LearnTrends: Personal Knowledge Management

Experiencing eLearning

These are my live blogged notes from Harold Jarche’s LearnTrends session on Personal Knowledge Management. PKM is a set of problem-solving skills for work, focused on getting things done but not necessarily task focused. More important advances in the future will be our advances in dealing with information & problem solving, not in computer technology ( he was quoting someone–didn’t catch who, and this is only a paraphrase ).

From Learning Management to Personal Knowledge Management

Jane Hart

But in fact it has been clear for some time that many individuals are already taking responsibility for not only acquiring new knowledge and skills but for a wide range of activities for their continuous learning and professional development.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Knowledge Management vs. Knowledge Creation

The Performance Improvement Blog

Knowledge Management) have failed to advance learning. They write: The best KM systems succeeded at capturing and institutionalizing the knowledge of the firm. The folks with the knowledge were often reluctant to put what they knew into the database. The folks seeking the knowledge often had trouble finding what they needed.   Its community of advanced gamers helps each player get through to the next WoW challenge. Is KM dead?

Social Technology, Community Management & Organizational Development

Learnnovators

Read the post, How Social Technology has Emerged as an Enterprise Management Model , for an in-depth understanding. I am not going to tread into management theory or organizational structures in this post. Standardization, efficiency, processes, supervisory management, planning, etc.,

5 Knowledge Management Tools to Consider

WalkMe Training Station

Knowledge management usually involves storing, organizing and sharing crucial information, so that every individual in the organization together with its customers can greatly benefit from its use. Rather, adequate knowledge builds upon the necessary data and information to offer a context and ultimately helps in improving employee performance. The Most important Knowledge Management Tools. Novo Knowledge-Base Software.

Knowledge Management Core Issues

Tony Karrer

Great post by Denham Grey - Perennial KM issues that are very similar to the core problems that we deal with in eLearning: How to speed learning, increase awareness and share experiences. With an ever deceasing half-life of knowledge , just keeping up has become a major corporate imperative. Discovering opportunities and gaps in knowledge flows, improving personal networking and finding experts (in larger firms).

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

What makes knowledge so hard to capture? The tricky tacit and explicit knowledge sharing. In this article, we will define knowledge and how using your LMS, you can share tacit and explicit knowledge using some knowledge management strategies.

KM 65

eLearning Content Development: 6 Steps to Create a Learning Problem Statement

TalentLMS

Before plunging into an eLearning course development process with your team, spend some time developing a formal problem statement. Let’s determine the research-worthiness of a problem and the steps to create a clear learning problem statement.

7 Strategies to Facilitate “Working Out Loud”

Learnnovators

The more I thought about it, the more it seemed to me that it is one of the fundamental blocks of building a community of practice. A community grows around a domain where practitioners share their insights, knowledge and doubts, the work processes.

Taking Stock and Making Choices: Working from home and other such stuff

ID Reflections

It’s eventually what makes us all more humans… But I have a problem. Work —complex knowledge work requires solitude as well as collaboration. Ever since I started working primarily from home, I realized (even more so than before) the importance of online communities—within my organization and without. Without the support of various online communities, I doubt if I would have had the fortitude or the skills required to do my work effectively.

Stock 116

Trust, Tacit Knowledge and Social Business

ID Reflections

As I read the post on Resolvingthe Trust Paradox by John Hagel, I was reminded of two things—the talk on the power of vulnerability by Brene Brown and what Morten Hansen says about tacit knowledge sharing in hisbook Collaboration:How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Create Unity, and Reap Big Results. I hadwritten about the latter in my post Molotovcocktail = Weak ties x complicated knowledge. social_business tacit Knowledge Management Tacit knowledge Knowledge Flow John Hagel

Trust 136

Quotes and excerpts on the need for Learning 2.0 from the Best of T+D: 2007-2009

ID Reflections

Excerpts from the Best of T+D | 2007 - 2009 Harold Jarche in Skills 2.0 : As knowledge workers, we are like actors--only as good as our last performance. Shaffer in How Computer Games Help Children Learn (quoted by Harold Jarche in T+D) Creativity is a conversation--a tension--between individuals working on individual problems, and the professional communities they belong to. In a knowledge economy, the individual is the knowledge creator, and relationships are the currency.

I Believe in the Importance of a Personal Learning Network

Tom Spiglanin

Still others were from the perspective of the educational community and how PLNs can replace formal education. There was even one prominent source that described a PLN as a community of practice, which it clearly is not. Community I Believe Informal Learning Social Learning

Becoming a Social Business – Beyond Culture Change

Learnnovators

The German word Weltanschauung —used to represent the mode of apprehending reality of a community—was first used by Kant and later popularized by Hegel. Weltanschauung represents the collective consciousness of a community of a certain experience. No matter how hard we try to change the culture – and I do believe that leaders and managers are trying – the discourse we use lets us down. The discourse of communities doesn’t and cannot hinge on and around scarcity.

L&D's New Hatrack

ID Reflections

Know how to build one''s PLN Workplace challenges are increasingly going to be unique requiring skills like analysis, problem solving, learning agility, adaptability, pattern sensing and exception handling; therefore, instilling the skills of “learning how to learn” is of paramount importance.

PKM 142

At the edge

Clark Quinn

Communities of Practice served as a model for this thinking. This included and Enterprise Social Network and a Knowledge Management system. The problem was too much hierarchy. The issue was solving workplace problems.

195 posts about MOOCs

Jay Cross

From Learning Management to Personal Knowledge Management. Acquiring new knowledge and skills – e.g. in webinars, online workshops, MOOCs , and through videos and screencasts, etc. “If Knowledge Transfer STEPHEN DOWNES: HALF AN HOUR | FRIDAY, JULY 1, 2011.

OER 95

12 features of supporting social collaboration in the workplace

Jane Hart

1 – moving from a focus on organising and managing training (which includes e-learning and blended learning) FOR others, to helping individuals and teams address their OWN performance problems. Want to find out more Online Communities ?

Retaining Your Company’s Knowledge through eLearning

TalentLMS

By now, what we call the “2020 Information Age”, knowledge has become an asset. Immeasurable And all the while you thought, your eLearning efforts had been enough to generate “knowledge” within your company to coax in enough ROI, the much anticipated green bills. Knowledge.

Maximize Workforce Performance with an LMS

TOPYX LMS

In your opinion, what is a social learning management system (LMS) good for? If a company is struggling to meet its goals, leaders should treat the problem at the source by enabling employees to perform at their highest level. Knowledge and skill pools.

L&D’s Role In A Purpose Driven Workplace

Learnnovators

I have been writing about the shifts required by L&D to meet the connected and collaborative knowledge economy for some time now. Role of Community Management in Workplace Learning Today. Take the Linux community for example.

Roles 164

Contest - Win a Free Copy of Digital Habitats via LearnTrends 2009

Tony Karrer

Nancy has been my go to person for all things Communities and Networks and worked with me to create Communities and Networks Connection. So naturally when Nancy and John (with Etienne Wenger) put out the book Digital Habitats; Stewarding Technology for Communities I was very excited.

20 ways to prepare yourself for modern workplace learning

Jane Hart

You have been an active participant in a number of online communities and understand the activities involved in of community management and what makes a good community manager. L&D can better manage or support the management of organisational communities. L&D can help to develop effective personal learning/knowledge management skills in their people. DEAL WITH PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS.

The Changing Face of Work and Workplace Learning

ID Reflections

Communities of professionals collaborating and cooperating to learn together will be on the rise. Content will be continuously co-created and co-owned by the community members ( much like the evolution of Wikipedia ). I am not the kind to crystal gaze.

Change 240

The Changing Face of Work and Workplace Learning

Learnnovators

Communities of professionals collaborating and cooperating to learn together will be on the rise. Content will be continuously co-created and co-owned by the community members ( much like the evolution of Wikipedia ). I am not the kind to crystal gaze.

IBM 203

Building a Learning and Performance Support Ecosystem (Steve Foreman) #elguild

Learning Visions

There''s formal training -- and then there''s all of the ways that we learn within the flow of work (performance support, collaboration, access to experts, knowledge management. access to experts (consult) knowledge management (research) performance support (perform) talent management (advance) structured learning (train) social networking and collage (share) Let''s walk through ''em now: Talent Management: people have competencies, they need them, jobs requirement them.

The differences between learning in an e-business and learning in a social business

Jane Hart

A Social Business is one that embraces and cultivates a spirit of collaboration and community throughout its organization—both internally and externally.”. knowledge sharing. Management. Supporting Personal Knowledge Management: tools, techniques, skills and behaviours.

MOOCs In Workplace Learning – Part 1: Some Points To Consider

Learnnovators

This will provide the employees with an opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge in their areas of interest beyond the purview of their current roles thus equipping them with new skills, a critical aspect of professional development. However, communities don’t form by themselves.

Personal Learning Networks: For Ongoing Learning in a Connected World

ID Reflections

The four topics we are planning to deep dive into in the first two weeks are: a) Networked learning, b) Personal Learning Networks, c) MOOCs, and d) Communities of Inquiry. I would also like to emphasize that PLN is intricately linked to one''s personal knowledge management (PKM) capabilities.

Supporting self-managed team learning in the organisation

Jane Hart

But what these both have in common is that they are still a “ managed learning ” process. In this and my next post I am going to look at self-managed learning in an organization, and how that might be supported and scaffolded.

Teams 284

Workplace Learning in a World “Beyond Automation”

Learnnovators

The table below captures the shifts as I see it: I have been writing about social and collaborative learning, the importance of communities of practices and networked learning skills like building one’s PLN and PKM for some time now.

Is it time for a BYOL (Bring Your Own Learning) strategy in your organization? #BYOL

Jane Hart

An increasing number of the workforce – smart, social, autonomous workers – are already doing their own thing and solving their own learning and performance problems much more quickly and more easily by using their own tools and devices. (In

Demystifying Working Out Loud

Learnnovators

Working out loud has been steadily gaining popularity and has become a topic of conversation on many forums including the Facebook community of the same name. A process to be mandated by management/supervisors/organizations with defined rules.

What is social learning and how can you use it to foster collaborative learning

Learning Wire

According to this, most of us pick: 70 percent of our knowledge from our on-the job experiences. The key being, how we use this meaningfully to encourage exchange of ideas and knowledge sharing. Developing a community.

Easy peasy ways to apply social learning for effective online learning

ProProfs

When it comes to learning in general, maintaining social learning has always been an important part of adopting new information and transforming it into long-term knowledge. In simple words, social presence refers to all the knowledge a person accumulates by watching other people’s behavior.