Organizations as Communities?—?Part 2

ID Reflections

Yesterday, in a Twitter conversation with Rachel Happe regarding the need for organizations to function as communities, I wrote the following: “ Complicated solutions are yesterday’s good practices. How are communities connected to complexity, collective intelligence and “sensemaking”?

Trust--The Cornerstone of Collaboration

ID Reflections

The post is an attempt to begin an analysis of what is required to build and maintain trust and thus facilitate collaboration. What is the recipe for success when you need people to implicitly trust each other? lrnchat #edchat #collaboration #trust Me : This really is a difficult qs.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The Knowledge and Learning Transfer Problem

Performance Learning Productivity

The problem with learning transfer The knowledge transfer myth and best practice misunderstanding have striking similarities with the ‘learning transfer’ problem, in both senses of the phrase – transfer of learning into heads and transfer of learning from heads into action.

Social Technology, Community Management & Organizational Development

Learnnovators

Organizations will find that only complex and creative work requiring skills like problem solving, pattern sensing, analysing, and such are left for the human workforce – the same workforce that through years of command and control has been reduced to order-following machines.

Developing a Results Driven Curriculum

design a curriculum solution that: • has a clear goal tied to a well- articulated business problem, • meets the needs of your target. to solve the business problems that need solving. clear on your business problem and desired outcomes. problem? problem and desired result.

Social Technology, Community Management and Organizational Development

ID Reflections

Organizations will find that only complex and creative work requiring skills like problem solving, pattern sensing, analysing, and such are left for the human workforce - the same workforce that through years of command and control has been reduced to order-following machines.

Creating a Robust Social Community within Your LMS

LearnDash

Because of this, many educators have caught on to the value of community for promoting their courses. A dedicated online community not only brings with it a tremendous amount of support and enthusiasm, it also gives learners a reason to remain part of your program. That said, there are many ways an online community can be built, and online educators often miss out by considering their community too narrowly. Let’s say your community focuses on online development.

The Smart Worker : relies on a trusted network of friends and colleagues

Jane Hart

In recent postings I focused on how L&D can support the content needs of the Smart Worker, but in fact it is clear, that most people first try and solve their problems by calling upon the people they know to help them, so this is the topic of this posting. Tweet.

Trust 282

The Four Pillars of Trust

CLO Magazine

Invest time to build trust and reap the rewards of strong relationships. A lack of trust has reached epidemic proportions. The trust ratio is even worse for Congress. Securities and Exchange Commission member recently cited data showing that nearly 80 percent of Americans do not trust the financial system. Given sobering statistics like these, it’s clear that the ability to build and sustain trust is a core competency for any leader today. What is trust?

Trust 64

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

<div class=”page-chapo”>Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise.</div>

DevLearn 2014 – It’s a Wrap (and it’s all about community): Featuring Meg Bertapelle

Learning Rebels

I would even make the argument that it’s more a Personal Learning Community than a network (which conjures up visions of a strange form of speed dating, strangers passing around business cards hoping for a connection). Benefits of PLN/Community/Professional Organizations.

Six Tenets of Community Management: Learnings

ID Reflections

I have beenplaying the role of an enterprise community manager for some time now—6 monthsto be precise—and thought it would be a good idea to jot down my learnings fromthe past few months. This post is directed towards new community managers, whohave recently donned the mantle of community management and are perhaps findingthat there are more things to do than one had thought of. It’s about thepeople who are the heart and soul of the community.

TCC09: Wikis that Work: Effective Wiki Practices for Virtual Learning Communities

Experiencing eLearning

This virtual learning community took the initiative to form a study group and share strategies for completing course problem-solving assignments. They effectively managed issues of trust, workload, and learning within their social network. Community of Inquiry. Wiki Wiki.

Wiki 241

Listen: Discover Financial Services’ Jon Kaplan on tuition assistance programs and the importance of building trust among your learning team

CLO Magazine

The only problem? One last thing before we turn to Jon’s conversation, coming back to that set of fresh eyes that you had when you came aboard and started working on Chief Learning Officer , what has surprised you about the community and the role of chief learning officer?

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise. How do communities of practice work? Why is a community of practice useful?

Communities and Networks Connection

Tony Karrer

This is a great week for content communities. Yesterday, I was able to announce that I've been working with Judy Brown to launch the Mobile Learning Content Community. She has been my go to person for all things Community for years.

B2B content marketing defined by trust

Aptara

B2B content marketing defined by trust. That's the path Business 2 Community contributor Holly Hammersmith took. Trying to figure out the perfect piece of content for a given audience is one of the most important marketing functions companies deal with today.

Trust 52

Do You Trust Me?

The Learning Circuits

Despite some audio/visual problems with the link between the two sites, the content of the sessions was thought provoking and painstakingly honest. One of the topics that came out in nearly every discussion was that of trust, the role it plays in media today and how it will be even more a factor in the future. " We come to trust individuals, and to a lesser extent brands, who we know because we've connected with "their story."

Trust 40

The Essential Art of Building Rapport

KnowledgeCity

Building rapport helps to create and develop avenues of mutual trust, friendship and affinity with other individuals. Unfortunately, failure to communicate effectively is a common problem in work environments.

Trust 56

eLearning Content Development: 6 Steps to Create a Learning Problem Statement

TalentLMS

Before plunging into an eLearning course development process with your team, spend some time developing a formal problem statement. Let’s determine the research-worthiness of a problem and the steps to create a clear learning problem statement.

Navigating the Digital Ecosystem, Preselling, and the Problems with the Culture of Free with Robin Harris

LifterLMS

Navigating the digital ecosystem, preselling, and the problems with the culture of free with Robin Harris in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. We talk a lot on this show and I go on and on about it, the five hats problems. How do you community build?

Rachel Happe on Community Maturity Model

Jay Cross

Jay’s notes on webinar presentation with Rachel Happe, co-founder of The Community Roundtable. The Community Roundtable is a virtual table where social media and community practitioners gather to meet, discuss challenges, celebrate successes, and hear from experts.

Helping Women Get Their Groove Back by Building Communities and Strong Support Networks from Rural Areas with Rebecca Undem

LifterLMS

Helping women get their groove back by building communities and strong support networks from rural areas with Rebecca Undem in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Rebecca grew up in a small farming community in North Dakota with a population of 1,800 people.

How to Launch a Successful Online Course MVP, Generate Multiple Income Streams, and Build a Team with Divi Community Leader David Blackmon of Aspen Grove Studios

LifterLMS

How to launch a successful online course MVP, generate multiple income streams, and build a team with Divi community leader David Blackmon of Aspen Grove Studios in this episode of LMScast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. James who is also another leader in the Divi community.

L&D's Role in a Purpose Driven Workplace

ID Reflections

Employees today want to be part of a community where the work and the workplace will be an extension of themselves, their passion and vision. I am reminded of Abhijit Bhaduri's post on Talent Communities in relation to this post. Take the Linux community for example.

Roles 188

Becoming a Social Business – Beyond Culture Change

Learnnovators

The German word Weltanschauung —used to represent the mode of apprehending reality of a community—was first used by Kant and later popularized by Hegel. Weltanschauung represents the collective consciousness of a community of a certain experience. These concepts are fundamentally opposed to the principle and values that support cooperation and collaboration – the pillars of social business and authentic communities.

Smarter Uses for Social Media

Association eLearning

Recently, Maddie Grant at Social Fish presented on the topic of engagement in online communities. 3) Community Partnership. Now that’s providing solutions before the problem. Community Partnership. Did you know someone joins LinkedIn every second?

LearnTrends: Personal Knowledge Management

Experiencing eLearning

PKM is a set of problem-solving skills for work, focused on getting things done but not necessarily task focused. More important advances in the future will be our advances in dealing with information & problem solving, not in computer technology ( he was quoting someone–didn’t catch who, and this is only a paraphrase ). Interesting discussion in the chat about whether if you don’t pay for services if you can trust it.

Becoming a Social Business -- Beyond Culture Change

ID Reflections

The German word Weltanschauung —used to represent the mode of apprehending reality of a community—was first used by Kant and later popularized by Hegel. Weltanschauung represents the collective consciousness of a community of a certain experience. These concepts are fundamentally opposed to the principle and values that support cooperation and collaboration – the pillars of social business and authentic communities.

Change 102

DevLearn08: The Great (and community-powered) ILS Challenge

Mark Oehlert

Now, before I get to the community submissions, let me profusely thank Deborah Todd and Bob Hone - our 'in room' contributors. Alan Levine ( Web site / slides ): " Who the *#@% can we Trust? " . wanted to get those out and now I'll go and sift through all the narrative stuff I got on this.let me know if there is any problem getting to any of the slides You guys did an INCREDIBLE job of responding to my plea for assistance.

LearnTrends: Extending Learning to the Edges of Organizations

Experiencing eLearning

Support communities of practice around domains. ROI $3 Million for one project based on time saved finding solutions to problems. Community ratings help judge what’s valuable–self regulating. Most work gets done based on trust–you trust that your manager won’t undermine you, your manager trusts you to do your job. Posted in e-Learning, Learning Communities, LMS, Workplace Learning.

Literacy, wot literacy?

Learning with e's

Figures quoted are obtained from the National Literacy Trust he says. The key point of this story is that every generation has its literacy problems. The way we represent knowledge, the world around us, society, community, reality, is changing.

Caveat Auditor: The Role Of Critical Thinking In Modern Business Training

Adobe Captivate

Employers lament the inability of new employees to think critically and solve problems creatively – placing the blame firmly on the high school or college training of the incoming employees. Sometimes the problem is not so obviously attributed to emotion.

Roles 93

Now What? Beyond Networks

Experiencing eLearning

community of practice. meet challenges/solve problems. How do you build trust through online communication? Posted in Informal Learning, Learning Communities. Tags: Informal Learning Learning Communities learning learntrends These are my notes from the Learn Trends: Networked and Social Learning online mini-conference. This isn’t my usual comprehensive live blogging, just snippets of things that caught my interest.

Starting Out With a Challenging Manager

Everwise

When asked for tips on how to start off on the right foot with a manager who is known to micromanage and distrust their team, here’s what our community had to say: Walk into the new relationship with an open mind. Your colleagues may have been a part of the problem.

Trust 78

How to Offer Private Tutoring and Mentorship on LearnDash

LearnDash

Learner drop-out is a consistent problem across the field, and the causes behind it are well-known. Fortunately, LearnDash supports several plugins that can facilitate tutoring sessions, tandem learning, mentorship, and community support.

Securing Buy-In For Your Own Ideas

Everwise

When asked how to get organizational buy-in for your ideas, here’s what our community had to say: Establish trust and credibility first. Before even beginning to pitch your ideas, make sure your work is trusted and respected among your team.