Knowledge, practice and community

Learning with 'e's

In this post, I extend this idea into the work Lave did with Etienne Wenger, which has become known as Communities of Practice. The work of Lave and Wenger advances this concept, turning its focus to the people who make up the learning communities we are all a part of. Communities of Practice (CoP) are made up of people who have a common purpose and interest, and who are essentially learning together. Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19.

Engaging online learners 5

Learning with 'e's

Photo from Pixabay This series is about how teachers can improve engagement for online learners (see links below for previous posts in the series). And yet asynchronous modes of online learning can be as equally powerful as synchronous methods.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Free and Open Source Web Conferencing (Online Meetings, Webinars.

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 10/31/2010 Free and Open Source Web Conferencing (Online Meetings, Webinars) Tools for e-Learning I received several emails, message on Twitter, and InMails on LinkedIn concerning the Open Source Authoring Tools for e-Learning and the Free Stock Photos Sites for e-Learning posts. You belong in that community!!)

Free e-Learning books

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 11/14/2010 Free e-Learning books Since I am a great fun of open source software ( Open Source Authoring Tools for e-Learning , Free and Open Source Web Conferencing Tools for e-Learning ) and active member of online communities I created the following list with free e-Learning books. =>

From novice to expert

Learning with 'e's

Lave sees the social context of this kind of situated learning as vitally important, because novice learners can be closely supported by experts, and their behaviour and knowledge can be scaffolded by more experienced members of their learning community. The role of stronger, or more knowledgeable learners within a learning community (e.g. Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. This is number 24 in my series on learning theories.

195 posts about MOOCs

Jay Cross

Why do synchronous web tools suck? K-12 MOOCs and Communities. Photo by Aussiegal. Understanding Internal vs External Community Building [link] #. Complexity Learning Community MOOCsPage 1 of 2. Previous | Next. GEORGE SIEMENS. JUNE 3, 2012. What is the theory that underpins our moocs? If you’re even casually aware of what is happening in higher education, you’ve likely heard of massive open online courses ( MOOCs ). MORE >> GEORGE SIEMENS.

OER 73

15 Best Strategies for Teaching Online

ProProfs

Weekly newsletters are also very effective for providing information and building a community of trust. Use a mix of asynchronous and synchronous activities to engage your students and cater to different learner needs. Build a Learning Community Now.

Curated Insights: Curation on Curation

Axonify

As the author quotes, “Curation comes up when people realize that it isn’t just about information seeking, it’s also about synchronizing a community.” I followed the #ATD2017 hashtag throughout the event and “flipped” photos, insights and resources I thought were particularly interesting into a new online magazine. We’re about to get very meta! This month’s curated post is about curation. To quote Deadpool , “ A fourth wall break inside a fourth wall break?

Masie 100

Curated Insights: Curation on Curation

Axonify

As the author quotes, “Curation comes up when people realize that it isn’t just about information seeking, it’s also about synchronizing a community.” I followed the #ATD2017 hashtag throughout the event and “flipped” photos, insights and resources I thought were particularly interesting into a new online magazine. We’re about to get very meta! This month’s curated post is about curation. To quote Deadpool , “ A fourth wall break inside a fourth wall break?

Masie 100

"Working Out Loud": Using the Tools We Already Have

ID Reflections

A bit more conscious thinking behind why, when and how we use these platforms can transform our daily meandering interactions into purposeful habits around learning, sharing and community building. Before I get into how each of the tools facilitate and inspire #wol, I want to highlight that the process of working out loud is not only restricted to synchronous sharing of what one is doing at the moment with a closed group or team.

Tools 174

How to Teach Online & Earn Money in 2021: Definitive Guide

learnWorlds

It is a “challenging and enjoyable learning environment” as they call it, where they share tips and techniques to help learners improve in photography, offering several paid photography and photo editing courses. Social Settings: Monitor Your Online Community.

Teach 82

How to Effectively Shift to Online Teaching: The Ultimate Guide

TechSmith Camtasia

You can now turn your online classes into connected, active, and engaging learning communities. You built an active and inclusive online learning community. – Synchronous vs. asynchronous learning – What makes a quality online course? What is synchronous learning?

Teach 83

Elearning applications

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 1/02/2011 Top 10 Open Source e-Learning Projects to Watch for 2011 2011 is the e-Learning year! eFront enables "community learning" and supports the principles of "collective knowledge".

Top 10 Virtual Learning Environments

Ed App

LearnWorlds is an online learning platform that allows you to create an engaging learning experience for your employees through a course player, templates, ebooks, and a social community. Built-in social community.

In the mixer

Learning with 'e's

It's a blend we are taking an increasing interest in, throughout the education community. My view is that social learning amplifies personal learning, and all can benefit from the knowledge of each individual in the community. In education we call these modes synchronous and asynchronous, and each has its own benefits. Blended. It used to be something you did in the kitchen. With a machine. Saved you having to mix ingredients with your hands or a utensil.

Top 20 Employee Training Tools

Ed App

Also, to integrate social learning into the platform, they’ve added collaborative features like built-in messaging, user communities, and discussion boards. Highlights: User communities, built-in messaging, task assignments.

Moving From Traditional Training To Virtual Classrooms, Part 3

OpenSesame

This point may seem obvious, but unfortunately, this is how much of today’s online synchronous learning is taking place. Search the Learning Explosion for more instructional design ideas, experiment with some of your own, and to share them with online communities.

Who's in charge?

Learning with 'e's

Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Quillian and Collins Spreading Activation Theory Photo by NEC Corporation on Flickr Who's in charge? This is number 35 in my ongoing series on learning theories. In this series I have been providing a brief overview of each theory, and how each can be applied in education. All the previous posts in this series are linked below, with theorists listed in alphabetical order.

Distributed digital identity

Learning with 'e's

It could also be calamitous for our sense of community, society, and for the mental health of many. We now find ourselves in a transitionary phase where we are just beginning to come to terms with the ways technology might mediate our virtual, social and cognitive presence in synchronous and asynchronous spaces. Photo by Freya Bigg Flipping the teacher by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0

Effective Web Conferences – 41 Resources

Tony Karrer

I primarily used the eLearning Learning and Communities and Networks sites and used Conference , Online Facilitation of Conferences , Online Interaction in Conferences , Moderating Online Interaction , and others. Community Roles: Manager, Moderator, and Administrator , January 8, 2008 was asked an interesting question last week about the best ways to divide the community manager role into separate manager, moderator , and administrator roles.

Web 166

Self fulfilling prophecies

Learning with 'e's

Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Rotter Locus of Control Photo by Dhillan Chandramowli on Flickr Self fulfilling prophecies by Steve Wheeler was written in Plymouth, England and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 This is number 36 in my continuing series of blog posts about learning theories.

15 Must-Have Knowledge Sharing Tools

The Training by Nelle Blog | Corporate Training and Consulting

a month/per user for 1TB of storage, desktop synchronization, secured sharing and office integration, but the OnlinePlan 2 offers additional features such as advanced encryption, and eDiscovery. MOMENTUM Features: Account synchronization, customization for backgrounds and themes, Countdown timer, Custom quotes, Notes, and third party integrations Why You'll Love it: You can manage multiple To-Do Lists such as Inbox, Today, and Done Cost: $2.50

Working Out Loud: Using the Tools We Already Have

Learnnovators

A bit more conscious thinking behind why, when and how we use these platforms can transform our daily meandering interactions into purposeful habits around learning, sharing and community building. Before I get into how each of the tools that facilitate and inspire #wol, I want to highlight that the process of working out loud is not only restricted to synchronous sharing of what one is doing at the moment with a closed group or team.

Micro Learning and Mobile

eLearning 24-7

Now, a one stop tool from taking photos, shooting video, downloading and using apps for communication, social, interactivity, fun/games, reading and whatever else is your desire. . On/Off synchronization (yes, equally achievable with tablets, phablets too). Example: You have employees using SnapChat, where you can send a quick photo/video to a friend. A quiz and static photo OR someone in their department or similar job role, video of a way of doing something (i.e.

The most updated and popular E-Learning Blogs

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 11/21/2010 The most updated and popular E-Learning Blogs After a long research, I have created a list of the most updated and popular e-learning blogs regarding e-learning. Under her guidance, the association was able to offer its first asynchronous Web-delivered course, and its first synchronous Webinar.

Our mutual friends

Learning with 'e's

Learning within a highly connected community of practice provides learners with new vistas, greater scope for exploration, and access to dialogue at the highest level in their field of study. Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Merizow Transformative Learning Photo by Stefano Bertolo on Flickr Our mutual friends by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0

Learning, making and powerful ideas

Learning with 'e's

Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Norman The design of everyday things Photo by Steve Wheeler Learning, making and powerful ideas by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 This is number 31 in my series on learning theories. I''m working through the alphabet of psychologists and theorists, providing a brief overview of each theory, and how it can be applied in education.

Ideas 56

How WordPress Pro Alex Standiford Runs an Agency, Teaches Plugin Development, and Homesteads Debt Free From His RV

LifterLMS

Alex has been around the WordPress community for a long time, and he’s also an expert at AffiliateWP. Alex has been around the WordPress community for a long time. Just gave them one of the plugins that I built, which was a synchronization utility for Oracle’s NetSuite.

Teach 68

Why Content Curation Should be in Your Skillset

Jay Cross

And, as Clay Shirky has said: “Curation comes up when people realize that it isn’t just about information seeking, it’s also about synchronizing a community.”. Pinterest enables you to curate photos. A multinational software and e-business consulting firm (If I told you the name, I’d have to shoot you) set up dozens of communities of a hundred or so like-minded professionals. Admission is invitation-only; the communities are like guilds.

PKM 71

The E-Learning Foundations Intensive: Day 1

NuggetHead

Karen Hyder with Kaleidoscope Training and Consulting / eLearning Guild talked about “Synchronous Tools Review.” I decided to attend Karen’s session as I really didn’t know a lot about synchronous tools as a delivery of eLearning other than being a participant in many webinar sessions. Patti Shank facilitated a lab for “Rapid Tools Hands-On Lab” and Karen Hyder facilitated a lab for “Synchronous Tools Hands-On Lab.”

Going the extra mile

Learning with 'e's

The previous post highlighted issues around the theory of Communities of Practice, from the work of Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger. Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice Photo by Steve Wheeler Going the extra mile by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 This is number 26 in my series on learning theories.

The point of no return

Learning with 'e's

Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Maslow Hierarchy of Human Needs Photo by Sid Mosdell on Flickr The point of no return by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 This is number 27 in my series on learning theories. I''m working through the alphabet of psychologists and theorists, providing a brief overview of each theory, and how it can be applied in education.

Top 10 Higher Ed/EDU LMSs for 2017

eLearning 24-7

Honestly, on the HE side, you should change from synchronous based to asynchronous based. . It is my belief and has been, that the reason these systems, regardless of who they are, fail for the students, in the long run, is the synchronous approach which is nothing more than sticking the ILT classroom approach online. . Anyway, the Moodle community is extremely active, which is what you need to the open source world. A good tiding to you all. Ahh, the new year.

Design for life

Learning with 'e's

Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Milgram Obedience to Authority Photo by Cyrano82 on Deviant Art Design for Life by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 This is number 30 in my series on learning theories. I''m working through the alphabet of psychologists and theorists, providing a brief overview of each theory, and how it can be applied in education.

Stage by stage

Learning with 'e's

Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Paivio Dual Coding Theory Photo by Pixabay Stage by stage by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 This is number 33 in my series on learning theories. Psychologists and cognitive scientists have offered a number of useful theories that aid our understanding of learning.

In two minds

Learning with 'e's

Jung Archetypes and Synchronicity 19. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Papert Constructionism Photo by Steve Wheeler Graphic by Instructional Design In two minds by Steve Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 This is number 32 in my series on learning theories. Psychologists and cognitive scientists have offered a number of useful theories that aid our understanding of learning.

Evolving the E-Learning Experience for the 21st Century

eLearning 24-7

A greater number of people, worldwide are using SaaS then ever before, mobile products, tablets – especially the iPad – is growing at a feverish pace, people are using online storage, beyond just placing photos and media, and open source is continuing expansion. To hold photos, images, media files – eventually moved to word docs. Synchronous based learning which has limitations and sometimes passive learning, now becomes active learning.

VOIP 64