Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

Extend this to the Subject Matter Experts and popular spokes-person through a defined communication framework and you have a community of practice in action! Tapping into daily conversations of a community of practice will help identify learning gaps (eLearning course topic) and how (eLearning course content) these gaps need to be fulfilled. Knowledge in this wiki is “community managed and owned”. Communities of practice are created by developing explicit knowledge.

KM 63

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

Extend this to the Subject Matter Experts and popular spokes-person through a defined communication framework and you have a community of practice in action! Tapping into daily conversations of a community of practice will help identify learning gaps (eLearning course topic) and how (eLearning course content) these gaps need to be fulfilled. Knowledge in this wiki is “community managed and owned”. Communities of practice are created by developing explicit knowledge.

KM 40
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Lesson I: Making your own Custom Articulate Player | LearnNuggets

NuggetHead

Skip to content Follow: RSS Twitter LearnNuggets Nuggets of Learning Stuff Home About Resources Tags articulate , eLearning , tutorial Lesson I: Making your own Custom Articulate Player by Kevin on May 20th, 2010 To kick things off, a note on the words: “Player” and “Skin”. Some refer to it as the Articulate Presenter Community Player while others refer to it as a Skin. Whatever you choose to call it in the end, you are still developing the “Skin” and the “Player.”

The Angry Birds Community: Social Learning Utopia?

Dashe & Thomson

I’m interested in something more than Angry Birds’ gaming dynamics, though; I’m interested in the Angry Birds community. That means more than 16,000 videos were contributed by members of the Angry Birds Community of Practice. The clear distinction between the Angry Birds community and the average workplace community-of-practice is obvious: the AB folks are making money for producing content.

Social Networking

Tony Karrer

The article tells us that various players are adding social networking features to their sites: A broad array of online players, from major media companies like Viacom to e-commerce providers such as eBay, are adding networking features to their online destinations, letting users create detailed Web identities, connect with people over common interests, share content, and, above all, socialize. Hasn't eBay had social networking features for a long time?

To optimize your learning, optimize your networks

Jay Cross

The Internet Time Alliance has been brainstorming models of learning networks. People cooperate in External Networks to meet a shared goal. Communities in the middle do a bit of both. I rejiggered Harold’s model to suit my own purposes: Conversations are the stem cells of learning, and social networks are the carriers of conversation. These networks operate behind the firewall (e.g., To optimize your learning, optimize your networks.

What 2U’s edX Acquisition Means for Open edX, Appsembler, and Its Customers

Appsembler

2U’s network will now include 19 of the top 20 universities in the world and more than 185 nonprofit colleges and universities, creating the world’s most comprehensive free-to-degree online education marketplace. Blog Business Community Open edX Release

Open 83

Network Effects - Collaboration Curve - MMO Serious Game

Corporate eLearning Strategies and Development

The Informal Learning Blog by Jay Cross exposes the introduction of the collaboration curve to the learning community in this post. Expanding the idea of network effects one step further with the collaboration curve is intriguing to me because it puts a name to an idea that we have all been discussing. I can relate because I am now "playing" WoW WITH someone, AND enjoying the benefits of belonging to a Guild (a group of players).

eLearning Thought Leaders: OpenSesame

eLearning Weekly

eLearning Weekly Interview with Josh Blank, SVP/General Manager, and Tom Turnbull, VP/Community Development at Open Sesame. JB: A SCORM video player. Here’s my favorite final question for our readers who like networking: Where will you be appearing and where can people find your schedule for conferences or events? Interview eLearning eLearning Start Up LMS Open Sesame SCORM Video Player Thought Leaders

Ningcompoops

Jay Cross

This is the email I received today: Hi Ning Network Creator! We’ll be phasing out our free service so we can focus our attention on pleasing our most passionate and successful Network Creators – people like you. We realize that you’ll have a decision to make about how to proceed with your Ning Network and which pricing plan will work best for you, and we are here to help! Full feature set plus video and music uploads and branded players.

Ning 42

How to Easily Create Powerful Customer Education

Spark Your Interest

Including creating expert communities. As well live webinars can also help you develop a sense of community among users. It also signals that you have enough authority with the user community to set de facto industry standards. Customer Education In An Online Community.

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Brent Schlenker: Marketers and Game Developers Know More About Learning Than We Do!

Learning Visions

hosted by Training Magazine Network. ** Disclaimers: “I am not a marketer or a game developer.&# (Although he plays a LOT of games). Brent’s background: What I am: 15+ yr learning professional, lifelong learner, player, consumer. Cammy Beans Learning Visions Musings on eLearning, instructional design and other training stuff. Tuesday, September 22, 2009 Brent Schlenker: Marketers and Game Developers Know More About Learning Than We Do!

Market 100

GBL Picks, Part 4: Curated Game Based Learning Resources

Knowledge Guru

We’re on a mission to educate the Instructional Design community and the decision makers in Training and Development about game based learning and its true potential. So now, without further ado, here are this week’s GBL picks: Pick #1: A New Perspective on the Bartle Player Types for Gamification. His detailed model included 8 types; Griefer, Networker, Politician, Friend, Opportunist, Scientist, Planner and Hacker.

e-Clippings (Learning As Art): Does anyone else see "Student Records" in "Data Portability"?

Mark Oehlert

e-Clippings (Learning As Art) Home Archives Subscribe About My Social Networks « Clay Shirky at Web 2.0 White Paper Solicitation and I came to this section of items that would be valuable to have addressed by submitted white papers: "Collaboration and Community. Learning takes place within a community and is a collaborative activity. 2008 | Main | ahhh.the goood old days of Herding Cats and Building Planes on the Fly.

Creating a Social Learning Epidemic

CLO Magazine

Salesmen are vital to persuading individuals within a network to take advantage of the spheres of influence the connectors have brought to the table. It is imperative that CLOs find these players as seeders for a social workforce — leveraging inherent traits of people rather than assigning actions within a community. Social Workforce community Gladwell social learning social roles social workforce

My E-learning predictions and plans for 2011 #LCBQ

Challenge to Learn

Tony Karrer is the guy behind elearninglearning.com a community where all kinds of blogs about e-Learning are gathered. He also is the blogmeister of the Learning Circuits community. On that community he runs a series of post regarding ‘The big question’ The question of the month is: What are your Predictions and Plans for 2011? We want to make the step from a regional player (The Netherlands, Germany and the UK) to a global player.

Slugs and snails and social enzymes

Learning with e's

Wikis, blogs, podcasts, social bookmarking, RSS feeds, microblogs, social networking. More often, we are learning informally, while playing a massively multi-player online role playing game for example, or listening to a podcast about a news item. The more we lay down these pathways, the more we are building the community of practice that is Web 2.0. Tags: YouTube social networking blog wiki Twitter Web 2.0 Learning has rarely been a solo activity.

Using Games and Gamification for Employee Screening

Kapp Notes

So you do is create a contest where applicants needed to complete a series of challenging problems involving trying to breach various computer systems and networks. The applicants compete for a limited number of spots and need to demonstrate knowledge of network software, creative approaches to firewall breaches and time to breach. So linking a specific skill to a specific behavior on the job to specific action a player takes in a game can become an issue.

Social Learning is Voluntary; Collaboration Platforms are Enablers

ID Reflections

Most organizations (there are exceptions like Buffer, Etsy, and Community Sourced Capital ) see themselves as isolated players in competition with others in the same field. Individuals will get their work done by talking to peers, reaching out to their network, and bringing their #pln and #pkm to work. They build an ecosystem of mutually supportive relationships with and between their stakeholders, so the group as a whole can benefit from interactions across the network.

Open Source LMSs Facts and Insight

eLearning 24-7

The issue there is that the code is usually outdated (unless there is an active community, presented below), and thus, sure you can download and use it, but in some cases, the ‘open source’ freebie is now fee-based, Dokeos and Caroline are two perfect examples. . Active Community.

The Remarkable Journey of Deep Learning

KnowledgeOne

It allows Big Data to be processed using artificial neural networks inspired by the neural network of the human brain. Inspired by the visual cortex of mammals, these networks allow the computer to learn more complex tasks.

Free L&D webinars for January 2021

Limestone Learning

Discover how to effectively network in a physically distanced world. PT: Articulate Storyline: Creating, Saving, and Sharing Custom Players There are many variations in customizing the Player in Articulate Storyline.

Free 99

Elmore’s 4 learning modes

KnowledgeOne

In this quadrant, learning relies on self-organized networks of individuals who share common interests. Alternatively, members of these networks acquire and transmit information according to their respective levels of knowledge and expertise.

7 Ways A Supportive Online Training Culture Improves ROI

G-Cube

One of the best ways to promote lifelong learning and build a thriving learning community is to cultivate an online training culture. As a result of this, your employees have a network of peers that they can turn to when a problem arises. This is all thanks to the fact that everyone understands the mutual benefits of a collaborative online training community. You might also consider hosting monthly webinars to keep everyone updated and build a sense of community.

ROI 159

The Metaverse, NFTs and How E-Learning Will Be Impacted

SmartUp

Players battle each other battle royale style in a 3D-animated, highly colorful cartoon world, where they cumulatively spend millions of dollars yearly on the game as they purchase custom clothing for their characters, otherwise known as “skins” . What Is the Metaverse?

Subject Matter Expert (SME): How to Work With One

eLearningMind

Join online communities and interact with experts virtually. The Power of a SME Network Whether it’s in-house or external, a SME comes in handy when you need to create a technical eLearning course. Therefore, building a network of SMEs is a good investment.

Knowledge Management vs. Knowledge Creation

The Performance Improvement Blog

Its community of advanced gamers helps each player get through to the next WoW challenge. Environments should be developed that link participants to each other and link participants to external networks. Is KM dead? John Hagel III, John Seely Brown, and Lang Davison , all with Deloitte’s Center for the Edge,   argue that passive repositories of organizational information (i.e., Knowledge Management) have failed to advance learning.

Learning on the Job in a SaaS-Driven World

Origin Learning

SaaS is defined as – “A software distribution model in which applications are hosted by a vendor or service provider and made available to customers over a network, typically the Internet.” At one level, when one buys a SaaS based product/service, one gets an inbuilt service manual or guide and support from the product community or forum. How do you distinguish your product from other players in the market?

More Digital Natives

Upside Learning

There’s more talk about Digital natives going around; Jeremiah Owyang blogged from the Corporate Social Networking Conference in Amsterdam. There seems to have been a fair bit of Interesting talk at the conference: “By age 20, kids will have spent 20,000 hours online –the same amount of time a professional piano player would have spent practicing&# - Dr. Urs Gasser. Simply because it has become the focus of some intense discussion in the learning community.

Developing Skills through Gamification

Your Training Edge

Games are compelling and can lead to behavioral manipulation without the player even knowing it. But none the less a board game or the like can also draw players into it as well (it just might not be as immersive). And if we play a game long enough, with a big enough network of players, we feel a part of something bigger than ourselves—part of an epic story, an important project, or a global community.”

The 7 Best Kajabi Alternatives Reviewed for 2021

learnWorlds

This is why we also focus a lot on providing uncompetitive learning features like: A robust built-in social network. Our astonishing course community allows for greater interaction and engagement. Our fantastic course player makes navigation easy from one unit to another.

Introducing WorkLearnMobile– it’s all about mobile

Allison Rossett

As impetus for more and better mobile learning and performance support, they’ve launched WorkLearnMobile– The Mobile Learning Innovation Network. And more to the point, as the NFL season approaches, teams are using iPads to deliver video examples and playbooks to their players. Ideally, soon, it will become a place for conversation and community. Of course, Qualcomm is interested in mobile learning and support.

Mobile 110

Is There a Better Way to Social Learning?

Xyleme

My conversation with George was no exception as we spoke at length about Connectivism , social learning networks, and the future of current learning technologies (LMS, LCMS, etc.) Companies will choose best-of-breed social business software vendors for enterprise social learning deployments, not niche players Below is Gartner’s 2009 Magic Quadrant for Social Software in the Workplace, G00171792 [see note at end of post]. Drupal is called “community plumbing&# for a reason.

Want to boost the development of underrepresented talent? Strengthen CLO, CDO partnerships

CLO Magazine

Companies want to make sure the community knows the work it’s doing to be an inclusive employer to accelerate the attraction of a more diverse workforce. Not only is the role of the chief diversity officer growing and becoming more vital, but it’s evolving at a breakneck speed.

CLO 75

Top 10 Virtual Learning Environments

Ed App

LearnWorlds is an online learning platform that allows you to create an engaging learning experience for your employees through a course player, templates, ebooks, and a social community. Highlights: Course player with note taking and highlighting functions.

Major Video Game Development Contest Focused on STEM Announced

Kapp Notes

This competition is a component of the 2010 Digital Media and Learning Competition, a $2 million annual effort funded by the MacArthur Foundation that advances the most innovative approaches to learning through games, social networks and mobile devices. This week President Barack Obama launched a new “Educate to Innovate” campaign. This initiative aims to increase science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) literacy among students in US educational institutions.

Games 100

Lessons from Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski

Training Industry

Had I taken a breath and really considered my entire background in broadcast management including sports networks and years of community service, I would have also said Mike Krzyzewski, the men’s head basketball coach at Duke University. I was the sales manager of Capitol Broadcasting’s Sports Networks, the broadcast sports network that sold Krzyzewski’s sports shows and the Duke Basketball games through during the early 80s. 6) Give back to your community.

The 3 Tiers of Employee Gamification

TalentLMS

As a player completes tasks in a game world, some type of progress is signified, which in turn encourages more play. As evidenced by the massive communities online games like “ Halo ” and “ League of Legends ” command, games have a tremendous ability to bring people together. And the motivational appeal of community, recognition, and autonomy is not diminished when taken out of a game context.

Who should be your Chief Collaboration Officer?

Jane Hart

Back in October 2010 Morten Hansen asked the question Who should be your Chief Collaboration Officer on the HBR Blog network. Yes, they are told to be team players and work with their peers. In my recent post I mentioned that as businesses become social businesses, collaboration and community skills are becoming the new workplace skills.

Social Learning for Associations: What to Expect in a Modern LMS

Talented Learning

Increasingly, we see member-based organizations investing in association-wide community platforms like Higher Logic and then later integrating it with an LMS. In a recent podcast interview with me , Arleen explained why social learning will play a more prominent role, going forward: “When we launched, social networking wasn’t built in. Learning communities that connect members with similar interests. Social learning.