Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Effectiveness Remove Work Team

Coherent Implications

Clark Quinn

One of the things to do with models is use them as the basis to explain and predict. And right now I’m working with the Coherent Organization model and looking at the implications for decisions. And of course they should share their learnings back with the community.

Detailing the Coherent Organization

Clark Quinn

I had, as Harold’s original model provided the basis for, separate groups for Work Teams, Communities of Practice, and Social Networks. I’d put them in there with some thoughts of both putting in and taking out, but I wanted to go further.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What does change(d) look like?

Clark Quinn

What would an effective L&D unit be doing, and what would the employee/manager/exec experience be? I see employees experiencing less ‘training’ As I’ve said, effective training is expensive when done properly, and should be used only when significant skill shifts are needed. Employees would be tightly coupled to their work teams, and more loosely coupled to their communities of practice.

Change 164

Starting a revolution?

Clark Quinn

In thinking a bit about the Future of Work, one of the issues is where to start. If we take the implications of the Coherent Organization to heart, we realize that the components include the work teams, the communities of practice (increasingly I think of it as a community of improvement ), and the broader network. A couple of principles fall into place for me.

Why your Enterprise Social Network is your most valuable social learning platform

Jane Hart

This is the article I wrote for the January edition of Inside Learning Technologies magazine. Social learning is a natural everyday phenomenon; simply put, we learn from our colleagues as we work with them.

Starting from scratch

Clark Quinn

From a conversation with my ITA colleagues, talking about the (self-imposed) death of L&D that Charles wrote about, Jane wondered what we might do if we were starting from scratch. I decided to take this on, thinking about an org that was already in operation, with it’s goals, processes, and practices, and what I might do if I were to come in and get it going (with the support of the executive team to do what I thought was right).

Determinism, Best Practice, and the ‘Training Solution’

Performance Learning Productivity

Determinism is the philosophical idea that every event, including every human decision and action, is the inevitable result of preceding actions and that, given certain conditions, there is only one outcome. This is the positive use of determinism – repeatable processes, identical results.

Building a Performance Ecosystem

CLO Magazine

By combining the power of the human brain with technology in a way that facilitates work, collaboration and communication, leaders can turn learning into multifaceted performance support. Things are moving faster, and organizations have to be more nimble, responding to changes in their audiences, competitors and the context of work. Lots of the opportunities to improve come through the network, through the people we learn with and from.