LearnTrends: Personal Knowledge Management

Experiencing eLearning

These are my live blogged notes from Harold Jarche’s LearnTrends session on Personal Knowledge Management. What is effective for one person may not be for another. Posted in Learning Communities, Lifelong Learning, PLE, Workplace Learning. Tags: Learning Communities Lifelong Learning PLE Workplace Learning Harold Jarche learntrends PKM My side comments are in italics. Sense-making with PKM.

How Knowledge Management techniques can be used to enhance training

Matrix

At its core, training is all about the transfer of knowledge from the trainer or instructional designer to the learner. This is where knowledge management comes in. What is Knowledge Management? Knowledge Management allows for strategic planning.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

From Learning Management to Personal Knowledge Management

Jane Hart

But in fact it has been clear for some time that many individuals are already taking responsibility for not only acquiring new knowledge and skills but for a wide range of activities for their continuous learning and professional development. Acquiring new knowledge and skills – e.g. in webinars, online workshops, MOOCs, and through videos and screencasts, etc. So how effective are your own PKM skills?

5 Knowledge Management Tools to Consider

WalkMe Training Station

Knowledge management usually involves storing, organizing and sharing crucial information, so that every individual in the organization together with its customers can greatly benefit from its use. Rather, adequate knowledge builds upon the necessary data and information to offer a context and ultimately helps in improving employee performance. The Most important Knowledge Management Tools. Novo Knowledge-Base Software.

The Six Hats Of A Community Manager

Learnnovators

Community Management is an evolving role and organizations are beginning to see the need for this role. In this post, I want to talk about the different hats that we need to don as community managers. This shift calls for some intense community management and community building, and the post focuses on the different roles a community manager needs to play during this time. Needless to say, we need to be cheerleaders for our community.

Knowledge Management Core Issues

Tony Karrer

With an ever deceasing half-life of knowledge , just keeping up has become a major corporate imperative. We have made little progress in preventing those repeating errors, as firms grow in size and complexity, building relationships that enable knowledge flows, keeping in the loop and finding stuff becomes a huge issue. Discovering opportunities and gaps in knowledge flows, improving personal networking and finding experts (in larger firms).

Quick Wins in Knowledge Management

Tony Karrer

Great post by Dave Pollard - Knowledge Management: Finding Quick Wins and Long Term Value the second Dilbert comic strip in the post is worth the visit to the page. I'm probably particularly happy with the list because several items echo suggestions I've been making in posts such as: Managing your RSS Feeds PKM and Personal Learning Personal Learning for Learning Professionals - Using Web 2.0 I'd suggest that you get desktop search and learn how to use it effectively.

Collaboration - Knowledge Management - Expert - Hot List

Tony Karrer

eLearning Learning Hot List - May 29, 2009 to June 5, 2009 Top Posts The following are the top posts from featured sources based on social signals. Adobe eLearning Suite: is it worth it?

Managing Diversity through Community Management

ID Reflections

On the positive front, I have been doing a lot of reading—mostly around organizational behavior, organizational development, culture and diversity, motivation and communication, and how these relate to social business and knowledge management. As a community manager and social business evangelist in a highly distributed and diverse organization, I’ve begun to realize not only the value of but the critical need to understand these aspects.

Sahana Chattopadhyay – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

Her work with various companies like Tata Interactive Systems, Zensar Technologies, ThoughtWorks and Future Group has given her a width of experience that spans instructional design, workplace learning strategy, knowledge management, social learning and community management, and people development. However, by definition all training programs are past focused based on an analysis of the past, imparting best practices and documented explicit knowledge.

PKM 158

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

What makes knowledge so hard to capture? The tricky tacit and explicit knowledge sharing. In this article, we will define knowledge and how using your LMS, you can share tacit and explicit knowledge using some knowledge management strategies. One highlight of a learning management system is its collaboration within course participants. There are several ways to do that using your learning management system. In short, actionable knowledge.

KM 67

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

What makes knowledge so hard to capture? The tricky tacit and explicit knowledge sharing. In this article, we will define knowledge and how using your LMS, you can share tacit and explicit knowledge using some knowledge management strategies. One highlight of a learning management system is its collaboration within course participants. There are several ways to do that using your learning management system. In short, actionable knowledge.

KM 50

Introducing the Social Intranet Index

E-Learning Provocateur

Devoid of ringfences, the platform effectively becomes a giant wiki. The corporate community pitches in to produce and maintain organic knowledge. Knowledge contained in silos is increasingly shared, and a broader community blossoms. Effectively, its hierarchy flattens. There’s a lot of talk about social intranets these days. It even threatens to overtake the blogosphere’s current obsession with gamification.

Social 148

The dynamics of managing/nurturing networks of practice

Joitske Hulsebosch eLearning

Keeping the Wheels Turning: The Dynamics of Managing Networks of Practice. Journal of Management Studies, 47(1), 85-108 The authors make a distinction between NoPs and CoPs; networks of practice and communities of practice. I would not make that distinction, because the closeness between members does not depend on distance, people can really feel part of and identify with a community of practitioners who are based in different location all over the globe.

Taking Stock and Making Choices: Working from home and other such stuff

ID Reflections

Work —complex knowledge work requires solitude as well as collaboration. Ever since I started working primarily from home, I realized (even more so than before) the importance of online communities—within my organization and without. While I have always been an advocate of informal learning (immensely grateful to Jane Hart, Harold Jarche, Jay Cross and the ITA for showing the way) and communities of practice, I am now becoming an evangelist of both.

Stock 116

Trust, Tacit Knowledge and Social Business

ID Reflections

As I read the post on Resolvingthe Trust Paradox by John Hagel, I was reminded of two things—the talk on the power of vulnerability by Brene Brown and what Morten Hansen says about tacit knowledge sharing in hisbook Collaboration:How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Create Unity, and Reap Big Results. I hadwritten about the latter in my post Molotovcocktail = Weak ties x complicated knowledge. social_business tacit Knowledge Management Tacit knowledge Knowledge Flow John Hagel

Trust 136

Introducing the Social Intranet Index

E-Learning Provocateur

Devoid of ringfences, the platform effectively becomes a giant wiki. The corporate community pitches in to produce and maintain organic knowledge. Knowledge contained in silos is increasingly shared, and a broader community blossoms. Effectively, its hierarchy flattens. There’s a lot of talk about social intranets these days. It even threatens to overtake the blogosphere’s current obsession with gamification.

Social 100

How Effective are Current Online Employee Training Solutions in Combating High Attrition Rates?

ProProfs

We asked 10 experts about how effective are the current online employee training solutions are in combating high attrition rates. Today companies need to have an effective employee training software available for helping its employees to keep their skills fresh and up to date with everyday changes that happen very frequently. Today employees are using Microlearning instead of the community college systems that we had used in the 20th century.

Why E-Learning is So Effective

Rapid eLearning

This includes the static elearning course as well as any ongoing conversations in networked communities. E-learning Nurtures a Learning Organization & Community. Knowledge management. If you incorporate some of the tools that allow collaboration and conversation, you can capture organizational knowledge that is available for future learners. The foundation of a learning community is built on sharing what you know with others. E-learning is hot.

Easy peasy ways to apply social learning for effective online learning

ProProfs

When it comes to learning in general, maintaining social learning has always been an important part of adopting new information and transforming it into long-term knowledge. In simple words, social presence refers to all the knowledge a person accumulates by watching other people’s behavior. The most frequent question they tend to answer these days is how to improve social presence in online learning, especially when it comes to management systems.

The Top Six Things Organizations Must Do to Enable Emergent Learning

Learnnovators

MOOCs which straddle the line between social learning and e-learning with learner communities. This is leading to a shift in the role of the L&D department – from managers and disseminators of formally designed programs to facilitators and enablers of collaboration and communities. It empowers learners to build their personal learning networks (PLN) and personal knowledge management (PKM) by leveraging technology to connect a distributed and diverse workforce.

Getting The Most Out Of Your LMS

Upside Learning

What is a Learning Management System used for? Wikis are simple, efficient tools for managing knowledge and collaborating. With wikis, knowledge doesn’t get buried in emails, locked into file systems, hard drives or servers, intranets or extranets, or closed in more specialized data management systems and knowledge management systems. Wikis are online so users can access, collaborate, and share content, knowledge and files anytime, anywhere.

RSS 201

Make Employee Training Effective With These Online Quiz Maker Hacks

ProProfs

In today’s hyper-competitive world, there is a need to place utmost importance on an Effective Employee Training Program that would enhance worker performance and provide better bottom lines. An effective training program should be designed by considering these three essential micro-learning characteristics: Lean – The solution should not require an “army” of trainers to implement.

Quiz 51

I Believe in the Importance of a Personal Learning Network

Tom Spiglanin

Still others were from the perspective of the educational community and how PLNs can replace formal education. There was even one prominent source that described a PLN as a community of practice, which it clearly is not. A community of practice is a group of people who share a profession or field of practice. You can join a community and might then learn within that group, primarily in your shared field of practice.

L&D's New Hatrack

ID Reflections

This necessitates individuals to practice Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) and build their Personal Learning Networks (PLN). Workers will use mobile devices including wearables to learn at the point of need, access their network and communities of practices to solve challenges, share user-generated content in response to the community needs or just to share their learning. Each member will bring their expertise to bear and share their knowledge and experiences.

PKM 109

Social Learning Cannot Be A Bolt-On Strategy

Learnnovators

It’s a strategic approach to shaping a business culture, highly dependent upon executive leadership and corporate strategy, including business process design, risk management, leadership development, financial controls and use of business analytics. Becoming a Social Business can help an organization deepen customer relationships, generate new ideas faster, identify expertise and enable a more effective workforce.”

Designing an Effective Online Course

ProProfs

The USP of a course is the instructor’s ability to effectively deliver the ideas and knowledge to the target audience. Apart from this, we present some of the possible ways to design your course effectively. You can do this by either adding up a short form with the enrollment form of your course or you can also contact them via communities such as social media and emails. Use your teaching skills effectively to make your course effective.

SOCIAL LEARNING CANNOT BE A BOLT-ON STRATEGY

Learnnovators

It’s a strategic approach to shaping a business culture, highly dependent upon executive leadership and corporate strategy, including business process design, risk management, leadership development, financial controls and use of business analytics. Becoming a Social Business can help an organization deepen customer relationships, generate new ideas faster, identify expertise and enable a more effective workforce.”.

Designing Learning Solutions to Retain and Grow Organisational Knowledge – Online Forum

Learning Cafe

The Learning Cafe community is coming across requirements for designing Learning Solutions to effectively use and retain organisational knowledge. The conversation goes something like this – Is there a way we can design and develop a learning solution (classroom workshop, online course, blended offering) that captures the knowledge of our experienced employees and makes it available to newer or less experienced employees ?

Forum 55

My History of Live Blogged Notes

Experiencing eLearning

That helps me remember what I attended and what I learned, and it lets me share that knowledge with others. Personal Knowledge Management. Learning Communities. E-Learning Communities. Wikis that Work: Effective Wiki Practices for Virtual Learning Communities. What can Educators Learn from Online Religious Communities? When I attend webinars or participate in online courses and conferences, I usually live blog my notes.

Utilizing Social Learning for Workplace Learning: What Can Learners and Managers Do?

G-Cube

Social learning tools which are easily accessible to all can be extremely effective for corporate trainings as well, aiding and re-enforcing the effects of formal learning initiatives. There are many ways that social media and social learning tools can be utilized for effective online learning – be it a forum of like-minded peers, live chats or even audio/video sharing platforms. What can managers do to ensure Social Learning success? Social media is here to stay.

At the edge

Clark Quinn

Communities of Practice served as a model for this thinking. This included and Enterprise Social Network and a Knowledge Management system. For an internal self-help solution, Allison Anderson developed a community of practice with events, portal, and a networking platform. This is the L&D part of a larger push to make the workplace more effective by making it more humane (read: more aligned with us ).

12 features of supporting social collaboration in the workplace

Jane Hart

1 – moving from a focus on organising and managing training (which includes e-learning and blended learning) FOR others, to helping individuals and teams address their OWN performance problems. 3 – helping people work and learn effectively in this networked era (and within a social business), by developing their own Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) skills. Want to find out more Online Communities ?

Retaining Your Company’s Knowledge through eLearning

TalentLMS

By now, what we call the “2020 Information Age”, knowledge has become an asset. Immeasurable And all the while you thought, your eLearning efforts had been enough to generate “knowledge” within your company to coax in enough ROI, the much anticipated green bills. In short, as a dedicated business professional, you believed you had invested enough time, efforts and money to create eLearning courses to generate knowledge within your organization that would in turn bring in profits.

PKM is our part of the social learning contract

Jane Hart

PKM is also a key skill of being an effective autonomous learner – as we can see from the many individuals who are already organizing and managing their own personal learning strategies in the organization – and consequently a key aspect of BYOL (Bring Your Own Learning). Finding your voice: Using a probe-sense-respond approach, participants can test out a new medium within our community of practice.

PKM 173

Top 10 LMS for eLearning

Ed App

Companies use Learning Management Systems (LMS) to document, track, report, automate, and deliver various courses, training, and learning and development programs to their employees. Private and public learning communities. The Pros: Knowledge management tools like chatbots available.

Maximize Workforce Performance with an LMS

TOPYX LMS

In your opinion, what is a social learning management system (LMS) good for? Implementing a social learning management system is an approach that many employers are finding legitimately increases workforce productivity. In the paper Knowledge Management Platform for Online Training , Ramona Oros, Andreas Pester and Caterina Berbenni-Rehm make it clear that there are three requirements for successful learning that maximizes work performance: Clearly structured learning processes.

20 ways to prepare yourself for modern workplace learning

Jane Hart

You have been an active participant in a number of online communities and understand the activities involved in of community management and what makes a good community manager. L&D can better manage or support the management of organisational communities. L&D can help to develop effective personal learning/knowledge management skills in their people.

The Top Six Things Organizations Must Do to Enable Emergent Learning

ID Reflections

Social learning via an enterprise collaboration platform Mobile enabled learning accessible anytime, anywhere, on any device of the user’s choice MOOCs which straddle the line between social learning and e-learning with learner communities While an organization can facilitate these, the onus lies with the users/learners. Shift from networks to communities. However, facilitating networks is not enough albeit it’s the necessary precursor to building communities.

How to Leverage Learning to Attract and Retain Talent at Your Organization

Infopro Learning

They want 1) a job that they have the skills for and are enabled to do well, 2) to be part of a community at work, and 3) a sense of purpose and alignment between personal and organizational values. The same processes in your onboarding programs can be modified and extended across your workforce to manage other worker transitions – whether it’s a promotion, transfer, or when a cultural shift occurs (like M&A activity, downsizing or even a company rebrand.).