Emergent Workplaces: Learning in the Networked World

ID Reflections

A recent, very brief conversation with @krishashok triggered a few thoughts related to emergent workplaces and what learning in the networked world will look like. Setting the Context Here are two definitions from Wikipedia that captures the essence of Networked Learning: Networked learning is a process of developing and maintaining connections with people and information, and communicating in such a way so as to support one another''s learning.

Emergent Workplaces: Learning In The Networked World

Learnnovators

A recent, very brief conversation with @krishashok triggered a few thoughts related to emergent workplaces and what learning in the networked world will look like. Here are two definitions from Wikipedia that captures the essence of Networked Learning: “ Networked learning is a process of developing and maintaining connections with people and information, and communicating in such a way so as to support one another’s learning. This is my area of passion.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

EMERGENT WORKPLACES: LEARNING IN THE NETWORKED WORLD

Learnnovators

A recent, very brief conversation with @krishashok triggered a few thoughts related to emergent workplaces and what learning in the networked world will look like. Here are two definitions from Wikipedia that captures the essence of Networked Learning: “ Networked learning is a process of developing and maintaining connections with people and information, and communicating in such a way so as to support one another’s learning. NETWORKED LEARNING CHARACTERISTICS.

Six Obstacles To Building Communities In Organizations

Learnnovators

Rachel Happe begins her latest post, 10 Trends for the Future of Communities , with a comprehensive description of the various intersecting and intermingling streams and characteristics that inform communities, and I am quoting her below: “ Communities sit at the intersection of a number of trends; social media, digital transformation, a generational shift to prioritize purposeful work, the future of work, change management, leadership and social learning.”

Developing a Results Driven Curriculum

XYZ Fire Association is a network of. fire chiefs, emergency officers, and. Through their network, they identified a. to give back to the community. Developing a. Results-Driven. Curriculum. 3C O N T E N T S Contents Introduction PA G E 4 Five Steps to a. Results-Driven.

SIX OBSTACLES TO BUILDING COMMUNITIES IN ORGANIZATIONS

Learnnovators

The post SIX OBSTACLES TO BUILDING COMMUNITIES IN ORGANIZATIONS appeared first on Learnnovators.

JOHN HINCHLIFFE – CRYSTAL BALLING WITH LEARNNOVATORS

Learnnovators

He also is the founder of the Global Learning and Development Community (GLDC) , and has served on the Board of Directors for the eLearning Network. It comprises stimulating discussions with industry experts and product evangelists on emerging trends in the learning landscape.

Learning And Social Networks

Upside Learning

Google Plus is making waves among technology savvy social networkers. This is a more manageable approach for dealing with the humongous amount of incoming data that social networks generate. Since invitations were sent out from these accounts, the adoption of Plus propagated much faster through the web application/service development community. Observing the evolution of a web application’s feature set and the implications of the change for the user community.

Organizations as Communities?—?Part 2

ID Reflections

Yesterday, in a Twitter conversation with Rachel Happe regarding the need for organizations to function as communities, I wrote the following: “ Complicated solutions are yesterday’s good practices. Complex, holistic solutions are multi-faceted, emergent and constantly evolving. I interpret enabling constraints as “holding space for emergence” where constraints function as a safety net. How are communities connected to complexity, collective intelligence and “sensemaking”?

The Top Six Things Organizations Must Do to Enable Emergent Learning

ID Reflections

Social learning via an enterprise collaboration platform Mobile enabled learning accessible anytime, anywhere, on any device of the user’s choice MOOCs which straddle the line between social learning and e-learning with learner communities While an organization can facilitate these, the onus lies with the users/learners. In this post, I am going to explore six key requirements necessary from an organizational and leadership standpoints to make collaborative and emergent learning work.

Six Obstacles to Building Communities in Organizations

ID Reflections

Rachel Happe begins her latest post, 10 Trends for the Future of Communities , with a comprehensive description of the various intersecting and intermingling streams and characteristics that inform communities, and I am quoting her below: Communities sit at the intersection of a number of trends; social media, digital transformation, a generational shift to prioritize purposeful work, the future of work, change management, leadership and social learning.

4 Key Emerging Trends in LMS

Upside Learning

Cloud computing is emerging as an inexpensive, quick and efficient way of delivering training through LMS. The PLE that would know learners’ interests and gaps in knowledge and skills and proactively suggest new information, courses, social communities and network for consideration. (I More than 2 years back, I had carried out a SWOT analysis of the LMS to get some understanding on the LMS scenario.

Training Reduces Risk for Emergency Responders

dVinci Interactive

VFIS is the largest emergency service insurance provider in North America. From the beginning, VFIS has been committed to education, training and management consulting to help the emergency service community. It is challenging for volunteer emergency responders to find common times for education and training. Over the years, they have established a network of highly experienced emergency responders who are effective delivering training on-site.

Community Learning—Your Business Skills Can Help Emerging Leaders

KnowledgeCity

When it comes to finding a mentor, many are turning to online communities for help with their career paths. Community learning has been gaining recognition and facilitating a more pragmatic choice-based form of learning. Community learning allows for many mentors to weigh in on topics, as well as offer advice and encouragement to help others make good decisions, how to follow the right path, and stay motivated. Employing Your Skills for the Community.

Personal Learning Networks: For Ongoing Learning in a Connected World

ID Reflections

The four topics we are planning to deep dive into in the first two weeks are: a) Networked learning, b) Personal Learning Networks, c) MOOCs, and d) Communities of Inquiry. Here''s a list of related posts on learning in a networked world. Learning networks are based on the theory of Connectivism, or learning from diverse social webs. We have moved from an age of best practices to emerging practices and no one can be intelligent on their own any more.

The Top Six Things Organizations Must Do to Enable Emergent Learning

Learnnovators

MOOCs which straddle the line between social learning and e-learning with learner communities. This is leading to a shift in the role of the L&D department – from managers and disseminators of formally designed programs to facilitators and enablers of collaboration and communities. In this post, I am going to explore six key requirements necessary from an organizational and leadership standpoints to make collaborative and emergent learning work.

21 top elearning communities

Sponge UK

These are the places to share knowledge, ask questions or network with your L&D peers. Join thousands of other L&D professionals who are learning from each other in these elearning communities. Elearning network. eLearning Global Network. Moodle community. Adapt community. There are some great opportunities online for L&D professionals to build their networks and discuss their challenges with their peers. 4 Elearning network.

WARNING, social netWORK AHEAD

Learning Cafe

Posts such as ‘ You ready to fail at social networking ’ and the excellent post from Jeevan Joshi ’4 reasons why employee social learning will fail at work ‘, have really made me think and reflect on the hype surrounding social business and more specifically the rise of social networks / communities within the work environment. Blended & Learning Tech Effective Learning L&D Capability Learning Trends collaboration community social networks

Recommended Reading Summary: A Chapter of “Emerging Technologies for the Classroom”

Adobe Captivate

Chapter 9: “ Like, Comment, Share: Collaboration and Civic Engagement Within Social Network Sites ,” by Greenhow and Lee, in Emerging Technologies for the Classroom: A Learning Sciences Perspective. Social media and social networking sites allow individuals and groups to collaborate and learn together. It encourages civic engagement in broader communities of practice.

Re-imagining Work & Learning in a Networked World

ID Reflections

IMHO, the shifts and their impact delineated above will enforce and require collaboration -- between individuals, among organizations, between individuals and organizations, among project teams and communities of practices, and such. We know that training is not enough and employees cannot be trained for skills that are still emergent. Thus distributed organizations can stay connected via communities and build an identity as well as generate a sense of purpose.

Communities and connections

Learning with 'e's

I told my audience at the outset that I would not attempt to educate them, because they are far too sophisticated and knowledgeable community of experts and professionals. Before this, I presented some of my thinking around new theories and emerging pedagogies that leverage to power and potential of networked technologies, and spoke about the personal devices students use and how they might be incorporated into every day teaching and learning. Photo by Airina Volungevi?ien?

Social networking is king

E-Learning Provocateur

In my previous article , I explored one of the principles to emerge from the recent AMPLIFY09 festival, namely “Everything big started small&#. Another principle that resonated with me was, in my own words: Social networking is king. Social networking has been around since the dawn of time. Fast forward to today, and Fisk-A-Teers has taken the US scrapbooking community by storm. Tags: conference social networking AMP e-learning enterprise 2.0

Creating Successful Online Courses with Emerging Technologies

DigitalChalk eLearning

This platform can encourage the students to put on a professional profile, network in their area, and join discussions on various professional topics. I encourage students to network professionally as this is important to understand how to network online in the e-learning environment. Emerging technology is offering a shift in what we can do in e-learning. While at the school Dr. Ducharme was very involved with the community.

Networked pedagogy

Learning with 'e's

New theories for the networked, digital age, emerging cultures of learning and a hyper-connected and networked society. Differentials between academic practices, and the variety of roles we adopt within communities of practice and learning. The future of education and the potential impact of new and emerging technologies. academic practice communities of learning education flipped classroom learning MOOCs podcast rhizomatic learning Technology

Enterprise Community Management: “joining up” learning and working

Jane Hart

More and more organisations are beginning to adopt enterprise social networking technologies (like Yammer) more formally as business tools, so there is a growing need for a dedicated resource to manage and support this activity – not technically but in human terms. planning the new community’s strategic approach. supporting individuals as they build and maintain communities of practice and other interest groups.

Sahana Chattopadhyay – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

ABOUT SAHANA CHATTOPADHYAY (Social Learning & Collaboration Strategist, Performance Consultant Exploring Emergent Learning, Blogger). Her work with various companies like Tata Interactive Systems, Zensar Technologies, ThoughtWorks and Future Group has given her a width of experience that spans instructional design, workplace learning strategy, knowledge management, social learning and community management, and people development. Sahana: A community manager’s task is varied.

PKM 149

Networking the future #EDEN15

Learning with 'e's

Audrey Watters and Maarten de Laat at EDEN Maarten de Laat's keynote speech at EDEN 2015 contained all of the ingredients for thoughtful and reflective consideration of how we now teach and how students now learn in an increasingly networked society. A professor at the Dutch Open University, Maarten de Laat researches into networked learning and the use of digital media in education. Teachers need active networks of learning to make the leap to new forms of learning.

Web 2.0 Tools, Networks and Community (Individuals vs. Collective)

Tony Karrer

Nancy just created a post out of an article and presentation that I had linked to before: Full Circle Online Interaction Blog: Blogs and Community - launching a new paradigm for online community? Traditional online community mechanisms (email lists, groups) are joined by a wide variety of publishing mechanisms (blogs, social bookmarking, wikis, flickr, etc.) This suggests we are redefining community. Who are the people in my network?

Everything’s Coming Up Networks (except learning)

Jay Cross

Sloan Management Review has a great interview with Andy McAfee on What Sells CEOs on Social Networking. ” They understand the power of weak ties in enterprise social networks. Sure, there are fears of losing control, the fact that hierarchy and social networks are not comfortable bedfellows, and the inevitable paradigm drag. Social networks are so patently good for business that managers are routing around IT to put them in place. Networks were made for learning.

Networks and Topic Hubs

Tony Karrer

I recently read a very interesting post by Terry Anderson, Edublogers as a Network of Practice. Network of Practice - a distributed aggregation of members who share some common interests and values, but their correspondence and especially face to face meetings occur much less often or not at all. Leadership and activities in a NoP are emergent and usually informal. The realization I had as I read it is how complex networks become.

The dynamics of managing/nurturing networks of practice

Joitske Hulsebosch eLearning

Keeping the Wheels Turning: The Dynamics of Managing Networks of Practice. Journal of Management Studies, 47(1), 85-108 The authors make a distinction between NoPs and CoPs; networks of practice and communities of practice. I would not make that distinction, because the closeness between members does not depend on distance, people can really feel part of and identify with a community of practitioners who are based in different location all over the globe.

Learning Communities List

Tony Karrer

As we are wrapping up the week for Learn Trends , one of the questions we faced was what to do with the Ning community that sprung up to support the conference. The discussion today suggested that it would be nice if there were a way to transfer the connections being made during the conference out to other networks or learning communities. But the issue of other learning communities was raised. Some subgroups emerging.

Podcast 30: Learning From Customer Conferences – With Tristan Jordan and Tara Pawlak of Community Brands

Talented Learning

EPISODE 30 – TOPIC SUMMARY AND GUESTS: Today I’m thrilled to welcome two executives from Community Brands – EVP and General Manager, Tristan Jordan , and Director of Marketing, Tara Pawlak. What insights emerged from this event? Community conferences are a powerful way to build a brand – strengthening relationships while you celebrate customer successes and explore common challenges. Q&A HIGHLIGHTS: JOHN: First, maybe we should introduce Community Brands.

Helping Women Get Their Groove Back by Building Communities and Strong Support Networks from Rural Areas with Rebecca Undem

LifterLMS

Helping women get their groove back by building communities and strong support networks from rural areas with Rebecca Undem in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Chris and Rebecca discuss many topics relevant to course creators, such as community building and how to overcome the isolation faced by many online entrepreneurs. Rebecca grew up in a small farming community in North Dakota with a population of 1,800 people.

Social Learning vs. Communities of Practice

Janet Clarey

When it comes to the terms “Social Learning” and “Communities of Practice”, many people in the corporate learning realm are confused, myself included. We think we know what these mean one day, and then the next day a new theory or idea emerges that turns the whole idea of each upside down and inside out. Are Social Learning and Communities of Practice different? Communities of Practice.

Emerging Cultures

Learning with e's

Here's the second extract from the introduction to the forthcoming Book 'Connected Minds, Emerging Cultures', which will be published later this year by Information Age Publishers, Connecticut, USA. In chapter 6 Steve Wheeler takes the reader on a journey through the various digital tribes and virtual clans he believes are emerging due to intensive and sustained use of new technologies.

Skills for the Networked World

ID Reflections

by Dion Hinchcliffe As I read through and attempted to distil and synthesize what various experts were saying, the following higher order skills and abilities emerged as critical: Meta-Cognition Metacognition is defined as "cognition about cognition", or "knowing about knowing". …it However, in the context of complex and emergent challenges, having a cognitively diverse set of individuals working on it trumps narrow expertise.

Building Communities – The Slope of Enlightenment

Learning Cafe

In my last blog alter egos I started to share some personal traits and experiences that led me in to the world of developing communities to support learning. I remember joining my first online community The Learning and Skills Group and being excited about what was happening in front of my eyes and like any newbie I lurked. To a degree it did, I set the network up and created a discussion and blog area and added some groups and a photo area.

A beachhead for learning – Learning Conversation with Helen Zwicker, CEO Kiama Community College

Learning Cafe

We talk to Helen Zwicker, the Executive Officer of the Kiama Community College Inc. Kiama Community College Inc is a not-for-profit, volunteer managed, community based Registered Training Organisation. Jeevan: It is my pleasure to be interviewing Helen Zwicker, the CEO of Kiama Community College. Jeevan: Tell us your role as the EO of Kiama Community College and the services it provided. Our Community College provides a really broad range of services.

Building Communities – The Slope of Enlightenment

Learning Cafe

In my last blog alter egos I started to share some personal traits and experiences that led me in to the world of developing communities to support learning. I remember joining my first online community The Learning and Skills Group and being excited about what was happening in front of my eyes and like any newbie I lurked. To a degree it did, I set the network up and created a discussion and blog area and added some groups and a photo area.