The differences between social professional networks and communities of practice

Matrix

The meaning of ‘community’ has changed drastically with the spread of the internet and the rise of all the social networks. No longer confined by geography, people who share the same interests can connect, share and grow as a community online. Organizational value of online communities. However, it’s a very thin line between a community focusing solely on the social aspect and one that is truly dedicated to enriching the skill and competency portfolio of its members.

How Freelance Clients Find Me

Experiencing eLearning

Portfolio. An online portfolio is a requirement if you’re freelancing. Your portfolio is a way to tell your story about the work you do and the work you want to do in the future. My portfolio is on my business website. You don’t need to have lots of full courses on your portfolio. If I was starting over now, I’d register a domain right away and create my blog as part of my website and portfolio. Social Media and Online Communities.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Creating an eLearning Portfolio Using Your Community Content

Trivantis

One of my favorite (and lesser-known) features on the Trivantis® Community is the ability to share Lectora® courses. As a diehard developer turned Community Manager, I still get the itch to play around in Lectora, so I love it when I have an excuse to create something new. If you are creating content that you’d love to get out into the world, there’s no better way than to place all your shared titles in one place on the Community, then link them to your portfolio.

Communities of Practice Need Some Practice

Nick Leffler

Defining Communities of Practice (CoP). It’s hard to define a Community of Practice, but I think a good start would be to quote a Tweet I recently saw from another MSLOC430 participant. It sums up what happens when you’re in a Community of Practice and it’s a summary of none other than Harold Jarche who seems to have something relevant to each category I’m writing about. What’s your take on Communities of Practice?

Here’s How an E-Learning Portfolio Builds Your Skills

Rapid eLearning

Having a portfolio is really important, especially in today’s world of digital technology. Recently, I gave a presentation on why you should maintain a work portfolio, here’s part of the presentation where we’ll focus on your personal development. What is a Portfolio? A portfolio does three main things: It showcases your skills. And without a portfolio how can you show your work and skills? Common Objections for Not Maintaining a Portfolio.

Instructional Design Experience Before Your First Job

Experiencing eLearning

People who built portfolios as part of a masters or graduate certificate program are generally in a better position, but they may need experience too. You get some experience and a project for your portfolio; a nonprofit gets some free content to further their cause. Portfolio building.

Job 277

Here’s Why You Need an E-Learning Portfolio

Rapid eLearning

I got about 1000 inquiries and ended up looking at over 200 portfolios. I could have looked at more but I got a lot of emails from people who didn’t have portfolios. They either didn’t have a portfolio or the projects they worked on were proprietary so they couldn’t share them.

Social Awareness Program For Instructional Design Degree

Nick Leffler

It wasn’t for any typical Instructional Design work which I’ve worked on (even in my side consulting jobs) but with social media skills at the center. I’ve done a lot around social media lately including participating in several Twitter chats. For the past several years I’ve focused heavily on increasing my social presence from LinkedIn to Twitter, and even this blog. Social Awareness Program. Social and Learned Helplessness in Learning.

Podcast 30: Learning From Customer Conferences – With Tristan Jordan and Tara Pawlak of Community Brands

Talented Learning

EPISODE 30 – TOPIC SUMMARY AND GUESTS: Today I’m thrilled to welcome two executives from Community Brands – EVP and General Manager, Tristan Jordan , and Director of Marketing, Tara Pawlak. Community conferences are a powerful way to build a brand – strengthening relationships while you celebrate customer successes and explore common challenges. Q&A HIGHLIGHTS: JOHN: First, maybe we should introduce Community Brands. I had no idea your portfolio spans 59 brands!

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Online Portfolios

Learning Visions

Thursday, August 02, 2007 Online Portfolios Jennifer Madrell shows us a great example of an online portofolio , which she calls a "svelte and sparkly version of this blog - that is a requirement and capstone project at Indiana University." Hi Cammy I havent got an online portfolio for myself.

Increasing Social Awareness in Higher Education

Nick Leffler

About two months ago I wrote about increasing social awareness in higher education , specifically the MSIDT program that I graduated from. Developing the social awareness of the program has gone well, although nothing like I had planned. I began going in a few different directions; writing articles for various websites/magazines, writing blog posts for the MSIDT website, and reviving or creating social media accounts to share and converse with the community.

How to Become an Industry Pro

B Online Learning

In this video, Tom Kuhlmann, VP of Articulate Community talks about how to become an industry pro. How to build your online portfolio through community Tips & tricks on establishing your expertise. Adult Learning Principles Articulate eLearning Design eLearning Development eLearning News Informal Learning Social Media community elearning instructonaldesign l&d pd personallearningnetwork pln shareyourwork storyline studio tomkuhlmann

Social Media Goals

Clark Quinn

expo (part of the time with fellow miscreant Jay Cross ), and it led me to think a bit more about social media tools and approaches. We were prompted to visit Blue Kiwi , which is probably the leading European social media platform. Vignette , on the other hand, started as a CMS for KM, but then added social media around it. Drupal is an open source CMS that’s been used for social media, and Elgg similarly started as an open source portfolio tool but has expanded.

When Social means Business …

Learning Cafe

Last week news was abounding that Microsoft are about to announce their acquisition of social media company Yammer for $1.2B. Although not yet confirmed, it comes hot on the heels of other social media buy outs such as Salesforce.com snapping up Buddy Media for close to $700 million to complement its existing Chatter social media platform; Oracle adding Collective Intellect and Vitrue to its portfolio of social media-related acquisitions and SAP acquiring Ariba for $4.3

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: With Community Comes Great Responsibility

Learning Visions

Thursday, August 09, 2007 With Community Comes Great Responsibility In reflecting over the benefits of the first week or so of the 31 Days to Better Blogging Challenge , the biggest thing for me has been the overall boost in community. But with community comes great responsibility. (Im

A Brief Introduction – Communities of Practice Manager

The Learning Circuits

As Ryann mentioned in a previous post, I’m the Community of Practice Manager for Learning Technologies at ASTD. In this role, I engage with the community and help build ASTD’s portfolio of content—from T+D articles to books to educational programs to conferences and beyond. I also help foster discussion and debate within the community. My current areas of focus are Social Learning, Mobile Learning, and Simulations and Serious Games.

The Top Six Things Organizations Must Do to Enable Emergent Learning

Learnnovators

Social learning via an enterprise collaboration platform. MOOCs which straddle the line between social learning and e-learning with learner communities. This is leading to a shift in the role of the L&D department – from managers and disseminators of formally designed programs to facilitators and enablers of collaboration and communities. Shift from networks to communities. It is in communities that knowledge is exchanged and challenges solved.

Saffron launches new social learning platform

Saffron Interactive

At next week’s Learning Technologies Exhibition Saffron Interactive (Stand 33) will be demonstrating Saffron Share, a corporate social network, personal portfolio and community knowledge base for collaboration and ‘just-in-time’ learning. The product is based on the open source Elgg social networking engine. Essentially, it’s a Moodle approach to the corporate social network with clear benefits for global organisations with tens of thousands of learners.’.

50 Posts and Articles that Made Me Think in 2011

ID Reflections

In the past one year, I have made a career shift or should I sayexpanded my work portfolio (and I have describedthe move here ), and these posts and articles have been instrumental inhelping me make sense of the move and impart some value to the work I do. I have listed them insome sort of reading order or the way they made sense to me… Social Business The future ispodular by Dave Gray PuttingEnterprise 2.0

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Building Community in Second Life: Renaissance Island

Learning Visions

Friday, August 24, 2007 Building Community in Second Life: Renaissance Island As you know, Ive been trying to walk-the-talk and experiment a bit with Second Life, role my virtual sleeves up and see what all the fuss is about. Creating Social Presence in Online Classroom (ID.

e-Learning Acupuncture: Technology, Colleges and Community Online Conference

E-Learning Acupuncture

Thursday, December 20, 2007 Technology, Colleges and Community Online Conference I live in Canada and these days everywhere I look, I see snow. The Technology, Colleges and Community (TCC) Conference is hosted by Kapiolani Community College, in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Blogging to Build Your Business

Experiencing eLearning

This could be your whole business website and portfolio with an integrated blog, all at one URL. There are also limitations to the types of files you can share, so you may have to host portfolio samples elsewhere and link to them. Your post is much more likely to stand out when it’s shared in other social media if you include an image. Build Your Community. Respond to and recognize your readers and the blog community.

5 Practical Tips To Maximize Your Gains From Outsourcing Corporate eLearning Development

Adobe Captivate

Addition of more innovative solutions to your portfolio. While most eLearning development organizations have access to a similar portfolio of tools and technologies, your partner can add value to your learning designs through innovative and creative Instructional Design approaches.

Work Out Loud – Don’t Just Share What You Did

Nick Leffler

I’ve already covered the wonderful topics of crowdsourcing , idea management and design and yesterday’s communities of practice. I created a Storyline template which I shared with the Articulate community and also wrote a post about my process of creating it and thinking. I’ve been able to do things such as mentioned above where I post in my portfolio to show my work and used my blog to write about the process of created it.

Where is L&D heading?

E-Learning Provocateur

What about online social education and Communities of Practice? Beyond the technology, the success of social learning is predicated on the culture of the organisation. My go-to success stories for social learning are Coca-Cola Amatil, who have cultivated active communities of practice across state-based factory floors; and Deloitte, who are the poster child for enterprise social networking. Community of Practice Case Study.

Top Ten Tools for Learning 2014

Experiencing eLearning

Diigo is my social bookmarking option. I appreciate the active community and constant improvements to the platform. My business website and portfolio were also built with WordPress. The active community for this open source tool and the numerous free tutorials and resources are a huge benefit for me when I’m working in Moodle or Totara (a corporate version of Moodle). Jane Hart is collecting her eighth annual list of top tools for learning.

Tools 358

Business applications of Twitter

E-Learning Provocateur

Some of the ideas specifically relate to e-learning, while others may fall more comfortably into other portfolios. I see this kind of activity falling into the Public Affairs portfolio, as it concerns brand management.

Everything You Need to Know About Learning and Development Modernization

InfoPro Learning

The Total Cost of Your Training Portfolio. A portfolio of training programs represents a significant investment in company resources, including the annual training budgets of years past and the time and effort of training personnel, subject matter experts, and training vendors. View our Infographic for a visual journey tracking a single dollar invested in a Global 1000 training portfolio. Social Media: L&D’s Untapped Resource.

Reimagining Learning

Clark Quinn

These products are portfolio items, going forward, and assessable items. This is also part of your portfolio, and assessable. You could be assigning studio and classroom and community projects, and getting back write-ups, performances, and more. The portfolio is really the answer. design meta-learning social strategy technologyOn the way to the recent Up To All Of Us un conference (#utaou), I hadn’t planned an agenda.

Learning Theory - Enterprise 2.0 - Social Software - eLearning Learning Weekly Hot List

eLearning Learning Posts

We will be publishing this kind of hot list each week and doing monthly and other summaries here using the social filtering mechanisms of Browse My Stuff. The following are the top posts from featured sources based on social signals. SharePoint vs. Social Media - Engaged Learning , June 22, 2009. Using Social Signals to Find Top eLearning Resources - eLearning Technology , June 24, 2009. The following are the top other items based on social signals.

Diverse Workforce – How to Meet Learning Needs?

Origin Learning

The retailer with a portfolio of niche and luxury brands was faced with the typical growth and business needs. Creating a best practices community to enable effective knowledge-sharing on continuous improvement of customer experience. Social communication for a stronger network and common understanding across the multiple global locations via a single platform. How does an organization meet the learning needs of a diverse work base?

A Three-Step Process to Build Your Skills the Right Way

Rapid eLearning

Recently, I’ve seen dozens of portfolios and work samples that are verbatim copies of the work of others. And then show off what you can do in your portfolio. Check out these articles and free resources in the community. E-learning Instructional Design Online Course Design Professional Development Social LearningThis isn’t a good thing, especially if you represent it as your own work.

The Top Six Things Organizations Must Do to Enable Emergent Learning

ID Reflections

Social learning via an enterprise collaboration platform Mobile enabled learning accessible anytime, anywhere, on any device of the user’s choice MOOCs which straddle the line between social learning and e-learning with learner communities While an organization can facilitate these, the onus lies with the users/learners. Shift from networks to communities. However, facilitating networks is not enough albeit it’s the necessary precursor to building communities.

Michael Allen – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

How do you think existing learning models need to evolve further to support workplace and social learning? You have built a community engaged in constructive discussions around your product. How do you think your community is driving innovations in your products? How is the community and the industry looking at your call for leaving ADDIE behind? What is your vision for the e-learning community? ABOUT Dr. MICHAEL W.

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Kineos August Rapid e-Learning Newsletter

Learning Visions

They provide some fabulous (free) resources to the e-Learning community and have just been nominated the "Best New Kids on the Block" by the Brighton and Hove Business Awards. Creating Social Presence in Online Classroom (ID.

Questions about Instructional Design Careers

Experiencing eLearning

Portfolio. Q: I will obviously need to create a portfolio, and I know that it will need to begin with volunteer opportunities. What is the depth and/or scope of a typical person’s portfolio? How does one, as an entry level ID, maximize potential for a portfolio that will leverage the best job? Your graduate program should help you build a portfolio, including giving you an opportunity to create realistic examples.

MICHAEL ALLEN – CRYSTAL BALLING WITH LEARNNOVATORS

Learnnovators

How do you think existing learning models need to evolve further to support workplace and social learning? You have built a community engaged in constructive discussions around your product. How do you think your community is driving innovations in your products? How is the community and the industry looking at your call for leaving ADDIE behind? What is your vision for the e-learning community? ABOUT Dr. MICHAEL W.