Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Portfolio Remove Social

Communities of Practice Need Some Practice

Nick Leffler

This is my 3rd post in my journey to cover my thoughts and ideas on the four topics covered in week 3 of the Exploring Innovations in Networked Work and Learning cMOOC. Defining Communities of Practice (CoP). It’s hard to define a Community of Practice, but I think a good start would be to quote a Tweet I recently saw from another MSLOC430 participant. Those that attend do so out of obligation after a while, not interest.

The differences between social professional networks and communities of practice

Matrix

The meaning ofcommunity’ has changed drastically with the spread of the internet and the rise of all the social networks. No longer confined by geography, people who share the same interests can connect, share and grow as a community online. Organizational value of online communities. Main difference between social and professional communities. Communities of practice focus on a subject.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A Brief Introduction – Communities of Practice Manager

The Learning Circuits

As Ryann mentioned in a previous post, I’m the Community of Practice Manager for Learning Technologies at ASTD. In this role, I engage with the community and help build ASTD’s portfolio of content—from T+D articles to books to educational programs to conferences and beyond. I also help foster discussion and debate within the community. Indeed, no area in world of learning is more exciting than Learning Technologies.

When Social means Business …

Learning Cafe

Last week news was abounding that Microsoft are about to announce their acquisition of social media company Yammer for $1.2B. Although not yet confirmed, it comes hot on the heels of other social media buy outs such as Salesforce.com snapping up Buddy Media for close to $700 million to complement its existing Chatter social media platform; Oracle adding Collective Intellect and Vitrue to its portfolio of social media-related acquisitions and SAP acquiring Ariba for $4.3

Where is L&D heading?

E-Learning Provocateur

The topic of the evening was Where is L&D Heading? and some questions were posted through by the attendees ahead of time, while others emerged through the discourse. Here is an overview of my answers, plus elaborations and suggestions for further reading, for each of the questions that was (and was not) asked. Is the race to the bottom on time and price for degrees affecting employers’ perceptions of universities? The moot point of MOOCs.

Work Out Loud – Don’t Just Share What You Did

Nick Leffler

Today is the final day of my four-day journey to cover my thoughts on this week’s topics for the online cMOOC Exploring Innovations in Networked Work and Learning. I’ve already covered the wonderful topics of crowdsourcing , idea management and design and yesterday’s communities of practice. This is my favorite topic out of the four. Working out loud is opposite of just showing the final work.

The Neuroscience of Mood Boards

Learningtogo

The primary benefit of constructing a mood board is saving time. Scope creep can occur for a variety of reasons ; one of the most common is that the client changes his or her mind by the time you get to the development phase. In software development this phenomenon is called the Cost of Change Curve. Summaries and examples of possible learning activities. That’s the power of giving your brain a problem to solve and getting out of the way.

Looking Back On 2015

Nick Leffler

This is my obligatory end of the year post reflecting on my year in 2015. It’s not really obligatory of course, but it’s fun to look back at all my posts and reflect. Some of my posts from earlier in the year seem so old by the time the end of the year rolls around so it’s almost necessary to look back on them. I do know it talked about social learning being a flop (but in what regard that gets a bit murky).

PKM 100

Do You Need An Instructional Design Degree?

Rapid eLearning

Many of them are working with limited resources and it’s interesting to see how they approach their work. I also get lots of good questions. One of the most frequent questions asked is whether or not they need instructional design degrees. I’m interested in seeing a portfolio of work that represents their technical skills as well as their instructional design skills. Because of this, I usually tell people “No, they don’t,” and “Yes, they do.”.

Get an E-Learning Job with these Simple Tips

Rapid eLearning

One of the most frequent questions I get is how to find an elearning job. While the rest of the economy seems to be stuck in mud, this seems to be a good time to consider a career in elearning. In a previous post I talked a bit on how to prepare for opportunities by getting experience and maintaining a portfolio. Here’s Why You Need an E-Learning Portfolio. Some people don’t like the notion of competition, but it’s real. In the third, document proof of this.

Job 79

Revamping 70-20-10

CLO Magazine

The 70-20-10 model for professional development is a valuable but dated approach in need of a checkup. There is a core set of frameworks that support the way organizational learning and development is conducted. Many of these, such as the Kirkpatrick evaluation levels, carrot and stick motivational programs and the ADDIE model have been around since the 1960s. The world of mobile and social learning and Google, however, requires new measures.

Most awesome revelations in Working Smarter Daily for June 2011

Jay Cross

Best of Working Smarter Daily. 7 objections to social media in learning (and answers) - Donald Clark Plan B , June 11, 2011. Connecting with Communities of Practice - Harold Jarche , June 2, 2011. Making the most of Informal Learning - Jane Hart , June 16, 2011. Social media & learning – note taking on steroids - Donald Clark Plan B , June 20, 2011. Rioting in an age of transparency - George Siemens , June 17, 2011. Why Social?

PKM 43

5 Ways to Prepare & Be an E-Learning Winner

Rapid eLearning

At the close of the conference, I participated in a panel presentation with some really smart people (not sure how I got invited). It’s usually the result of preparation and opportunity. While there are always all sorts of opportunities available, the challenge we face is that we’re not always prepared for them. Because of this, we are usually oblivious to the opportunities that exist. Instead I’d walk right past it oblivious to what’s right there in front of me.

Learning first, technology second

Learning with 'e's

Many teachers welcome the idea of bringing new technology into the classroom. They see it as a means to engage learners, and as a way of making connections between school curricula and familiar territory. Ideas range from games based learning , to the use of social media and networking, to simpler approaches such as the use of digital cameras in art or data logging in science. Sometimes, the technology does get in the way of learning and teaching.

What’s in Your Toolbox?

CLO Magazine

Content, audience, environment and available technology each play a role in how learning is delivered, and all of those continue to evolve. Asynchronous e-learning is increasingly seen as the preferred delivery method to train a group with varied skill levels, and classroom remains the most significant form of training, in spite of alternatives. Economy Driving Small Shifts CLOs are using the full range of options for learning delivery.

Podcast 19: Customer Education 101 – With Dave Derington of Azuqua

Talented Learning

WELCOME TO EPISODE 19 OF THE TALENTED LEARNING SHOW! To learn more about this podcast series or to see the full collection of episodes visit The Talented Learning Show main page. EPISODE 19 – TOPIC SUMMARY AND GUEST: On our previous episode , we talked about the increasing popularity of customer success programs among high-growth companies – especially software-as-a-service (SaaS) vendors. But new communities of practice are emerging to offer knowledge sharing and support.

LearnTrends - Google Wave - DevLearn - Best of eLearning Learning

eLearning Learning Posts

Best of eLearning Learning. Implementing Social Media: Beyond The Hype. Why The Death Of The Newspaper Industry Should Scare The Hell Out Of The Learning Industry. Social Media: Trends and Implications for Learning. The New Wave of eLearning Technologies. The following are the top items from featured sources based on social signals. Should Educators be Afraid of Having a Facebook Profile? eLearning report: Review of Learning 2.0

eLearning Learning - Best of June 2009

eLearning Learning Posts

You can subscribe to the best of eLearning Learning to receive weekly, monthly hot lists and other updates that provide you with the best of eLearning Learning. The following are the top posts from featured sources based on social signals. The Various Roles of Instructional Design (work in progress) - Jonathan’s ID , June 5, 2009. Business of Learning - eLearning Technology , June 15, 2009. SharePoint vs. Social Media - Engaged Learning , June 22, 2009.

Top 125 Workplace eLearning Posts of 2009

eLearning Learning Posts

It’s always fun at this time of the year to look back at what’s happened in the world of eLearning. So without further set, I’m happy to announce the Top Posts as defined by Social Filtering - meaning by everyone involved directly or indirectly in eLearning Learning. You can see more detail of how this works here in Curator Editor Research Opportunities on eLearning Learning (and see how you can be involved). Top 125 Workplace eLearning Posts of 2009.

Top 68 eLearning Posts from April - Hot Topics iPad Google Buzz

eLearning Learning Posts

Best of eLearning Learning. The following are the top items from featured sources based on social signals. The Org Structure of Enterprise 2.0 - trainingwreck , April 18, 2010 I’m lucky to be a member of the 2.0 As a member, I have access to a plethora of sharing, information and intellect as it relates to how individuals are driving Enterprise 2.0 Community members should be able to perform one or more of the five roles described in the table that follows.