Learning And Social Networks

Upside Learning

Google Plus is making waves among technology savvy social networkers. Unlike Facebook or Twitter where one accesses the ‘firehose’ of data that one subscribes to and is dependent on the Friends/Following, and where users mostly use features like groups/lists etc to sort out noise from the stream, Plus uses a different approach and lets users create ‘circles’ that allow them to separate streams. Providing a sense of community and common purpose.

WARNING, social netWORK AHEAD

Learning Cafe

I’ve been reading with interest recent articles and blog posts proclaiming that social practices won’t work in the enterprise. Posts such as ‘ You ready to fail at social networking ’ and the excellent post from Jeevan Joshi ’4 reasons why employee social learning will fail at work ‘, have really made me think and reflect on the hype surrounding social business and more specifically the rise of social networks / communities within the work environment.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Social networking is king

E-Learning Provocateur

In my previous article , I explored one of the principles to emerge from the recent AMPLIFY09 festival, namely “Everything big started small&#. Another principle that resonated with me was, in my own words: Social networking is king. Social networking has been around since the dawn of time. However, the exponential growth of online platforms such as Facebook and Twitter has taken it to a whole new stratosphere.

Organizations as Communities - Part 1

ID Reflections

This is not merely about implementing a few collaboration tools or putting in place an Enterprise Social Network (ESN) with the diktat to “collaborate”. Organizations have to integrate the power of design thinking and emergent technology to create spaces where everyone can bring in their fullest potential and authentic selves. As the world becomes increasingly connected and networked, it calls for organizations that are equally connected, decentralized and self-organizing.

Developing a Results Driven Curriculum

XYZ Fire Association is a network of. fire chiefs, emergency officers, and. Through their network, they identified a. to give back to the community. largest brands including DropBox, Facebook, BP and Credit Suisse transform. Developing a. Results-Driven. Curriculum.

Recommended Reading Summary: A Chapter of “Emerging Technologies for the Classroom”

Adobe Captivate

Chapter 9: “ Like, Comment, Share: Collaboration and Civic Engagement Within Social Network Sites ,” by Greenhow and Lee, in Emerging Technologies for the Classroom: A Learning Sciences Perspective. Social media and social networking sites allow individuals and groups to collaborate and learn together. Social media has a different impact on the learning experience, compared to technology that is often utilized in the learning environment.

e-Clippings (Learning As Art): "Object-Centered Sociality" or What is Really at the Heart of Social Networks

Mark Oehlert

e-Clippings (Learning As Art) Home Archives Subscribe About My Social Networks « "A Technology Flip Test: Introducing Channels in a World of Platforms" (Andrew McAfee) | Main | The Pentagon Channel - Embracing Video Big Time » September 01, 2007 "Object-Centered Sociality" or What is Really at the Heart of Social Networks I couldve sworn I had posted about this before but I cant find it.but talk about old.the spur for this post is from 2005!

How to Use Enterprise Social Networks to On-Board New Employees

Mindflash

One important way organizations can do this is to help new people “adjust” or “socialize” into the new organization. Organizational socialization goes back a long way, and includes fundamentals like helping new employees with role clarity, confidence in their ability to perform the work, social acceptance, and knowledge of how to navigate the organization. Enterprise social networks are certainly not a silver bullet.

Six Obstacles to Building Communities in Organizations

ID Reflections

Rachel Happe begins her latest post, 10 Trends for the Future of Communities , with a comprehensive description of the various intersecting and intermingling streams and characteristics that inform communities, and I am quoting her below: Communities sit at the intersection of a number of trends; social media, digital transformation, a generational shift to prioritize purposeful work, the future of work, change management, leadership and social learning.

4 Key Emerging Trends in LMS

Upside Learning

Today, after the rapid evolution of the LMS – hastened by several factors, right from the inclusion of social learning tools, to an ever increasing need for usability – many things have changed, and still continue to change, in the LMS. Cloud computing is emerging as an inexpensive, quick and efficient way of delivering training through LMS. More than 2 years back, I had carried out a SWOT analysis of the LMS to get some understanding on the LMS scenario.

JOHN HINCHLIFFE – CRYSTAL BALLING WITH LEARNNOVATORS

Learnnovators

He also is the founder of the Global Learning and Development Community (GLDC) , and has served on the Board of Directors for the eLearning Network. It comprises stimulating discussions with industry experts and product evangelists on emerging trends in the learning landscape.

Jakob Nielsen on social networks on the intranet

Clive on Learning

technologies — unless ‘thinking about social software’ is considered progress. That could explain why, in our studies, successful social media initiatives at many companies emerged from underground, grassroots efforts." Companies are turning a blind eye to underground social software efforts until they prove their worth, and then sanctioning them within the enterprise." " "Widespread use of internal social media breaks down communication barriers.

Sahana Chattopadhyay – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

ABOUT SAHANA CHATTOPADHYAY (Social Learning & Collaboration Strategist, Performance Consultant Exploring Emergent Learning, Blogger). Her passion is to help organizations become learning organizations through social and collaborative learning. This includes areas of her expertise from the effectiveness of MOOCs in corporate learning to informal learning, collaboration, community management and organizational culture. Sahana: A community manager’s task is varied.

PKM 151

21 top elearning communities

Sponge UK

These are the places to share knowledge, ask questions or network with your L&D peers. Join thousands of other L&D professionals who are learning from each other in these elearning communities. Elearning network. LinkedIn. eLearning Global Network. LinkedIn. LinkedIn. Moodle community. Adapt community. LinkedIn. LinkedIn. Join in the discussion with a Community of thousands of HR and L&D Professionals”.

Enterprise Community Management: “joining up” learning and working

Jane Hart

More and more organisations are beginning to adopt enterprise social networking technologies (like Yammer) more formally as business tools, so there is a growing need for a dedicated resource to manage and support this activity – not technically but in human terms. integrating all social and collaborative initiatives into a common platform. planning the new community’s strategic approach. Social learning

Creating Successful Online Courses with Emerging Technologies

DigitalChalk eLearning

We decided we needed to fish were the fish were and start integrating in social media into the e-learning environment. One example of this is secret Facebook groups to encourage students to create a substantial discussion on the subject being taught. As a DigitalChalk user, I find that integrating other modalities of social media, is helpful to the students and creates a more full e-learning experience for the student as well.

How Social Learning is Powering Up Today’s Workplaces

Learnnovators

” – Albert Bandura (Originator of Social Learning Theory). “ We’re still seeing an avoidance of social learning, the continual use of courses as the only solution, and consequently organizations that can’t adapt fast enough.” – Clark Quinn. We, at Learnnovators, have always been fascinated by the enormous power of social learning, and have been following up researches and discussions by experts around this subject closely for some time now. THE QUOTE.

UpsideLMS Is One Of The Five Emerging Learning Managements To Watch!

Upside Learning

I am pleased to share that our flagship and award-winning Learning Management System, UpsideLMS , has been named as one of the “Five Emerging Learning Management Systems (LMSs) to Watch&# by Brandon Hall, chairman of Brandon Hall Research in Chief Learning Officer magazine’s July 2010 edition. UpsideLMS is a fully-featured social learning management system offering integrated support for formal and informal learning.

HOW SOCIAL LEARNING IS POWERING UP TODAY’S WORKPLACES

Learnnovators

Fortunately, most human behaviour is learned observationally through modelling; from observing others one forms an idea of how new behaviours are performed, and on later occasions this coded information serves as a guide for action.” – Albert Bandura (Originator of Social Learning Theory) “ The research isn’t heartening. Some of the questions we had in mind were: What benefits does social learning offer to workplaces of today? How will social learning evolve in the coming years?

Podcast 30: Learning From Customer Conferences – With Tristan Jordan and Tara Pawlak of Community Brands

Talented Learning

EPISODE 30 – TOPIC SUMMARY AND GUESTS: Today I’m thrilled to welcome two executives from Community Brands – EVP and General Manager, Tristan Jordan , and Director of Marketing, Tara Pawlak. What insights emerged from this event? Community conferences are a powerful way to build a brand – strengthening relationships while you celebrate customer successes and explore common challenges. Q&A HIGHLIGHTS: JOHN: First, maybe we should introduce Community Brands.

The most updated and informative e-Learning community on Twitter

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 11/28/2010 The most updated and informative e-Learning community on Twitter On Twitter exists a resourceful community of e-Learning professionals. During the last 2 years I was able to exchange ideas, share thoughts, and learn from this community of practice. social learning - experimentação.

The LMS and SNS – A Fine Balance

Upside Learning

That the LMS needs to incorporate social learning elements is no longer a point of debate but both a question of survival for the LMS itself and also a test of how the LMS handles the balance of both the elements of training and the ‘networkedness’ of the social learning. We’ve been hearing of experts commenting that LMSs today don’t come with appropriate social media technology built in. The system is geared to offer the human face required for social interactions.

LMS 168

Developing Leaders in the Facebook Age

CLO Magazine

The impact of social media has complicated matters. How we connect — in person, through blogs, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, or through other methods of online collaboration — says more about us than we may realize. To develop leaders in the Facebook era requires that learning professionals create offerings to enable the proper mix of all these ingredients as well as help to ensure leaders can connect through multiple mediums.

Learning Communities List

Tony Karrer

As we are wrapping up the week for Learn Trends , one of the questions we faced was what to do with the Ning community that sprung up to support the conference. The discussion today suggested that it would be nice if there were a way to transfer the connections being made during the conference out to other networks or learning communities. I would highly encourage everyone who I connected with during the conference to connect to me on LinkedIn. Some subgroups emerging.

Social Learning vs. Communities of Practice

Janet Clarey

When it comes to the terms “Social Learning” and “Communities of Practice”, many people in the corporate learning realm are confused, myself included. We think we know what these mean one day, and then the next day a new theory or idea emerges that turns the whole idea of each upside down and inside out. Are Social Learning and Communities of Practice different? Social Learning. Social Learning is more focused on the needs of the individual.

27 Books for L&D Folks.

ID Reflections

Some of the might seem out of place in a list for L&D folks, but I think it is important to read around a subject to understand the context, and the emerging patterns. 5 Workplace Learning/Training Social Media for Trainers Jane Bozarth. 6 Knowledge Management Cultivating Communities of Practice Etienne Wegner, et al. 25 Network/Web 2.0 26 Network/Web 2.0 The Social Media Cigarette Break (internettime.posterous.com).

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Using FaceBook

Learning Visions

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 Using FaceBook Im trying to expand my horizons a bit these days and have been taking a closer look at a whole bunch of tools out there, including SecondLife and FaceBook. FaceBook seems like such a student-world application, and yet folks say more and more "grown-ups" are using it. There was a great NYTimes article a few weeks ago about a mom signing up for a FaceBook account, completely appalling her teenage daughter. (Id

Work Out Loud – Don’t Just Share What You Did

Nick Leffler

Today is the final day of my four-day journey to cover my thoughts on this week’s topics for the online cMOOC Exploring Innovations in Networked Work and Learning. I’ve already covered the wonderful topics of crowdsourcing , idea management and design and yesterday’s communities of practice. Nobody wants or needs to see the mess that is created, just the final beautiful finished product that emerges from the kitchen.

Building Communities – The Slope of Enlightenment

Learning Cafe

In my last blog alter egos I started to share some personal traits and experiences that led me in to the world of developing communities to support learning. I remember joining my first online community The Learning and Skills Group and being excited about what was happening in front of my eyes and like any newbie I lurked. To a degree it did, I set the network up and created a discussion and blog area and added some groups and a photo area.

A beachhead for learning – Learning Conversation with Helen Zwicker, CEO Kiama Community College

Learning Cafe

We talk to Helen Zwicker, the Executive Officer of the Kiama Community College Inc. Kiama Community College Inc is a not-for-profit, volunteer managed, community based Registered Training Organisation. Jeevan: It is my pleasure to be interviewing Helen Zwicker, the CEO of Kiama Community College. Jeevan: Tell us your role as the EO of Kiama Community College and the services it provided. Our Community College provides a really broad range of services.

Seven Technology-Enabled Tools that Empower the Modern Corporate Trainer

G-Cube

It can support development of communities of like-minded learners and help the trainer meet learners where they are – as per emerging and evolving needs. Social Networking Sites. There are many popular social networking sites available which provide an opportunity for learners and trainers to connect and learn together. It encourages learners to speak out more and share their views in the social space.

Building Communities – The Slope of Enlightenment

Learning Cafe

In my last blog alter egos I started to share some personal traits and experiences that led me in to the world of developing communities to support learning. I remember joining my first online community The Learning and Skills Group and being excited about what was happening in front of my eyes and like any newbie I lurked. To a degree it did, I set the network up and created a discussion and blog area and added some groups and a photo area.

Addressing On-Demand Learning and Performance Needs #LCBQ | Social.

Dashe & Thomson

Social Learning Blog Training and Performance Improvement in the Real World Home About Bios Subscribe to RSS Addressing On-Demand Learning and Performance Needs #LCBQ by Andrea on May 9, 2011 in performance support Each month, Tony Karrer at The Learning Circuits Blog posts a “Big Question&# for the learning and development community (Twitter hashtag #LCBQ). The questions prompt quite a lively and interesting discussion among online community members.

Selling Learning Communities – Not Everyone Will or Wants a Group Hug

Tony Karrer

Jack Merklein from Xerox Global Services did a really great presentation at LearnTrends 2009 entitled - Common tools for Diverse Communities at Xerox Global Services. Jack is responsible for the development, care and tools for learning communities and knowledge sharing initiatives. In practice this means a lot of different things and across many different learning communities. Instead, it focused on Jack’s no nonsense ability to make communities an effect part of learning.

Back to #EDEN

Learning with 'e's

Image from Pixabay EDEN - the European Distance and E-learning Network - is my spiritual home. It's a professional community of educators interested in technology supported learning. Let me list just a few: Smart phones and other mobile technologies such as e-readers; social media and social networks; touch-screen technologies; Web 2.0; Where is EDEN, you may ask? It's everywhere.

Web 2.0 Tools, Networks and Community (Individuals vs. Collective)

Tony Karrer

Nancy just created a post out of an article and presentation that I had linked to before: Full Circle Online Interaction Blog: Blogs and Community - launching a new paradigm for online community? Traditional online community mechanisms (email lists, groups) are joined by a wide variety of publishing mechanisms (blogs, social bookmarking, wikis, flickr, etc.) This suggests we are redefining community. links, flickr images, 43Things goals, LinkedIn contacts, etc.,

The tribal web

Learning with 'e's

The tribes and clans I have identified, it could be argued, are emerging as a direct result of their sustained interaction with, and through, social technologies. When observed in its entirety however, the trails of evidence emerging on the Web can readily support the notion of the virtual clan. Individuals have an inherent need to belong, so groupings will occur naturally in the real world, in families, kinship groups, clans and other social collectives.

Web 29

My History of Live Blogged Notes

Experiencing eLearning

Social Networking, the “Third Place,” and the Evolution of Communication. Social Bookmarking to Support Professional Practice. Learning Communities. Wikis & Emerging Web 2.0 E-Learning Communities. Wikis that Work: Effective Wiki Practices for Virtual Learning Communities. Evaluating Social Networking Tools for Distance Learning. What can Educators Learn from Online Religious Communities?

Marc My Words: LinkedIn and Lynda—Perfect Together? by Marc Rosenberg

Learning Solutions Magazine

LinkedIn, the online social media giant that focuses primarily on professional career development, communities, and. networks, has acquired Lynda.com, an online eLearning provider that focuses on skill building. Design & Development Tools Emerging Topics Management Training StrategiesWill this marriage work from. a learning perspective? Here is an examination of that question, from the point of view of eLearning managers.

Virtual clans

Learning with 'e's

Another example is the social networking tribe which boasts many clans, such as the WhatsApp clan, the Instagram clan, the YouTube clan and so on. One particularly interesting comparison can be made between the users of Flickr and Facebook. By contrast, Facebookers identify themselves using real names and photographs, and coalesce around groups with common interests that are wider than photographs. They yet remain a part of the larger social mass of the tribe.