Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Maslow Remove Social
article thumbnail

#LearningIs social

Learning with e's

Humans are inherently social. Most of our learning is achieved within social contexts. Even when we are on our own, much of our learning through resources such as books and videos is mediated socially - there is another mind behind the resource. Is there space for collaboration and communication between students?

Social 40
article thumbnail

Going the extra mile

Learning with e's

The previous post highlighted issues around the theory of Communities of Practice, from the work of Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger. In this post, I''m revisiting a well known and heavily used motivational theory - Maslow''s Hierarchy of Human Needs. Most versions of Maslow''s Hierarchy are represented as pyramids.

Maslow 84
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The importance of being networked

Learning with e's

In yesterday's blogpost Separation and connection I talked about the nature of social media and their capability to amplify human contact. Specifically, I made the point that Personal Learning Networks (PLNs) are enabled and strengthened when we make connections through social media tools. our use of social media actually engages.'

Network 83
article thumbnail

Going the extra mile

Learning with e's

The previous post highlighted issues around the theory of Communities of Practice, from the work of Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger. In this post, I'm revisiting a well known and heavily used motivational theory - Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs. Most versions of Maslow's Hierarchy are represented as pyramids.

Maslow 40
article thumbnail

Our mutual friends

Learning with e's

It fascinated social psychologist Stanley Milgram. So Milgram''s notion of six degrees is not so much a theory of learning, more a social contact theory, but it has significant implications for learning in the social media age. Who we know and who they know, he believed, define our social structure.

article thumbnail

The point of no return

Learning with e's

The previous post featured Abraham Maslow''s Hierarchy of Human Needs. Bandura Social Learning Theory 4. Festinger Social Comparison Theory 11. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Previous posts in this series are all linked below. In this post, I will examine Jack Merizow''s Transformative Learning theory.

Cognitive 101
article thumbnail

In two minds

Learning with e's

Bandura Social Learning Theory 4. Festinger Social Comparison Theory 11. Lave and Wenger Communities of Practice 26. Maslow Hierarchy of Human Needs 27. Anderson ACT-R Cognitive Architecture 2. Argyris Double Loop Learning 3. Bruner Scaffolding Theory 5. Craik and Lockhart Levels of Processing 6.