Social Media for eLearning Professional Development (Part 1)

eLearning Brothers

Thanks to social media we have some great suggestions for how you can continue to develop your skills for free! The discussions and resources on Twitter provide the eLearning community with information, connections, and inspiration. The eLearning community on Twitter is an active one. Participating in a Twitter chat is another way to network with and learn from eLearning professionals around the globe.

Which Social Media Website Do Digitals Prefer Most and Why?

Your Training Edge

Nothing has ever defined the true potential of technology and digital media better than Social Media. From family to business, social media has touched every single corner of our lives. No wonder a big part of the credit for social media’s popularity goes to the digitals. They don’t just use it for the sake of it; they utilize its true potential to make our lives better in some way and for them social media turned out to be a genie in a bottle.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Smarter Uses for Social Media

Association eLearning

One of those social media users is bound to be in your industry so it’s time to get smarter about how we use social media to connect to followers, members, prospects, thought leaders, and board members. Recently, Maddie Grant at Social Fish presented on the topic of engagement in online communities. Here are some examples she gave for turning traditional approaches to social media strategy on its head. 2) Social Learning.

Revisiting My Learning Journey on Social Media

ID Reflections

On my way to office today, I was pondering about my evolving use of social media. In hindsight I realize how immensely lucky I was to have stumbled onto the learning network I did. I got to learn from the experts – individuals who were charting the path and devising ways to use the tool as an avenue for learning, sharing and innovating – building a strong global community of learning professionals. Such is the power of a learning network and community.

30 Best Social Media Automation Tools & Practices You Need to Try Out

learnWorlds

Social media are undoubtedly one of the most powerful tools for raising brand awareness and growing your business. Already over 91 percent of companies have a social media strategy in place and use multiple social media channels to achieve their marketing goals.

Associations’ Mission to Teach: Social Media vs. Formal Education

Web Courseworks

Social media discussions have become a common way to obtain information. Relying on listservs to share information among a community of practitioners has evolved into launching social media networks. eLearning association distance learning elearning formal education Google instructional design Jon Aleckson social media Web Courseworks

My professional use of social media and communication tools

Challenge to Learn

I noticed that I use more and more social media tools and different tools to communicate. It also has a magazine like interface and the advantage is that you will get information from outside your standard network. ELearninglearning is the one I use most intense, but there are more like ‘ Working smarter Daily ‘ Social media. Communities. We have a community for our partners build in DotNetNuke.

MATEC Webinar Notes and Slides: Social Media and Student Success

Kapp Notes

Called Social Media and Student Success:Leveraging Social Learning Tools. Extend student learning beyond the traditional classroom by leveraging the creative power of social media tools to foster student success, learning, and engagement. Social and Student Success View more presentations from kkapp. Create a Vibrant Learning Community --A social networking and learning really starts and stops with the concept of Community.

Social Media for eLearning Professional Development (Part 2)

eLearning Brothers

Thanks to social media there are ways you can continue to develop your skills for free! The discussions and resources on LinkedIn provide the eLearning community with resources, a network, and encouragement. The eLearning Global Network. These groups can aid in your professional development by expanding your network, providing you with industry information, and introducing new concepts in eLearning design. eLearning Professionals Network.

Social Media: The Virtual “Over-The-Partition” Learning Network.

Dashe & Thomson

Social Learning Blog Training and Performance Improvement in the Real World Home About Bios Subscribe to RSS Social Media: The Virtual “Over-The-Partition” Learning Network by Jolene on April 28, 2011 in Informal Learning , Instructional Design , Training Development , Video , social learning According to the 1996 report from the U.S. Guess who else is getting in the social media game? Social Media.

How to MOOC: Social Media in the Corporate Classroom, Part 2

Your Training Edge

So you are ready to design your own massive open online course (MOOC) and you want to incorporate social media. Since then, social learning tools have exploded onto the market. At a minimum, most MOOCs today use discussion boards, blogs, and microblogs, and many have some kind of dedicated social network. One difference that affects the use of social media is the potential audience and the type of content. Facebook, aka social networking.

The Smart Worker : learning continuously with social media

Jane Hart

In the first of my blog posts on helping L&D department move forward, I want to focus on how we can help others learn continuously using social media. So, an important part of L&D’s new role will be encouraging and supporting a more self-directed and self-reliant approach to continuous learning as people do their jobs; and this is where social media can play a huge part. 3 – Joining and building networks and communities. Tweet.

Your Training Edge

So you are ready to design your own massive open online course (MOOC) and you want to incorporate social media. Since then, social learning tools have exploded onto the market. At a minimum, most MOOCs today use discussion boards, blogs, and microblogs, and many have some kind of dedicated social network. One difference that affects the use of social media is the potential audience and the type of content. Facebook, aka social networking.

Social Media Goals

Clark Quinn

expo (part of the time with fellow miscreant Jay Cross ), and it led me to think a bit more about social media tools and approaches. We were prompted to visit Blue Kiwi , which is probably the leading European social media platform. Vignette , on the other hand, started as a CMS for KM, but then added social media around it. And, of course, there’s now Sharepoint’s integration of social tools around resources. Tags: social

8 Game-Changing Social Media Tips to Grow Your Business

ProProfs

Are you still not convinced about the power of social media and the benefits it offers for your business? But when you begin your activity on social media, knowing where to begin is easier said than done. So, consider these game-changing social media tips that will help you grow your business: 1. That’s where social media comes in. When followers glance at your social profiles, it enables them to understand what you’re all about.

Using Social Media for Learning: Tools & Practices #BHsocialmedia

Learning Visions

Tom Werner, Chief Research Officer, Brandon Hall [link] LMSs are adding social features – including RSS feeds, peer ratings of content. Social media allow: Conversations to continue after training Peer-to-peer interaction in groups – so learners can continue to learn Find individualized answers (by approaching instructors and fellow learners) Share your own content Makes training more efficient Can shorten formal training, because the conversation continues.

7 lessons how to use social media in an event with social media beginners

Joitske Hulsebosch eLearning

Last year we've experimented with various social media to improve a sharing event for about 100 participants (for more details see my older blogpost ). This is not too difficult when all your participants are social media adepts, you announce your hashtags and off they go. However, in this case the majority wasn't actively using social media. So how can you still use social media? Or you may know offline networks working on related themes.

Do You Need a Mentor or a Network?

Experiencing eLearning

Personal Learning Networks. Rather than looking for a single mentor who will spend hours working with you (a pretty big commitment to request of a stranger), work on building your personal learning network or PLN. In Jarche’s Seek – Sense -Share model , you Seek knowledge from your network and Share what you learn back to the network. That network could be called a PLN. Your Network. Where do you find your network?

How we keep up our Social Media Marketing game?

Hurix Digital

Kami Huyse, the Oprah Winfrey in the world of public relations, says, “The first rule of social media is that everything changes all the time. What won’t change is the community’s desire to network.” The world is becoming smaller, thanks to the magnitude of information available on social media platforms alone. A BFSI sector client advertising on social media has to navigate a veritable minefield of rules, regulations and norms.

10 Best Social Media Strategies by Successful Online Course Creators

learnWorlds

In today’s digital age, it is simply impossible to ignore social media. More and more people are using social media – especially millennials and the younger generation, and by 2025 we expect that the number of global social media users will surpass 4.41

Freinet and social media

Learning with 'e's

When I wrote Blogging with Freire , I was speculating on what that great Brazilian educator and theorist might have made of educational blogging - a concept he never knew, because he died before the Internet and social media came in to common use. If he had seen them, what might Freinet have made of digital technology, and what would he have said about social media in education? How about extending this to networking with students in other parts of the world?

Social media does not always equal social learning

Connect Thinking

I was recently asked to define social media. Social learning , on the other hand, is learning that happens through social exchanges and activities, whether the exchange is motivated for personal reasons or for larger collective purposes (adapted from Aaron Silvers , T&D January 2012). Okay, so the simple difference between the two definitions is social media = content, social learning = learning through exchange. Social Media Strategy

Book review: Social media for trainers

Hence I was thrilled to find Jane Bozarth's book: Social media for Trainers. I'm following a lot of social media buzz, a lot is by marketeers. Hence I'm really happy that there is a book specifically written for trainers- and about use of social media, a very clear focus (our upcoming Dutch book about social media for professionals, organisations and facilitators might have benefitted from a clearer focus in hindsight?).

Competition Finalist 4: Top 10 Startup Social Media Curation Tools for Social Learning in the Workplace

eFront

is a one-stop shop for social media and content curation publishing. When you post on your topic page, you can easily share to your social networks including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+. Learnist is the latest social media curation tool for education , still in beta! Mentormob is a social media startup curation tool who make learning online free and accessible to the entire world. This post was submitted by Duma Cornel Lucian.

Social Media And Learning

The eLearning Coach

In this article, I’m featuring a wonderful interview with successful social media expert, Jane Hart. She provides compelling reasons to implement a social and collaborative environment as part of workplace learning. You can read more from Jane at her blog, Social Media in Learning. eLearning Coach: You were an early adopter of using social technologies for learning purposes. eLearning Coach: What are your criteria for defining a technology as social ?

How Trainers Can Manage Their Social Media ‘Brand’

Mindflash

Social media and social networks, to say the least, have become one of the most common ways for people to communicate. Just about everyone — even your mom, probably — has connected somehow with someone else through as social-media tool. For better or worse, all of your social media entries are out there, publicly, for the entire world to see. Employee Training management Social Learning social media training

Various ways to use social media as a facilitator or trainer

More and more often we meet trainers and facilitators who are working mainly face-to-face and would like to use the opportunity of social media to facilitate more online because it may enhance the quality of your trajectory. A great model has been developed by Jane Hart: how to use social media in e-learningtrajectories: We believe you may also use this model to think about how to use social media in face-to-face learning trajectories. (1)

Your Training Edge

Social Media for Knowledge Workers

Tony Karrer

Last week I had a presentation around using Social Media and Web 2.0 That said, I thought it would be worthwhile for me to collect a few of the resources that provide good starting points that can help Knowledge Workers improve their performance using Social Media. tools to improve your performance as a knowledge worker. One of the questions that always comes up is: How do I find more information to help me get started?

Six Obstacles To Building Communities In Organizations

Learnnovators

Rachel Happe begins her latest post, 10 Trends for the Future of Communities , with a comprehensive description of the various intersecting and intermingling streams and characteristics that inform communities, and I am quoting her below: “ Communities sit at the intersection of a number of trends; social media, digital transformation, a generational shift to prioritize purposeful work, the future of work, change management, leadership and social learning.”

5 Tips for Using Social Media in eLearning

DigitalChalk eLearning

As social media continues to grow in popularity in the eLearning industry, there are many benefits and values to using it. Social media can increase employee and student participation; learners are more likely to stay engaged to complete the program if they are able to reach out to peers involved. How can you use social media in eLearning? We’ve put together 5 simple tips to help you use social media to share and connect with educational material.

eLearning - Social Media - Mobile Learning

Tony Karrer

eLearning Learning Hot List - May 15, 2009 to May 22, 2009 Top Posts The following are the top posts from featured sources based on social signals. Choose the Right Pilot Group - Kapp Notes , May 22, 2009 Presentation: Social Bookmarking with Delicious - Don't Waste Your Time , May 15, 2009 Discovering Instructional Design, Part 1 - The E-Learning Curve , May 19, 2009 Meeting icebreaker-How to get a group to acknowledge differences in perceptions.

The Pros of Social Media for E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

The training industry is changing rapidly and technology plays a big role in that change, especially social media. Today, I’d like to discuss a few pros of social media as it relates to our industry and then I’ll follow it up with a post on some of the cons. What is Social Media? Wikipedia has a good detailed definition of social media. The social media technology just facilitates the connection.

Using social media for eLearning (a look at the top 6 social platforms)

eFront

Social media have become an indispensable part of modern life. A huge part of our social lives already happens online rather than in the “real world” And while individual social media networks might rise and fall (remember MySpace?), social networking itself is not going anywhere. But how about using social media as vehicles for eLearning? Facebook is the Godzilla of social networks.

Using social media for eLearning (a look at the top 6 social platforms)

eFront

Social media have become an indispensable part of modern life. A huge part of our social lives already happens online rather than in the “real world” And while individual social media networks might rise and fall (remember MySpace?), social networking itself is not going anywhere. But how about using social media as vehicles for eLearning? Facebook is the Godzilla of social networks.

The Cons of Social Media for E-Learning

Rapid eLearning

Social media is what you make of it. We discussed this in the previous post on the pros of social media. Today we’ll look at the cons of social media and the potential impact they have on you, your job, and our industry. Cons of Social Media: Too Much Noise. Here’s the deal: your social media connections deliver a lot of good content, but there’s just so much of it…and it doesn’t stop.

Marketing Your Association to Millennials: Make it Social

Association eLearning

Years ago, while interning for a social media marketer, I was taught the value of social media to engage and attract business. Today social media marketing has changed from meme generation, to promoted posts and tweets, image ads, and pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns on big name social media sites. So here are the facts, if you want to market your association to millennials, make it social. Have questions about other social media sites?

The influence of social media for learning - technology is more than just a means to a goal

Social technology is a driving force behind social learning. And even within organizations and networks the choice of (social) technology is extremely important and can be a factor determining success or failure. Social media as driving force for social learning Like the pill social media is a technology at the right time in the right place. Social media is a driving force that increasingly influences our daily thinking and actions.

Shifting from Trainer to Community Manager

Bottom-Line Performance

Whether it’s a quick chat with a coworker in the office, a YouTube search for a how-to guide, or a visit to the user community for the software they are using, the ubiquity of quality information has raised our expectation for speed and ease of acquiring new information. We need to shift our mindset from trainer to community manager. Many companies are using tools like Yammer to bring the social networking experience inside the company firewall.

10 Social Media Tools For Learning

The eLearning Coach

Do you have a training or information need that could benefit from a social media strategy? So here are descriptions of ten applications representing different social media technologies that promote learning. Category: Social Networking Platform. Elgg is a social networking engine and publishing platform for running your own social networking site on a public or private server.