Remove Communities of Practice Remove Community Remove Learning Remove Problem

The differences between social professional networks and communities of practice

Matrix

The meaning ofcommunity’ has changed drastically with the spread of the internet and the rise of all the social networks. No longer confined by geography, people who share the same interests can connect, share and grow as a community online.

Recommended Reading Summary: A Chapter of “From Practice Fields to Communities of Practice”

Adobe Captivate

Last October, I posted some recommended reading that complemented one of my classes on gamification. I’ve since started writing chapter summaries (here is the first one ) so people can “preview” some of the great books out there and hopefully end up reading them! Chapter 2: From Practice Fields to Communities of Practice by Sasha Barab and Thomas Duffy (2012). based on levels of performance rather than academic interests.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

<div class=”page-chapo”>Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise.</div>

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise. How do communities of practice work?

Beyond Face-to-Face: Solving the Digital Practice Problem

Speaker: Bryan Naas, Director of Sales Enablement, Lessonly

Just like training and practice is the cornerstone of any top athlete or artist, the same is true in the workplace. But in the world of sales, practice is often restricted to conference room role-playing and in-person scenarios. Join Bryan Naas, Sales Enablement Director at Lessonly, to learn the tactics you can use to make digital practice a part of the fabric of your teams’ daily schedules.

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

One highlight of a learning management system is its collaboration within course participants. Extend this to the Subject Matter Experts and popular spokes-person through a defined communication framework and you have a community of practice in action!

KM 84

Communities of Practice in your LMS: A hidden KM tool

TalentLMS

One highlight of a learning management system is its collaboration within course participants. Extend this to the Subject Matter Experts and popular spokes-person through a defined communication framework and you have a community of practice in action!

KM 58

From Instructional Design to Enterprise Community Facilitation

ID Reflections

This is a long overdue post, the draft of which had been languishing in my dropbox for some time--half forgotten. But finally I felt this needs to see the light of day. I have reached something of a cross-roads in my career, and I wanted to document the process of this arrival. It has been a long and exciting journey so far, dotted with exciting projects, some wonderful clients, and a tremendous amount of learning. The age of social learning is here.

Knowledge, practice and community

Learning with e's

After a break from blogging during the summer break, I''m back, and here is the continuation of my series on theories of learning, with number 25. The previous post highlighted issues around the situated learning theory of Jean Lave. Argyris Double Loop Learning 3.

Give Learners a Voice by Incorporating Social Learning

Adobe Captivate

If you’re a fan of Adobe Captivate Prime, you may be aware of the new social learning features that were just released. My favorite new feature has to be the discussion boards, which allow groups of learners to share web based and user generated content easily.

Voice 63

Using an eWorkshop to initiate or enrich a community

The eLearning Nomad

One of our new clients, a small NGO with a wide network of local partners in Africa and Latin America is building an e-learning program from scratch. The Moodle site is up and running and now we’re brainstorming on how best to structure the platform to support the needs of the organisation and its partners. Helping their partners to make a difference involves deep learning – together. This is the focus of the e-facilitation workshops I run 4-5 times every year.

Lurking is Not a Static State

ID Reflections

Lurking and its role in communities has been on the forefront of my mind for the past few days. It has received a lot of attention in the past from the thought leaders in the realm of learning and the role of communities in personal as well as organizational learning.

KM 219

Using an eWorkshop to initiate or enrich a community

The eLearning Nomad

One of our new clients, a small NGO with a wide network of local partners in Africa and Latin America is building an e-learning program from scratch. The Moodle site is up and running and now we’re brainstorming on how best to structure the platform to support the needs of the organisation and its partners. Helping their partners to make a difference involves deep learning – together. This is the focus of the e-facilitation workshops I run 4-5 times every year.

Ambient learning

Learning with e's

Photograph from Pexels One of the most valuable properties in any organisation is intellectual capital - the intangible value of a business generated by its people. The answer is to value staff by providing them with relevant learning opportunities as they work.

Podcast 12: Collaborative Medical Education at Vermont Oxford Network

Talented Learning

WELCOME TO EPISODE 12 OF THE TALENTED LEARNING SHOW! To learn more about this podcast series or to see the full collection of episodes visit The Talented Learning Show main page. Learning Systems Manager, John McGregor , Ed.D. WANT TO LEARN MORE?

Are your community's lurkers healthy lurkers?

Joitske Hulsebosch eLearning

I've blogged about lurking before , investigating whether lurking in online forums is a sort of legitimate peripheral participation that leads to people learning about the practices of a community of practice. This time we tried to analyze whether lurking in online forums is a problem or a bliss for companies. The definition of lurking is as people who NEVER post, hence they don't share their questions, ideas or suggestions online.

The Angry Birds Community: Social Learning Utopia?

Dashe & Thomson

The game was introduced to me by my 10-year-old daughter, and we both seem to have the same (huge) amount of fun with it. Of course, actually creating effective eLearning with the same level of fun and excitement as Angry Birds would be a tall order, but it’s a worthy goal.

Six Tenets of Community Management: Learnings

ID Reflections

Ihave been somewhat lazy but I also deliberately stayed away from posting as Itried to consolidate and synthesise all that I was learning. I have beenplaying the role of an enterprise community manager for some time now—6 monthsto be precise—and thought it would be a good idea to jot down my learnings fromthe past few months. I can’t remember where I read it, but this is the quote thatinspires me: To solve tough problems, have tough problems.

The clusterfuck known as social learning

Janet Clarey

Sorry for the vulgarity in the title but I read a whopper of a quote from my always thought-provoking colleague, Gary Woodill, and what ensued in my mind was nothing more than a clusterfuck. (My My definition of clusterfuck is complicated confusion and chaos.)

Communities and Networks Connection

Tony Karrer

This is a great week for content communities. And there's a very interesting effect and a realization (aha moment) I've had about all of this that I describe near the bottom. She has been my go to person for all things Community for years. To me the inverse of this is true.

Creating a Vibrant Learning Community

Kapp Notes

Today I am presenting at Immaculata University on the topic of Creating a Vibrant Learning Community as part of a faculty workshop. Here are my slides (although SlideShare did something to some of the photographs on my slides.sorry about that.) Communities Of Practice View SlideShare presentation or Upload your own. They are under tremendous amounts of stress. They have a consumer expectation of education. community

7 Strategies to Facilitate “Working Out Loud”

Learnnovators

I spent the greater part of the weekend mulling over the practice of working out loud, what makes some folks adopt the habit with ease while others struggle, and what could be some of the possible enabling factors that support working out loud. Is there fear of ridicule?

I Believe in the Importance of a Personal Learning Network

Tom Spiglanin

When I started using Twitter for my professional growth and development, I didn’t realize that I was also starting to build my personal learning network. I simply found myself tweeting at a learning and development conference using its hashtag and others began connecting with me.

Mental models are the agents of learning

Clark Quinn

I’ve talked before about mental models , and they’re important for learning. They may not help in new areas, but they give us a basis for new and unique combinations of circumstances. Senge, in The Learning Organization talked about mental models as one of his 5 disciplines.

Learning with and from others

Litmos

My editor here on the SAP Litmos blog, Samantha Lang , commented that she had been hearing quite a bit about “group versus individual learning” the previous week at a learning conference, and wondered whether I had anything to say on the subject. Oh, I hadn’t thought of it that way.”

SAP 67

Social Learning: August Pick of the Posts

Jane Hart

The focus of my August Pick of the Posts is social learning, and these posts all include some great graphics too. They’ll talk about problems. Some will give up and never learn to use the product. Communities emerge. Social learning

Personal Learning Networks: For Ongoing Learning in a Connected World

ID Reflections

I have recently joined the open section of #MSLOC 430 - a graduate course in the Master''s Program in Learning and Organizational Change at Northwestern University. Here''s a list of related posts on learning in a networked world. A PLN is an enabler of such learning.

What it means to transform workplace learning

Jane Hart

This is a re-work of a previous post. There is a lot of talk about transforming workplace learning. The 3 categories of effort for business transformation are: Operational. This is the use of new technologies to solve old problems. Social learning

Are Managers Too Busy to Learn?

The Performance Improvement Blog

One of the barriers to creating and sustaining a learning culture in organizations is the no-time myth. Kieran suggests that if managers were less task-focused and ran better meetings, they would have more time and, therefore, would be more likely to attend learning events.

7 Challenges to Social Learning

Origin Learning

Social Learning is a self-propagating concept, that is- once a social learning culture is achieved in an organization. Here we try to enlist the top challenges which hinder social learning from becoming a reality in organizations: 1.

LearnTrends: Extending Learning to the Edges of Organizations

Experiencing eLearning

Live blogged notes from Extending Learning to the Edges of Organizations with Charles Jennings & Andy McGovern. Official description: Thomson Reuters meets the challenge of supporting the learning and development of its employees across the world through the innovative use of technology and a strategy based on the 70:20:10 model. The firm has recently deployed learning solutions using 2.0 70% learn and develop thru experience. Practice.

What is Connections: xAPI?

MakingBetter

When we’re at a large tradeshow, people often approach us to talk about the applications of xAPI in solving their company’s problems. We love it, but there’s never enough time for deep conversations about performance outcomes or how to account for the learning and performance activities that actually matter. This is about sharing, hands-on practice, and collaborative design. Strands are focused on making, designing, or learning.

xapi 195

Eight Leader Habits of a Learning Culture

The Performance Improvement Blog

Eight leader habits are essential to a learning culture. These are behaviors ingrained in the routines and rituals of organizations that are continually learning and learning how to learn. This message is in the guiding principles of the business.

L&D's New Hatrack

ID Reflections

This article appeared in Inside Learning Technologies & Skills Magazine, January 2015 Our professional, personal, and private lives are being heavily impacted by a world that has become Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous (a.k.a. This requires constant engagement with the community.

PKM 142

The Changing Face of Work and Workplace Learning

Learnnovators

Now that my disclaimers are in place, let me explain the premise of the post title and what I intend to discuss in this post. Technology has brought about unprecedented changes at a pace that is challenging all notions of flexibility and adaptability. I am not the kind to crystal gaze.

IBM 203