article thumbnail

Very social software

Learning with e's

Two articles that have caught my eye deal with social software in education, and both have landed on my desk in the last few weeks. If you're interested in the impact blogs, wikis and social networking can have on the social and cultural dimensions of education, then take a read of them. Keywords: social software; Web 2.0;

article thumbnail

The survival of higher education (3): The Social Web

Learning with e's

Below are four reasons why the Social Web and associated media are changing higher education. Firstly.the Social Web connects people together At Plymouth University, we very quickly began to explore the ways Social Web tools could support our students.

Wiki 77
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Engaging online learners 2

Learning with e's

I wrote back in 2009 about how I had used the model to frame my own efforts to engage online learners, in wikis - collaborative web pages. 1995) Social presence theory and implications for interaction and collaborative learning in computer conferences. 2009) Destructive creativity on the social web. Wheeler, S.

Wiki 55
article thumbnail

50 Posts and Articles that Made Me Think in 2011

ID Reflections

and Social Business Initiatives Are Likely to Remain Difficult by JonHusband Community Management CommunityManagement: The Strategic New IT-Enabled Business Capability by DionHinchcliffe Communitymanagement: The 'essential' capability of successful Enterprise 2.0 approaches?

article thumbnail

Engaging online learners 1

Learning with e's

1995) Social presence theory and implications for interaction and collaborative learning in computer conferences. 2009) Destructive creativity on the social web. Social Software and Developing Community Ontologies. References Gunawardena, C. Wheeler, S. Hatzipanagos and S. Warburton (Eds.)

Wiki 76
article thumbnail

Exploring medical technologies

Learning with e's

Indeed, my top three all-time cited academic publications are: Wikis, blogs and podcasts : A new generation of web-based tools for virtual collaborative clinical practice and education (2006) The emerging Web 2.0 Unported License.

article thumbnail

100 eLearning Articles and White Papers

Tony Karrer

eLearn magazine: Feature Article Ten Web 2.0 Managing the Complexity of Forming an Online Networking Community: 14. Innovate: Moving from Theory to Real-World Experiences in an e-Learning Community 15. Building community in an online learning environment: communication, cooperation and collaboration 16.

Wiki 147