Knowledge, practice and community

Learning with e's

In this post, I extend this idea into the work Lave did with Etienne Wenger, which has become known as Communities of Practice. The work of Lave and Wenger advances this concept, turning its focus to the people who make up the learning communities we are all a part of.

Real Community?

Clark Quinn

He claims that many of our institutions (and he means more than schools, but groups, organizations, etc) are really networks, not communities, and can’t provide the nurture we need from others: “Networks do great harm by appearing enough like real communities to create expectations that they can manage human social and psychological needs.&#. This got me thinking about social media, and how often we call them online communities, but the question is: are they really?

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

<div class=”page-chapo”>Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise.</div>

How to Create a Successful Community of Practice

Learning Wire

Communities of practice have existed within organizations for many years, usually taking the form of a group of people gathering together to share knowledge, to motivate each other, and build their expertise. How do communities of practice work? Why is a community of practice useful?

Developing a Results Driven Curriculum

design a curriculum solution that: • has a clear goal tied to a well- articulated business problem, • meets the needs of your target. to solve the business problems that need solving. clear on your business problem and desired outcomes. problem? problem and desired result.

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: Half of Companies Blocking Facebook

Learning Visions

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 Half of Companies Blocking Facebook Christy Tucker has been musing on Social Networking as LMS: Problems and Opportunities. One real problem is corporate fear of social networking tools. Im no Facebook super-user and I havent experienced a huge time suck from it, but I suppose its possible. But what information is it that is actually being "leaked" through Facebook by these irresponsible employees ?

TCC08: What can Educators Learn from Online Religious Communities?

Experiencing eLearning

Based on seminar where doctoral students created online community projects. The seminar raised a question about whether online religious communities could be a model for online educational experiences. Technical problems. Didn’t really create a sense of community. She had not used a chat room, IM, Facebook, or MySpace before joining a site called OurPrayer.org. Feels a sense of community with the group–technology has connected her with others.

Navigating the Digital Ecosystem, Preselling, and the Problems with the Culture of Free with Robin Harris

LifterLMS

Navigating the digital ecosystem, preselling, and the problems with the culture of free with Robin Harris in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Sites like Facebook sell space to advertisers, and that is how they make money off of you as the product.

I finally succumbed to Facebook

Clive on Learning

I hadn't intended to sign up with Facebook. I had no idea what to expect from Facebook and, a couple of weeks later, my expectations remain very fuzzy. In this sense I would like Facebook to demonstrate more value than other online communities that I have participated in. The problem isn't Facebook so much as all those apps that prompt users to 'send this to ten of your friends'." If I change my mind after a few more months of Facebook, I'll let you kno

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: With Community Comes Great Responsibility

Learning Visions

Thursday, August 09, 2007 With Community Comes Great Responsibility In reflecting over the benefits of the first week or so of the 31 Days to Better Blogging Challenge , the biggest thing for me has been the overall boost in community. But with community comes great responsibility. (Im

Find out if social learning chemistry works for you!

Origin Learning

Challenges faced included the following: To encourage a peer-to-peer problem-solving approach between employees. Create a community to share best practices to ensure that the customer experience continuously improves.

Are Facebook friends real friends?

Clive on Learning

While many suggest that friendships, like communities, are collapsing, others claim that we have never been so well and closely connected. Facebook users in the UK, a 300% increase on the year. The average Facebook user has 150 friends (suddenly I feel unloved). Looked at in this light, Facebook is alleviating what could be a much worse problem. Many of my blogging colleagues have now become my Facebook friends.

Helping Women Get Their Groove Back by Building Communities and Strong Support Networks from Rural Areas with Rebecca Undem

LifterLMS

Helping women get their groove back by building communities and strong support networks from rural areas with Rebecca Undem in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Rebecca grew up in a small farming community in North Dakota with a population of 1,800 people.

My professional use of social media and communication tools

Challenge to Learn

I have a private Facebook account too, but I hardly use it. We did consider creating a community there for our free edition, but in the end we decided to go with Yammer (see communities). We now use Facebook more for announcements and things like that. Communities.

How to Launch a Successful Online Course MVP, Generate Multiple Income Streams, and Build a Team with Divi Community Leader David Blackmon of Aspen Grove Studios

LifterLMS

How to launch a successful online course MVP, generate multiple income streams, and build a team with Divi community leader David Blackmon of Aspen Grove Studios in this episode of LMScast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. You can also find him on Instagram , Twitter , and Facebook.

How to MOOC: Social Media in the Corporate Classroom, Part 2

Your Training Edge

Facebook, aka social networking. Facebook is the prime place for people to connect, and studies have shown that college students (i.e., those entering the workforce) prefer using Facebook to discussion forums hosted within an LMS.

e-Learning Acupuncture: Technology, Colleges and Community Online Conference

E-Learning Acupuncture

Thursday, December 20, 2007 Technology, Colleges and Community Online Conference I live in Canada and these days everywhere I look, I see snow. The Technology, Colleges and Community (TCC) Conference is hosted by Kapiolani Community College, in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Smarter Uses for Social Media

Association eLearning

Recently, Maddie Grant at Social Fish presented on the topic of engagement in online communities. 3) Community Partnership. Try creating an event page on Facebook that members can “join”. Now that’s providing solutions before the problem. Community Partnership.

Addressing On-Demand Learning and Performance Needs #LCBQ | Social.

Dashe & Thomson

The questions prompt quite a lively and interesting discussion among online community members. In a recent post What Makes a Successful Community Manager? Particularly for those communities formed online or in close proximity.

Weapons of mass deception?

Learning with e's

How much of these problems are actually the fault of the social media, and to what extent are Facebook, Twitter and other popular platforms actually culpable? What schools and communities can do however, is provide better education for all users.

Dramatic Use of Educational Data Mining in Corporate eLearning

Adobe Captivate

Facebook knows to suggest new friends, Netflix knows the television shows you would like, and you look up Trip Advisor to check the highest rated restaurant, betting on the statistical data that you will have a good stay. EDM was born to tackle problems like these.

How to Compete with FREE eLearning

Association eLearning

The problem with very general offerings is that they offer little value to your members and chances are, similar content may already exist, perhaps it’s even available for free from another association or education provider. Share this on Facebook. Everyone loves free.

Free 195

Jaime Casap – Crystal Balling with Learnnovators

Learnnovators

called Google Fiber , where we are bringing fiber connectivity to different communities. Or, a kid can be in his dorm room, think up a better way to create a social network of people as opposed to looking people up in a static library and you can create Facebook. Instead, I ask students what problem they want to solve. What problem spins in their head? What problem are they interested in? ABOUT JAIME CASAP (Chief Education Evangelist at Google, Inc.).

Google 100

Social Silliness

Clark Quinn

Let’s go through them: A Facebook Group Or A Forum, or both. But Facebook is not ! Expecting everyone to have to be open to being on Facebook isn’t a good expectation. But ultimately, the community should be interacting with each other, not L&D.

Social 211

Getting the Board behind Online Learning Part 1

Association eLearning

Online learning is a solution to a problem, so spend some time analyzing your association’s challenges or voids that eLearning can help fulfill. Share this on Facebook. For many associations and nonprofits, a new eLearning initiative requires approval from their board.

Online 158

The 10 Commandments of Microblogging

E-Learning Provocateur

Some don’t even have a Facebook account, let alone Twitter. This in itself isn’t a problem. Nevertheless, I hope they provide some semblance of order that will extract the most out of our corporate communities.

Caveat Auditor: The Role Of Critical Thinking In Modern Business Training

Adobe Captivate

Employers lament the inability of new employees to think critically and solve problems creatively – placing the blame firmly on the high school or college training of the incoming employees. Sometimes the problem is not so obviously attributed to emotion.

Roles 93

The 10 Commandments of Microblogging

E-Learning Provocateur

Some don’t even have a Facebook account, let alone Twitter. This in itself isn’t a problem. Nevertheless, I hope they provide some semblance of order that will extract the most out of our corporate communities.

Social Network = Social Class?

Kapp Notes

Anna Owens says "MySpace has one population, Facebook has another." Almost 23 percent of Facebook users earn more than $100,000 a year, compared to slightly more than 16 percent of MySpace users. community Web 2.0

A Meeting Platform to Deliver Webinars? Not so Fast!

Abila

In contrast, a good technology partnership with a vendor that focuses on organizations just like yours will likely request feedback through multiple channels, addressing any problems, while prioritizing recommendations on the product roadmap. .

WebEx 52

Cammy Beans Learning Visions: My Second Second Life Experience

Learning Visions

At Virtual Learning Worlds "Bartman" responds to that Wired article (A Deserted Second Life) : The problem I have with it [the Wired article], is that it deals almost COMPLETELY with Second Life as it pertains to marketing and corporations…and inevitabley why SL sucks in that space.

Free e-Learning books

eFront

> If you have read any of the following books I will highly appreciate if you share your opinion with the e-Learning community. => These tips were different from past surveys in one significant way: Many of them contain detailed ActionScript code that will help you solve common problems.

How to Choose an LMS That’s Right for Your Association

Abila

According to Community Brands 2018 Member Education and Career Development Report , 85 percent of members want organizations to provide continuing education opportunities. They suggest starting by identifying and clarifying objectives and asking what opportunities you’d like to take advantage of and what problems you’re trying to solve. If you've enjoyed this post, be sure to follow Abila on Twitter , Facebook , Google+ and Linkedin.

5 Creative Ways to Market Your eLearning on a Budget

Association eLearning

Mention those members who achieved the “high score” at your next meeting, on your website or on your association’s Facebook page. Tips for Facebook – Share a special offer with those who “Like” your page on Facebook. If you have a few dollars in your marketing budget, you should also consider promoting your post using Facebook Ads. With Facebook Ads you decide who sees your posts and how much you spend. Well that’s a problem! Share this on Facebook.

Market 138

How to Replace Top-Down Training with Collaborative Learning (3)

Jay Cross

Salesforce.com’s social network application was inspired by Facebook. Connections to friends and colleagues, like Facebook and LinkedIn. You probably can’t afford, and definitely don’t need, to create your own Facebook or Google behind your firewall. Third post in a series.