Real Community?

Clark Quinn

He claims that many of our institutions (and he means more than schools, but groups, organizations, etc) are really networks, not communities, and can’t provide the nurture we need from others: “Networks do great harm by appearing enough like real communities to create expectations that they can manage human social and psychological needs.&#. This got me thinking about social media, and how often we call them online communities, but the question is: are they really?

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Half of Companies Blocking Facebook

Learning Visions

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 Half of Companies Blocking Facebook Christy Tucker has been musing on Social Networking as LMS: Problems and Opportunities. One real problem is corporate fear of social networking tools. Im no Facebook super-user and I havent experienced a huge time suck from it, but I suppose its possible. But what information is it that is actually being "leaked" through Facebook by these irresponsible employees ?

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

<div class=”page-chapo”>Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise.</div> </div> The theory around communities of practice was developed by Etienne Wenger and Jean Lave in the early 1990s. Suddenly, ad hoc communities of practice were transformed into engines for management reframing.

Knowledge, practice and community

Learning with 'e's

In this post, I extend this idea into the work Lave did with Etienne Wenger, which has become known as Communities of Practice. The work of Lave and Wenger advances this concept, turning its focus to the people who make up the learning communities we are all a part of. Communities of Practice (CoP) are made up of people who have a common purpose and interest, and who are essentially learning together.

Developing a Results Driven Curriculum

design a curriculum solution that: • has a clear goal tied to a well- articulated business problem, • meets the needs of your target. to solve the business problems that need solving. clear on your business problem and desired outcomes. problem? problem and desired result.

How to Grow Your Community and Niche Network through a Virtual Summit with Jan Koch from WP Agency Summit

LifterLMS

Learn how to grow your community and niche network through a virtual summit with Jan Koch from WP Agency Summit in this episode of the LMScast podcast hosted by Chris Badgett from LifterLMS. To learn more about Jan Koch, be sure to check out his Facebook group WP Mastery.

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise. The theory around communities of practice was developed by Etienne Wenger and Jean Lave in the early 1990s. With the arrival in the workplace of millennials, otherwise known as “the Facebook generation” the concept of communities of practice has been given a rocket booster.

TCC08: What can Educators Learn from Online Religious Communities?

Experiencing eLearning

Based on seminar where doctoral students created online community projects. The seminar raised a question about whether online religious communities could be a model for online educational experiences. Technical problems. Didn’t really create a sense of community. She had not used a chat room, IM, Facebook, or MySpace before joining a site called OurPrayer.org. Feels a sense of community with the group–technology has connected her with others.

I finally succumbed to Facebook

Clive on Learning

I hadn't intended to sign up with Facebook. I had no idea what to expect from Facebook and, a couple of weeks later, my expectations remain very fuzzy. In this sense I would like Facebook to demonstrate more value than other online communities that I have participated in. The problem isn't Facebook so much as all those apps that prompt users to 'send this to ten of your friends'." If I change my mind after a few more months of Facebook, I'll let you kno

Navigating the Digital Ecosystem, Preselling, and the Problems with the Culture of Free with Robin Harris

LifterLMS

Navigating the digital ecosystem, preselling, and the problems with the culture of free with Robin Harris in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Chris and Robin dive into why cultivating a community around your product is important, and what the state of the online education industry looks like in 2018. Sites like Facebook sell space to advertisers, and that is how they make money off of you as the product. Facebook is financed by ads.

Are Facebook friends real friends?

Clive on Learning

While many suggest that friendships, like communities, are collapsing, others claim that we have never been so well and closely connected. Facebook users in the UK, a 300% increase on the year. The average Facebook user has 150 friends (suddenly I feel unloved). Looked at in this light, Facebook is alleviating what could be a much worse problem. Many of my blogging colleagues have now become my Facebook friends.

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: With Community Comes Great Responsibility

Learning Visions

Thursday, August 09, 2007 With Community Comes Great Responsibility In reflecting over the benefits of the first week or so of the 31 Days to Better Blogging Challenge , the biggest thing for me has been the overall boost in community. But with community comes great responsibility. (Im My problem is I often forget to click the icon. This is where the community part of the whole shebang really happens.

Helping Women Get Their Groove Back by Building Communities and Strong Support Networks from Rural Areas with Rebecca Undem

LifterLMS

Helping women get their groove back by building communities and strong support networks from rural areas with Rebecca Undem in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Chris and Rebecca discuss many topics relevant to course creators, such as community building and how to overcome the isolation faced by many online entrepreneurs. Rebecca grew up in a small farming community in North Dakota with a population of 1,800 people.

My professional use of social media and communication tools

Challenge to Learn

I have a private Facebook account too, but I hardly use it. We did consider creating a community there for our free edition, but in the end we decided to go with Yammer (see communities). We now use Facebook more for announcements and things like that. Following others in twitter becomes more and more a problem if you follow too many. Communities. We have a community for our partners build in DotNetNuke.

Find out if social learning chemistry works for you!

Origin Learning

Challenges faced included the following: To encourage a peer-to-peer problem-solving approach between employees. Create a community to share best practices to ensure that the customer experience continuously improves. Encourage a system that enabled peer-to-peer problem solving between employees. With the increasing penetration of smart technologies, how do you make the transfer of knowledge seamless, smooth, and simple ?

How to Launch a Successful Online Course MVP, Generate Multiple Income Streams, and Build a Team with Divi Community Leader David Blackmon of Aspen Grove Studios

LifterLMS

How to launch a successful online course MVP, generate multiple income streams, and build a team with Divi community leader David Blackmon of Aspen Grove Studios in this episode of LMScast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. It gained a lot of popularity in the WordPress community, because it has an intuitive page building platform, and you don’t need to know any code in order to create a WordPress website using Divi. You can also find him on Instagram , Twitter , and Facebook.

How to MOOC: Social Media in the Corporate Classroom, Part 2

Your Training Edge

Facebook, aka social networking. Facebook is the prime place for people to connect, and studies have shown that college students (i.e., those entering the workforce) prefer using Facebook to discussion forums hosted within an LMS. Many MOOCs have Facebook pages set up either by the instructors or by groups of ambitious students. For content sharing, Pinterest is hugely popular and already used by members of many professional communities.

e-Learning Acupuncture: Technology, Colleges and Community Online Conference

E-Learning Acupuncture

Thursday, December 20, 2007 Technology, Colleges and Community Online Conference I live in Canada and these days everywhere I look, I see snow. The Technology, Colleges and Community (TCC) Conference is hosted by Kapiolani Community College, in Honolulu, Hawaii. Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz Posted by Eric at 10:19 AM Reactions: Labels: conference , online 0comments: Post a Comment Newer Post Older Post Home Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) Eric A.

Addressing On-Demand Learning and Performance Needs #LCBQ | Social.

Dashe & Thomson

Social Learning Blog Training and Performance Improvement in the Real World Home About Bios Subscribe to RSS Addressing On-Demand Learning and Performance Needs #LCBQ by Andrea on May 9, 2011 in performance support Each month, Tony Karrer at The Learning Circuits Blog posts a “Big Question&# for the learning and development community (Twitter hashtag #LCBQ). The questions prompt quite a lively and interesting discussion among online community members.

Jaime Casap – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

called Google Fiber , where we are bringing fiber connectivity to different communities. Or, a kid can be in his dorm room, think up a better way to create a social network of people as opposed to looking people up in a static library and you can create Facebook. Instead, I ask students what problem they want to solve. What problem spins in their head? What problem are they interested in? ABOUT JAIME CASAP (Chief Education Evangelist at Google, Inc.).

Google 100

JAIME CASAP – CRYSTAL BALLING WITH LEARNNOVATORS

Learnnovators

called Google Fiber , where we are bringing fiber connectivity to different communities. Or, a kid can be in his dorm room, think up a better way to create a social network of people as opposed to looking people up in a static library and you can create Facebook. Instead, I ask students what problem they want to solve. What problem spins in their head? What problem are they interested in? We are preparing kids to solve problems that are going to be very complex.

Google 100

Dramatic Use of Educational Data Mining in Corporate eLearning

Adobe Captivate

Facebook knows to suggest new friends, Netflix knows the television shows you would like, and you look up Trip Advisor to check the highest rated restaurant, betting on the statistical data that you will have a good stay. EDM was born to tackle problems like these. Blog eLearning eLearning Community blog corporate eLearning Corporate Training data analytics elearning communityData in Day-to-Day Life. Every day 2.5

Smarter Uses for Social Media

Association eLearning

Recently, Maddie Grant at Social Fish presented on the topic of engagement in online communities. 3) Community Partnership. Try creating an event page on Facebook that members can “join”. Now that’s providing solutions before the problem. Community Partnership. I know it doesn’t seem so obvious at first, but now that I’ve mentioned community partnerships in social media you’re probably having a “duh” moment, right? Share this on Facebook.

How to Compete with FREE eLearning

Association eLearning

The problem with very general offerings is that they offer little value to your members and chances are, similar content may already exist, perhaps it’s even available for free from another association or education provider. Share this on Facebook. Everyone loves free. Free coffee, free Wi-Fi, just about anything “free” is good, right? Not necessarily.

Free 150

The 10 Commandments of Microblogging

E-Learning Provocateur

Some don’t even have a Facebook account, let alone Twitter. This in itself isn’t a problem. And this can be a problem, because it frequently distracts other participants, discourages other noobs from joining in, and generally makes the whole process of peer-to-peer knowledge sharing much less efficient than it otherwise could be. Nevertheless, I hope they provide some semblance of order that will extract the most out of our corporate communities.

Caveat Auditor: The Role Of Critical Thinking In Modern Business Training

Adobe Captivate

Employers lament the inability of new employees to think critically and solve problems creatively – placing the blame firmly on the high school or college training of the incoming employees. Critical thinking involves a well-organized thought process that is focused on solving problems, analyzing and researching relevant research, willing to challenge assumptions, open to new possibilities and approaches, aware of the limitations and scope of analysis, reflective and transparent.

Roles 72

Social Silliness

Clark Quinn

Let’s go through them: A Facebook Group Or A Forum, or both. But Facebook is not ! Expecting everyone to have to be open to being on Facebook isn’t a good expectation. While I’m on Facebook (and no, don’t connect to me there, that’s for personal relationships, not professional ones; go see me on LinkedIn ;), I know folks who aren’t and won’t be. But ultimately, the community should be interacting with each other, not L&D.

Social 138

Weapons of mass deception?

Learning with 'e's

How much of these problems are actually the fault of the social media, and to what extent are Facebook, Twitter and other popular platforms actually culpable? What schools and communities can do however, is provide better education for all users. digital citizenship education FaceBook fake news learning schools social media teachers TwitterImage by Mike McKenzie via www.vpnsrus.com Fake news. Alternative facts. Deception.

Getting the Board behind Online Learning Part 1

Association eLearning

Online learning is a solution to a problem, so spend some time analyzing your association’s challenges or voids that eLearning can help fulfill. If you can present a solution to a problem, rather than just another “new idea,” your board will be more inclined to listen and see the benefit to the association. . Share this on Facebook. For many associations and nonprofits, a new eLearning initiative requires approval from their board.

Online 121

The 10 Commandments of Microblogging

E-Learning Provocateur

Some don’t even have a Facebook account, let alone Twitter. This in itself isn’t a problem. And this can be a problem, because it frequently distracts other participants, discourages other noobs from joining in, and generally makes the whole process of peer-to-peer knowledge sharing much less efficient than it otherwise could be. Nevertheless, I hope they provide some semblance of order that will extract the most out of our corporate communities.

Need Help with LearnDash? Start Here.

LearnDash

If you don’t have a specific problem to solve but are instead looking for advice or guidance, there’s only so much our support team can do. Be as specific as you can be about your problem. Still having problems?

Help 243

Social Network = Social Class?

Kapp Notes

Anna Owens says "MySpace has one population, Facebook has another." A study by market research firm Nielsen Claritas found that people in more affluent demographics are 25 percent more likely to be found friending on Facebook , while the less affluent are 37 percent more likely to connect on MySpace. Almost 23 percent of Facebook users earn more than $100,000 a year, compared to slightly more than 16 percent of MySpace users. community Web 2.0

How to Choose an LMS That’s Right for Your Association

Abila

According to Community Brands 2018 Member Education and Career Development Report , 85 percent of members want organizations to provide continuing education opportunities. They suggest starting by identifying and clarifying objectives and asking what opportunities you’d like to take advantage of and what problems you’re trying to solve. If you've enjoyed this post, be sure to follow Abila on Twitter , Facebook , Google+ and Linkedin.

RFP 40

Top eLearning Trends For 2018

Adobe Captivate

It is not about chunking complex procedures or teaching problem-solving skills. Tools like Facebook or Twitter are not for professional environments. Blog eLearning eLearning Community blog elearning community microlearning mobile Learning trendseLearning adoption is growing steadily across the globe in the last few years. With newer technologies and devices, the approach and mode of eLearning adoption are changing rapidly, too.

Free e-Learning books

eFront

News from the e-learning frontier Pages Home About Community Free e-Learning Resources Contribute to the e-Learning Community 11/14/2010 Free e-Learning books Since I am a great fun of open source software ( Open Source Authoring Tools for e-Learning , Free and Open Source Web Conferencing Tools for e-Learning ) and active member of online communities I created the following list with free e-Learning books. =>

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: My Second Second Life Experience

Learning Visions

At Virtual Learning Worlds "Bartman" responds to that Wired article (A Deserted Second Life) : The problem I have with it [the Wired article], is that it deals almost COMPLETELY with Second Life as it pertains to marketing and corporations…and inevitabley why SL sucks in that space. So it turns out shes an instructors assistant at a community college that is starting to experiment with SL.

A Meeting Platform to Deliver Webinars? Not so Fast!

Abila

In contrast, a good technology partnership with a vendor that focuses on organizations just like yours will likely request feedback through multiple channels, addressing any problems, while prioritizing recommendations on the product roadmap. . If you've enjoyed this post, be sure to follow Abila on Twitter , Facebook , Google+ and Linkedin. We know association members are now learning anytime, anywhere, and in a variety of different formats (five on average!).

WebEx 40