesting questions for eLearning professionals. We would welcome lots of discussion. Situated learning (learning within context in a community of practice) grows thanks to augmented mobile reality.

Decisions, decisions. Business decisions.

Jay Cross

Jay Cross examines decision making on learning at work, and gives the lie to some myths about the use of business metrics. To “earn a seat at the table” where the business managers sit, you must: Speak the language of business. Behave like an officer of the corporation.

PDR Design Model Supports Shift to Learning Design in the Work Context

Living in Learning

The concept of a learning shift represents a course correction by the USS Training Department. We are under full steam and headed into the shallows, and are in danger of running aground. Our rules of engagement must expand (or shift) to accommodate a new field of battle.

Old Skills and New Know-How

Web Tools for Learners

After reading Michele Martin’s post, Knowledge Workers as Craft Workers , I began to think of other crafts and skills that have been changed by technology. My grandmother grew her own vegetables, collected eggs from her chickens, and knew how to produce and preserve much of the food she prepared for her family. Without the pressure of needing to eat regularly in this new environment, going back to, or sticking with, the old ways would be very attractive.

Centring on strengths at core of self-directed learning approach

Jay Cross's Informal Learning

Appearing in today’s issue of Axiom News, Building Better Organizations : Better to begin from positive assumptions about employees. Jay Cross, thought leader in the field of self-directed learning in the workplace, says promoting individual strengths is at the heart of his philosophy. One of his articles, Informing Learning – the Other 80 Per Cent , Cross makes the point that training is inherently pessimistic.

Learning and KM: Separated at birth?

Jay Cross

I sensed that learning and knowledge management were converging and invited bloggers form both sides to get together at the Tidehouse to share viewpoints and guzzle beer. He shares strategies, stories, and real-world examples of successful enterprise collaboration using 2.0

KM 49

Top 68 eLearning Posts from April - Hot Topics iPad Google Buzz

eLearning Learning Posts

Best of eLearning Learning. The Org Structure of Enterprise 2.0 - trainingwreck , April 18, 2010 I’m lucky to be a member of the 2.0 As a member, I have access to a plethora of sharing, information and intellect as it relates to how individuals are driving Enterprise 2.0 Key Social Learning Roles - Daretoshare , April 4, 2010 Premise : Learning communities or networks thrive because its members possess certain skills and capabilities.