About blogging, tunneling visions and knowledge entrepreneurship

Joitske Hulsebosch eLearning

Julie is doing research for the university of Amsterdam (VU) into (micro-)blogging as part of her PdD research about knowledge and power in the development sector. This research had the goal to investigate how knowledge related to a shared organising vision (in this case (ICT4D, about ICT for development). Blogging may hence be an important activity for professional development of knowledge workers and can help develop their professional identity.

Sahana Chattopadhyay – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

ABOUT SAHANA CHATTOPADHYAY (Social Learning & Collaboration Strategist, Performance Consultant Exploring Emergent Learning, Blogger). Her work with various companies like Tata Interactive Systems, Zensar Technologies, ThoughtWorks and Future Group has given her a width of experience that spans instructional design, workplace learning strategy, knowledge management, social learning and community management, and people development.

PKM 155
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Lurking is Not a Static State

ID Reflections

Lurking and its role in communities has been on the forefront of my mind for the past few days. It has received a lot of attention in the past from the thought leaders in the realm of learning and the role of communities in personal as well as organizational learning. I have recently taken on enterprise community facilitation and was curious to see how people are interacting on our enterprise collaboration platform. This is especially true of communities in enterprises.

KM 169

LearnTrends: Microlearning

Experiencing eLearning

Microlearning – the learning that results from “micro” content published in short form and limited by the software and devices used to view it – offers alternatives to traditional development methods for workers who deal with web-based information as part of their job. Specifically focusing on OTJ skills & knowledge. Current definitions: Microlearning emerges from microcontent. Focused on knowledge workers–people who use digital info in their jobs.

14 Best Ways for Employers to Develop Their Employees

Your Training Edge

Thanks to reporting tools that are featured in LMS software solutions, organizations can monitor and track training in real time, identify knowledge gaps, and tailor the learning experience for groups and even individuals. There are many community colleges and universities offering various business programs in afternoons and evenings. Make your L&D department assess the knowledge gaps and launch a survey. This ensures that the knowledge vital for success gets passed on.

Re-imagining Work & Learning in a Networked World

ID Reflections

Over the next two decades we can expect the knowledge of the world to be digitalised, with an exponential rise in user-generated content, "wise-crowd" application and open innovation applications." IMHO, the shifts and their impact delineated above will enforce and require collaboration -- between individuals, among organizations, between individuals and organizations, among project teams and communities of practices, and such. "The nature of work is changing.

Collaboration: A mantra that makes work play!

ID Reflections

Background: I think most knowledge workers approach work from two perspectives. This is the place where complex ideas take shape and patterns emerge laying down the road map for the future. The paper also examines Community Collaboration and Network Collaboration. Knowledge of each other’s work, communication and learning styles.

After-Christmas Sale: Informal Learning

Jay Cross's Informal Learning

This book relates the stories of how more than a dozen firms are using informal learning to: Increase sales by Google-izing product knowledge. Improve knowledge worker productivity 20% – 30%. Help workers learn to learn for sustainable competitive advantage. Chapter 4: Emergence. Chapter 10: Communities. New Year’s Resolution: Use informal learning to improve organizational performance in 2010.

The Working Smarter Fieldbook: A Glimpse and Some Thoughts

ID Reflections

My current understanding of informal learning and collaboration, their place in the workplace, their efficacy in improving performance--both individual and organizational, their importance in individual happiness, and their relevance in becoming a true professional and building communities of practice , all stem from the blogs of these thought leaders. The seek-sense-share cycle in active sense-making advocated by Harold Jarche has been done for us, and I could see the pattern emerge.

Using SharePoint

Tony Karrer

In this post, I wanted to capture some of the patterns of use of SharePoint that seem to be emerging. Using SharePoint for Work Team or Communities of Practice (CoP) Collaboration Outside of any particular formal learning, many training organizations are using SharePoint to support work teams. Possibly its smarter use of Outlook that's the intent from a Microsoft vision of supporting the knowledge worker. I've been having fabulous conversations about using SharePoint.

Executive Roundtable – Learning Systems Execs Q/A

eLearning 24-7

For example, skills are often considered an interchangeable term for skills and behaviors, and so called “soft skills” are now being thought of in the form of competencies relating to behaviors, attitudes and knowledge. The First Time.

12 eLearning Predictions for 2009

Tony Karrer

7 - Niche Tools Emerge and Get Traction in Niches So the caveat to the above statement about the big players getting bigger is that I believe we will see more and more niche tools get traction. We may also see use of Flash Quiz Tools , polls, survey tools or something like Harbinger Knowledge's Team Pod. Last year I laid out in January my Ten Predictions for eLearning 2008.

Jay Cross – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

It comprises stimulating discussions with industry experts and product evangelists on emerging trends in the learning landscape. Jay: The Internet Time Alliance is a community of practice. Forming the Alliance community was easily the best professional development move of my career. Were I to lose that knowledge in some terrible accident, I would literally have nothing to say. The workhorse of the knowledge economy has been, and continues to be, informal learning.”.

Conversation on Conversations

Tony Karrer

Through blog comments and blog posts, an interesting conversation is emerging around – Conversations as Part of Concept Work. In Love the Conversation – Ken Allan discusses the complexity of helping concept workers with the skills around this: The question here is where to start. Drafting a program to teach adults to use the right means of knowledge transfer is probably at least as difficult as teaching children to be discerning about information accessible on the Internet.

Top 100 eLearning Items

Tony Karrer

Mathemagenic " PhD conclusions in a thousand words: blogging practices of knowledge workers Web 2.0 Communities of Practice Facebook as a Learning Platform We Need a Degree in Instructional Design Learning styles don't exist 90-9-1 Rule aka 1% Rule in Collaborative Environments How long does it take to create learning? Using eLearning Learning , I thought it would be interesting to go look what it thinks are some of the top items of all time.

2009 Predictions How Did I Do?

Tony Karrer

Particularly, I’ve decided to always be a “Jack” … if you don’t know what that means or what it means about selling social learning then you should look at: Selling Learning Communities – Not Everyone Will or Wants a Group Hug. 7 -Niche Tools Emerge and Get Traction in Niches So the caveat to the above statement about the big players getting bigger is that I believe we will see more and more niche tools get traction. One of my most popular posts each year is my list of predictions.

Awesome Quotes On The Evolving Nature Of Learning

Learnnovators

To realize our true creative potential—in our organizations, in our schools and in our communities—we need to think differently about ourselves and to act differently towards each other. “ Generally in life, knowledge is acquired to be used. But school learning more often fits Freire’s apt metaphor: knowledge is treated like money, to be put away in a bank for the future. ” ― Seymour Papert. Re-emergence of old forms, methods and techniques. QUOTE. “

Open 132

JAY CROSS – CRYSTAL BALLING WITH LEARNNOVATORS

Learnnovators

It comprises stimulating discussions with industry experts and product evangelists on emerging trends in the learning landscape. Jay: The Internet Time Alliance is a community of practice. Forming the Alliance community was easily the best professional development move of my career. Were I to lose that knowledge in some terrible accident, I would literally have nothing to say. The workhorse of the knowledge economy has been, and continues to be, informal learning.”.

eLearning Learning - Best of May

Tony Karrer

Blogger in Middle-earth , May 26, 2009 Tips for Working with SMEs - Bozarthzone , May 21, 2009 Social Networking in Times of Stress and Personal Emergencies - Electronic Papyrus , May 11, 2009 Aligning Learning Theory with Instructional Design - The E-Learning Curve , May 21, 2009 Developing a PLE Using Web 2.0 eLearning Learning Hot List May 1, 2009 to May 31, 2009 Here is the best stuff from May 2009 via the eLearning Learning site. Hope you enjoy.

THE 70:20:10 MODEL – TODAY, TOMORROW & BEYOND

Learnnovators

It comprises stimulating discussions with industry experts and product evangelists on emerging trends in the learning landscape. fuelled by the enormous possibilities thrown open by emerging technologies? Charles: I see these shifts in learning as being driven not only by re-thinking the process of learning and development and by emerging technologies, but also by fundamental changes in the world of work.

Observations of a Critical Theory newbie

E-Learning Provocateur

It’s human nature to accept knowledge that’s universally propagated. In his thought-provoking paper Critical Theory: Ideology Critique and the Myths of E-Learning , Dr Norm Friesen maintains: “The central argument of critical theory is that all knowledge, even the most scientific or ‘commonsensical,’ is historical and broadly political in nature. We live in a knowledge economy. The knowledge economy.

Theory 116

Why Corporate Training is Broken And How to Fix It

Jay Cross

Workers are disgruntled 10. Service industries challenge workers to acquire tacit knowledge — the kind of know-how one learns on the job, not in the classroom. White collar workers outnumbered their blue collar colleagues for the first time. Unfortunately, workers avoided these awful courses whenever possible and training departments sullied their reputations. That accounts for a mere 5%-10% of the way workers learn their jobs.

Global digital tribe

Learning with 'e's

If you are immersed in technology mediated communication, there are no apparent barriers to membership of your community of practice. It is your virtual community. It is tribal because the global online community exhibits many of the characteristics of traditional, territorial tribal practice. Industrial society eroded the tribal gatherings of more primitive societies and redefined community. Another is the Wikipedian clan, which exists to create knowledge.

Corporate Learning Trends and Innovations 2008

Jay Cross

track emerging opportunities in learning (if it’s not at the forefront, it’s not allowed in). Dave Pollard - Working Smarter: Improving the personal productivity of knowledge workers. Nancy White - Online Social Architectures - Networks and Communities. Attend a conference for troubled times.

AWESOME QUOTES ON THE EVOLVING NATURE OF LEARNING

Learnnovators

To realize our true creative potential—in our organizations, in our schools and in our communities—we need to think differently about ourselves and to act differently towards each other. Generally in life, knowledge is acquired to be used. But school learning more often fits Freire’s apt metaphor: knowledge is treated like money, to be put away in a bank for the future. ” ? Gone are the days of “knowledge mastery” (carrying knowledge with you for later use).

Open 100

2008 2009

Tony Karrer

Strategy (15) PWLE Not PLE - Knowledge Work Not Separate from Learning (15) Corporate Social Bookmarking Tools (14) Corporate Learning Long Tail and Attention Crisis (13) Test SCORM Courses with an LMS (13) 90-9-1 Rule aka 1% Rule in Collaborative Environments (13) Social Conference Tools - Expect Poor Results (13) Instruction eLearning 2.0 Temporary Learning Communities A new batch of Learning Communities emerged.

Mzinga 100

Top 10 eLearning Predictions 2011 #LCBQ

Tony Karrer

Situated learning (learning within context in a community of practice) grows thanks to augmented mobile reality. Mobile learning sub-disciplines will begin to emerge. This month's #LCBQ is the first with the Big Question Thought Leaders. It's been fun working with them and has definitely added a new spark. I'm hoping that others will join the effort. We strongly believe the #LCBQ offers an opportunity to have something online that's like a sophisticated cocktail party.

The 70:20:10 Model – Today, Tomorrow & Beyond

Learnnovators

It comprises stimulating discussions with industry experts and product evangelists on emerging trends in the learning landscape. fuelled by the enormous possibilities thrown open by emerging technologies? Charles: I see these shifts in learning as being driven not only by re-thinking the process of learning and development and by emerging technologies, but also by fundamental changes in the world of work.

Workplace Learning Professionals Next Job - Management Consultant

Tony Karrer

But there was another significant trend in the answers… Learning and Work Converge In a world where Knowledge Work and Learning is Inseparable , finding ways to support and improve work is the same as finding ways to support and improve learning. Jay Cross in Ten Years After puts it: In a knowledge society, learning is the work. Supporting Concept Workers In The Future of the Training Department by Harold Jarche and Jay Cross, they discuss how work models are changing.

Determinism, Best Practice, and the ‘Training Solution’

Charles Jennings

Cynefin is a sense-making model – where patterns emerge from the information and data – that explains how to respond to ordered and disordered systems. In complex and chaotic environments (where most knowledge workers reside) traditional training and development approaches that are carried out away from the context of the workplace have little or no impact. We need to help our leaders, managers and workers to better exploit the learning opportunities in their daily workflow.

Learning for the 21st Century

Unprecedented changes in the role of the worker, the nature of business, the pace of innovation, the importance of intangibles, the explosion of information, and the shift from a manufacturing to a service economy have rendered traditional corporate learning obsolete. It’s a dog’s breakfast of acquiring skills, information, knowledge, savoir faire, and more. Training consisted of supervisors showing workers how to run things. Increasingly, workers are boss- less.

Learning and KM: Separated at birth?

Jay Cross

I sensed that learning and knowledge management were converging and invited bloggers form both sides to get together at the Tidehouse to share viewpoints and guzzle beer. A social media consumer, HBS professor, MIT research scientist, and author, McAfee focuses on how emergent social software platforms are benefiting enterprises, and how smart organizations and their leaders are making effective use of them to share knowledge, inspire innovation, and enable decision making.

KM 37

Ten years after

We’re a Knowledge Business,” say an increasing number of CEOs. Most workers had to be good only at performing highly precise, structured and repetitious tasks necessitating a high degree of discipline but little or no personal initiative. Almost all workers have now to be able to think for themselves, take personal responsibility, identify new opportunities and training needs, and understand the relationship of their business to that of others. Community.

Multi-Generational Learning in the Workplace

Janet Clarey

The “younger” generation does not have a high level of use of collaborative knowledge creation tools (“2.0”) and don’t adopt radically different patterns of knowledge creation and sharing. My arguments primarily revolve around the knowledge worker - those who work with information. Emerging Technologies and Distributed Learning. Neomillennial Learning Styles: From Websites to Distributed-Learning Communities. Informal Knowledge Transfer.

Top 68 eLearning Posts from April - Hot Topics iPad Google Buzz

eLearning Learning Posts

Key Social Learning Roles - Daretoshare , April 4, 2010 Premise : Learning communities or networks thrive because its members possess certain skills and capabilities. Community members should be able to perform one or more of the five roles described in the table that follows. The road ahead : I am presently developing detailed role descriptions, community guidelines, role assessment tools, and the identification of appropriate learning products and offerings.

Working Smarter eFieldbook $12

Jay Cross

Knowledge work and learning to work smarter are becoming indistinguishable. It needn’t be this way, particularly since knowledge work and learning are nearly indistinguishable. Industrial age workers created value in factories. Knowledge workers create value in workscapes. In most cases, the knowledge work pays the freight; the informal learning comes along for the ride. A sound workscape environment empowers workers to be all that they can be.

Lotus 54

Top 70 eLearning Articles - Hot Topics: iPad Adobe Captivate - July 2010

eLearning Learning Posts

The Top 100 Tools for Learning 2010 list is emerging - Jane Hart - Pick of the Day , July 24, 2010 Voting for this year’s Top 100 Tools for Learning has been underway for just over a month. m not and I gave him the standard advice about looking through LinkedIn Guide for Knowledge Workers , LinkedIn for Finding Expertise , and Searching for Expertise - LinkedIn Answers. Knowledge transfer at its most basic. Best of eLearning Learning. July 2010.

iPad 77

SMBs and Social Learning Technologies

Janet Clarey

Shared a diagram: team collaboration, increased personal productivity, community building (the ‘why’). Need to become experts on organizational communities. Reviewed: Social networking services (corporate learning applications): To identify experts on a topic – most “knowledge” exists in the heads of employees; To reduce the time to find connections and answers to questions; extend relationships beyond traditional classroom instruction and e-learning courses.

2008 in retrospect

Jay Cross

Reality emerges from the interaction of complex adaptive systems; the future is unpredictable; nothing is certain. Community Tips for New Leaders (blog). Knowledge workers have replaced factory workers. Shareholders owned the factories, but workers own their minds. Information spreading through network connections empowers workers to make decisions and take responsibility for them. Learnscapes : where informal learning and knowledge work converge.

CLO 36