Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Learning Objects Remove Tagging
article thumbnail

Making Connections: Trends in Social Learning

Obsidian Learning

Building on the concept of communities of practice , Etienne Wenger (2009) has proposed a social theory of learning. The focus of this theory is “learning as social participation,” in which learners actively participate in the practices of social communities and construct personal identities in relation to these communities.

article thumbnail

Open all OERs

Learning with e's

The first question was from Mark Power (Bolton University, UK) who wondered why we should pay attention to OERs when reusable learning objects had apparently failed. OERs will also encourage more widespread repurposing of existing resources across wider groups and communities of practice, he predicted.

OER 67
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Informal Learning 2.0

Jay Cross

A modern learning ecology embraces departments and disciplines that were once considered separate functions: training, independent study, collaboration, knowledge management, corporate communications, organizational development, communities of practice, leadership development, expertise location and social media.

article thumbnail

Learning Agility: Re-Invention with Performer Support

Living in Learning

Formal training programs, whether live classroom or self-directed e-learning, typically contain learning objectives and often assessment of knowledge transfer. Performer Support, on the other hand, is a learning asset designed for immediate consumption in the context of work. Tags: Continuous Learning.

article thumbnail

Microlearning presentation at LearnTrends

Janet Clarey

I couldn’t really articulate differences between networks and communities of practice when Tony asked. New learning environments for the 21st century: Exploring the edge. Teacher trainees as learning object designers. Tags: Brandon Hall learntrends microlearning. Hoping some rubs off. Hierdeis, H.

article thumbnail

Scope of Learning Responsibility

The Learning Circuits

Karl Kapp helped me with the March 2008 Big Question which is: What is the Scope of our Responsibility as Learning Professionals? One was a Chief Learning Officer panel discussion where it seemed that supporting informal learning or communities of practice was not something they were considering.

article thumbnail

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Instructional Designers with Degrees: Survey Update

Learning Visions

It is extremely flexible and really embraces a lot of the concepts around real learning versus regurgitation of facts. I focused on Communities of Practice and learned quite a bit. Much of what I learn feeds right into these changes we see in the industry with the focus on informal learning and social media.